• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case slipping popping banging

filterbiz

NAXJA Forum User
like the topic says seems to enguage fine and doesnt make any noise until i get to a good hill with a load, then bang bang bang bang. but it goes right up and i know the 4x4 is working because theres no way it would make it up in 2wd. oh yeah this is all 4 high, haven't needed low.
help please.

thanks
chris

I'll go out on a limb, probably the chain has stretched and is slipping. Drain the fluid (take the fill port out first) and see if the fluid is silvery (like metal flake) or has chunks of metal in it - or smells burnt. Those are bad signs. Best bet is to get a replacement chain, pull the rear housing and do the chain. Check the inside of the case for wear where the chain would rub - could be some of the noise.

Easiest fix is a reman, but I got a bad deal on one of those. Mounting studs were too short, bad deal. No workee. Sent it back.

Mark

Is it the 242 or the 249 that has the viscus coupling? Otherwise I second the chain being stretched.

XJ 242 has no viscus coupling.

Buy a new chain.

Back