• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sylvania Silver Star Sealed Beams

Whether you have stock 35 watt bulbs or 100 watt bulbs, upgrading the wiring is a VERY good idea. Even a brand new XJ with stock bulbs would have brighter lights with upgraded wiring. A decade old XJ with old corroded wires can have a significant voltage drop to the bulbs. On my '96 the battery voltage with the engine running is 13.8v, while the lights are only getting 11.7v. With a 2 volt increase, any bulb will be *MUCH* brighter.

Eagle said:
Not just to get full effect. You need beefed up wiring just to prevent the existing plugs from melting.
Now if I can find a conversion page that I understand... GoJeep got it closest, but still wouldnt be as good as a diagram and a parts list.

Melting the plugs eh...would be motivation for me to get going on the upgrade... ;)

I run silver stars in my other car...but I have conversions in the XJ. I like both, but I like the conversions better. The beam pattern is great as stated above. Dont look down on me..but I ordered a set of APC Xenon Plasma White something or others from work. They are 85 watt lows. Not street legal, but I havent had any troubles. I also upgraded the harness with the APC kit. Great kit, dropped right in. I think it was bout $55 for the wiring kit. Not bad even for stock lights. It does make stock lights brighter. The bulbs were $30 for the pair. Those along with fog lights that have pilot hyper whites and a set of 100 watt driving lamps on the bumper will light up anything. All legally wired of course...as legal as they can get anyway. :) Still not knocking the silver stars, they are just so expensive. just my opinion. Ill have pics of my light set up soon...I did some trickery with them.

Justin

Cheaper, yes ..... Better, no.

The "full effect" running 100/80's on the streets will probably get you noticed by the local cops pretty quick.

:eek:

JeepsterXJ said:
Its actually cheaper to go with the bulbs that they have, by about $30.

I'm from MI, so there are no inspections (yea!)

If I got the 100/80w units you would think that I would have to upgrade the wiring to get the full effect though.

For the money silverstars are great. and when you get a little extra cash look into a upgraded harness. It helps even stock headlights. Then when you can finly afford to go H4, [it's really just the cost of the good lenses] then you can run whatever wattage bulb you desire.

Let me run this by you guys, as its still very thread related: Could I get the E-code beam pattern reflectors and then run silverstars until I gather the time and supplies to upgrade the harness? Couldn't fry anything with just silverstar bulbs as that would be the same as going to silverstar sealed beams wattage wise correct?

Yep .....that would work.
icon7.gif
JeepsterXJ said:
Let me run this by you guys, as its still very thread related: Could I get the E-code beam pattern reflectors and then run silverstars until I gather the time and supplies to upgrade the harness? Couldn't fry anything with just silverstar bulbs as that would be the same as going to silverstar sealed beams wattage wise correct?

Back