• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE + Driveshaft...under $100.00 (not 56k friendly)

ok I now have the same DS in the front as the rear no vibs sweet only took a hour to do.

P1260079.jpg

P1260082.jpg

P1260083.jpg
Make sure that when your suspension is fully drooped and the driveshaft is fully collasped the slip yoke can't come off the end of the xfer case output shaft. Or is the slipyoke somehow fixed to the output shaft so that it doesn't slide?

no problem

how hard is it to pull the shaft out of the tcase?

I have a lathe at work and school i can use to get the shaft perfect

and dont whole kit SYE's come with a new shaft? so maybe i can pick one up from sombody cheap and do this in my spare time, seeing as my jeep is a DD

how hard is it to pull the shaft out of the tcase?

I have a lathe at work and school i can use to get the shaft perfect

and dont whole kit SYE's come with a new shaft? so maybe i can pick one up from sombody cheap and do this in my spare time, seeing as my jeep is a DD

Only the Tom Woods one from memory comes with a shaft for the 242. The other you see are for a 231 not a 242.

If you are looking for the th350 bolt on yoke look for a 74-86 chevy or gmc3/4 or 1 ton 2wd pick up and mabe suburban NOT all are bolt on yokes I can find more info if the need is there I work at a wrecking yard

Been told they dont have the right bolt pattern for a double cardon shaft so no good.

SO i went and bought some all thread that was high grade, i guess its about 8? its 1/2 20 thread. Bought some 3/4" shackels and the rest of the plate for my rear bumper... it was about 84 dolars for everthing including the black paint to repain my new 8.8 rear end.

however the cost for the yoke locally is 120.... yikes

any where cheaper? also is there any year vehicles to look for it? i was told 83 to 91 chevy and gmc trucks...?

I just got my yoke from six states distributers on portland OR I got a compnay discount I payed $105. on a side note has any one spring loaded there drive shaft so they dont have to bolt the yoke on??? and no I checked and no wercking yard parts interchange 100%

I just got my yoke from six states distributers on portland OR I got a compnay discount I payed $105. on a side note has any one spring loaded there drive shaft so they dont have to bolt the yoke on??? and no I checked and no wercking yard parts interchange 100%

I got mine today $105.82. Well after talking with the counter guy he told me not to bother with the h&t that this yoke was made to just install as is and that they do it all the time. I also mentioned what gojeep had posted about the np231 was not made to have the weight of the cordon cv mounted on it like that. He basically said that was bs. (GOJEEP I AM JUST TELLING A STORY SO TAKE NO OFFENCE FROM ME) He whent on to tell me that chevy blazers and dodge dakoda was this way from the factoy and that the dodge has a np27? that had the same tail shaft parts as the 231.

I was thinking of trying it but after looking at some of the pics on this thread I would have to have my drive shaft that I got from a auto cherokee ($30.00) shortened and if I do that I may as well just bought a sye and drive shaft kit from driveshaftsuperstore.com for $325.00 so after turky I think I will start h&tping.

He whent on to tell me that chevy blazers and dodge dakoda was this way from the factoy and that the dodge has a np27? that had the same tail shaft parts as the 231.

so is the yoke we need found on those trucks? I'll be doing this soon and i'm trying to find the yoke at a junkyard to save some $$$

If you do take the risk of the extra leverage by not cutting the output shaft at all, you will miss on a big benefit of this conversion and that is to make the distance between the the axle and diff yokes as long as possible. The further they are apart the more you reduce the angles of the yokes which is what gave you the vibes in the first place. Also you will have a hell of a time drilling into the still hardened end of the output shaft. When you cut it back you are removing the hardness which is right around the outside only and only drilling into the non hardened part in the centre once shortened.
Your call.

By the way has anyone hacked a output shaft of with a hack saw? I think this might take some time.:looney:

:star:

haven't done it, but it would be quicker than you might think as long as you have plenty of good blades. Remember you've got the shaft spinning to keep it square so the engine's doing most of the work.

Back