• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taurus install

when you put this han on did you still use the stock elec. fan too? or did you ditch it for the single taurus fan? i thought the tauraus fan was too big to put in place of the clutch fan and still use the stock elec. fan.

I didn't run the stock efan because mine grenaded. But you can definitely still use the stock efan, you just have to flip the taurus fan vertical instead of horizantal and push it all the way to the left (as you're looking at it) I believe gojeep did just that. But I'm not sure where in the hell he came up with all that extra room in front of his engine the pictures show. . .

I did run both but did cut away the old fan pulley for more room. Some have done it on LHD's since too so it is not just a RHD thing. I have been given some pictures and will throw them up to show a LHD version soon too.
Nice thing is the what hangs below the radiator on mine is used to cool a auto cooler as well and my auto has never run better. :)
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

I used the flexalite one which is rated at 20 amps, then used the controller to power an 80 amp relay. I wouldn't use that without running it in a similiar fashion

smcdonaldaz said:
Here's a thermal fan switch from Summit for only $39

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DER-16749

Anybody ever try one of these? Seems like a good price.

I have used one for a short while before tossing it. It is too sensetive. The difference in temperature between the on-off-on is too close. It causes to fans to cycle continuosly which caused the relays to burn. Another problen I had was after about 20 minutes of cycling, the unit would stop working completely until it cools. :doh:
If it could be made to work it would be good. It could control one fan directly. Another via external relay. It also have an input from the AC unit to turn on the fan/s when the AC is turned on.

i tried the taurus fan thing, didnt like the way it looked, so i put in 2 secondary fans from the newer xj`s and they work awsome, have had them in for over a year now and no problems,

I love the dual stock e-fan setup myself. Everyone has seen how good the stock e-fan is when it cuts on and brings the temps down. Just imagine how good two of those are(even though the stock location plays a bigger part than where the 2nd one is, at least in my experience). The 2nd fan cost me $17 at the JY and the temp switch cost $17 from Advanced. No worrying at all about a 70amp fuse/relay, high/low settings, nor getting it to fit(even though I had my bro cut and reweld the two tabs to fit the 2nd). I do note Gojeeps arrangement for cooling the auto, so in that case the Taurus might be the way to go.

Is the stock efan rated for continuous use? I bought a second stock efan with the intention of running 2 but was worried about durability over time. I just scored a taurus fan but have been waffling at which I should install. Because I live in the desert, i'm leaning toward the high volume of the taurus fan.

There should be no need to run any electric fan continuously. You would loose the main benefits as the extra alternator load could cancel out the fuel and power advantages over the mechanical fan.

I was at the JY the other day stripping a C4C ZJ of all the good stuff we like and noticed it had a coupler in the radiator hose just for a temp sensor. I can cut the hose in the middle and slip this in. I grabbed it and tested the sensor. It turns on at 175 and off at 165. I'm thinking of using that and a relay to control a second aux fan swapped for the mechanical. Any drawbacks to that?

What were they using the temp sensor for? Did they have an electric fan in the ZJ instead of the large clutch fan?

Not sure what it was used for. Saw it and thought "Hmmm..." and grabbed it since it was half price day I already had the taurus fan back home waiting for an install. If I can use this and not mess with a controller I'd rather do that. My thought is to use this to switch on the low speed and sense the aux fan for high speed.

I was thinking about doing what you did BB1980, but I like the idea of not having to worry about anything but turning it on and off. Dave4107 I'm going to run your schematic past the guy that pretty much drew up mine and see what he thinks. I'm not all that great with electricity. . . What do you feel is a pro/con of your setup vs. mine?

If you like the simpler setup of BB1980's wiring but don't like the switch setup just use a two position switch instead. One position would be auto-low and the other position would be high. Unless you wanted a totally off position, in which case the three position switch would be better. Or, you could use the two position for the control and then have a separate hidden switch that cuts power completely for you off position. That way, you still have the off for water crossings and what not but someone who doesn't know your Jeep won't accidentally shut the fan off and overheat it. That's probably what I'm going to do.

I grabbed it and tested the sensor. It turns on at 175 and off at 165. I'm thinking of using that and a relay to control a second aux fan swapped for the mechanical. Any drawbacks to that?

There are big draw backs to that. As the temps to switch on and off are lower than the stock 190 thermostat, the fan would always be on before it even warmed up! Why would you want that? Could stop the engine reaching correct operating temp so you will run rich and increase engine wear due to the lower temps.

There are big draw backs to that. As the temps to switch on and off are lower than the stock 190 thermostat, the fan would always be on before it even warmed up! Why would you want that? Could stop the engine reaching correct operating temp so you will run rich and increase engine wear due to the lower temps.

My thought was that if I was using the slow speed it would be equivalent to the mechanical fan running full time except it would warm up faster as the electric wouldn't start until 175. My engine warms up just fine with the mechanical fan running full time. Am I missing something?

It takes power from the alternator and therefore a increased load to run the fan at low speed. The mechnanical fan is just free spinning at a lower than pulley speed rate when temperture is low. Place your hand in front of the radiator and you will not feel the air being drawn through the radiator as little or no effect. Seen people just hold the fan at idle when cold but would not recommend it myself!
I have been running no mechnical fan but twin electric fans that do not come on until 205*F as dictated by the ECU for about 5 years now with no over heating problems. One Taurus and one stock A/C.

I understand the draw to the taurus fan because of the two speeds and the higher cfm ratses. Can one use two stock a/c fans? I've found that engine needs roughly 3000cfm to keep it cool, what cfm rate does a stock a/c fan have? I'm sure if varies by year, is there a website that list these differences in the stock a/c fan cfm rates?

I understand the draw to the taurus fan because of the two speeds and the higher cfm ratses. Can one use two stock a/c fans? I've found that engine needs roughly 3000cfm to keep it cool, what cfm rate does a stock a/c fan have? I'm sure if varies by year, is there a website that list these differences in the stock a/c fan cfm rates?

We run two stock fans on the racer and it does just fine at keeping temps under control. Nothing like miles of deep sand, 2nd gear, foot to the floor, to generate some heat. The stock fans work.

Thanks for the reply. On the newer style XJ, is the motor more effiecient/powerful or is it just in the fan blades?

Back