• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus fan write up?

barillms said:
I've tried 4 different electric fan set ups,
and spent 100 hours + working to find the best
set up. I did the homework to see what works,
and what doesn't.

Me too and we obviously ended up with different conclusions.

Yes I have had stock.
one mid sized puller and one 10" puller
3 10" pullers
Taurus and 10"
10, 14 puller and 10 pusher

3 10's was ok but didn't quite fit the radiator. I had to cut the shrouds to get them to fit and they flexed and ruined themselves.

The taurus the way I have it mounted works great, and adds big time cooling to the Transmission cooler.

Been running the Taurus fan for 3 years now towing my offroad camper in the Australian summer heat, which is over 100*F, is low range offroad and it has been the best setup I have ever had. Never once has it ever been a problem or cut out and still get emails from others that have fitted them with no problems at all.
The shroud sit nicely on the radiator core like it was designed to to do so sits nice and close to the radiator so the CORRECT installation will have it working fantastically.
Also it removes all the heat that the auto cooler normally puts through the radiator as well. The bonus is also the auto has never suffered a slow shift from getting too hot ever since fitting the Taurus with the cooler taking up the extra space exactly below the radator.
Just make sure the Taurus fan is a three wire one from a V6 90-95 only.

Mine.
Note how far forward the Radiator has been moved to fit everything properly.
jeep023.jpg

I'll have to update that photo, all of the wiring has been cleaned up and everything has a place now.

Also an old pic:

http://i13.tinypic.com/630v4fk.jpg

Ill have to get some new ones if anybody cares to see them...

I didnt move the radiator forward.. i just removed the fan pulley and bearing assembly and cut back the bracket for it about an inch or so.. Just like in Go-Jeeps instructions. Re-routing the belt getting a shorter one etc.

Its a TIGHT fit!

Muad'Dib said:
Also an old pic:

http://i13.tinypic.com/630v4fk.jpg

Ill have to get some new ones if anybody cares to see them...

I didnt move the radiator forward.. i just removed the fan pulley and bearing assembly and cut back the bracket for it about an inch or so.. Just like in Go-Jeeps instructions. Re-routing the belt getting a shorter one etc.

Its a TIGHT fit!

Looks good and wondered if I could use that picture on my write up as an example of a LHD fit up?

Gojeep said:
Looks good and wondered if I could use that picture on my write up as an example of a LHD fit up?

Of course..

This weekend ill get some more pics and post them here and email you the originals.

I did notice that you still have not added that relay to your write up.... Did you need any more information?

Muad'Dib said:
Of course..

This weekend ill get some more pics and post them here and email you the originals.

I did notice that you still have not added that relay to your write up.... Did you need any more information?

Thanks mate and I did add the relay information with your name and all the same day you gave it to me. It is in the text.

Gojeep said:
Thanks mate and I did add the relay information with your name and all the same day you gave it to me. It is in the text.

Could you post what link you put it on? I looked on the Taurus "How to Wire" page where you reference the HELLA relay, and im not seeing it... Maybe you put it somewhere else?

Anyway ironically i needed to replace my water pump this weekend, so i figured thats an even better opportunity to get pics of my install...

Here are a few:

And here is the full album:

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n57/CTschantz1/Taurus Fan/

Gojeep said:
Last part of the first paragraph I mention about the relay you used. ;) http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall2.htm
I have grabbed the pictures I need from the album and will add a little LHD version to the write up.
Thanks for that.

Sweet .. i dont know how i missed that :wierd:

Anyway, i hope the pics work out for you... if you need any others, or need any more information, just let me know.

Muad'Dib said:
Sweet .. i dont know how i missed that :wierd:

Anyway, i hope the pics work out for you... if you need any others, or need any more information, just let me know.

Do you have the specs/part number of the serpentine belt that you had to use after removing the mechanical fan pulley?

You still need the pulley to drive the water pump. You just omit the fan, unless I skimmed to quickly and am totally off here.

The water pump pulley is still mounted but the mechanical fan pulley has been cut off. With the mechanical fan pulley being removed, I needed to know what belt to use since it will be shorter.

2045K6--at least for the 96 setup w/99+manifold. You'll have to grind the alternator bracket and the pointer thingy to the right of the 0* timing mark.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have specified that I have an 89 XJ. I may just wait to do this modification since I am putting in a 4.6L stroker this week.

I have added the pictures from Muad'Dib for a LHD view now to the original write up.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
Comes up on page 2 now.
As for the belt, I dont know about LHD but I was able to still use the stock belt on my RHD 95. I was able to check even before I cut off the fan pulley mount by just running the belt in the new pattern leaving it out of the run. Be worth trying for you.

Back