• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE + Driveshaft...under $100.00 (not 56k friendly)

haven't done it, but it would be quicker than you might think as long as you have plenty of good blades. Remember you've got the shaft spinning to keep it square so the engine's doing most of the work.

That was a joke!! hehehe I thought some one would say your a retard. I have a porta-band I am going to use.

If you do take the risk of the extra leverage by not cutting the output shaft at all, you will miss on a big benefit of this conversion and that is to make the distance between the the axle and diff yokes as long as possible. The further they are apart the more you reduce the angles of the yokes which is what gave you the vibes in the first place. Also you will have a hell of a time drilling into the still hardened end of the output shaft. When you cut it back you are removing the hardness which is right around the outside only and only drilling into the non hardened part in the centre once shortened.
Your call.

When I was talking with him he said just to install it not even to cut the shaft down. But I think I will stick with what has been found to work and h&t mine like you did.

so is the yoke we need found on those trucks? I'll be doing this soon and i'm trying to find the yoke at a junkyard to save some $$$

Not sure just what he said. I know back when I had my 1st xj my boss at the time wanted to tow his dakota and needed a 231 out from a jeep. so I think I would look there.

didn't have any luck at the j/u today looking for the yoke but I didn't spend a lot of time there. I got a front driveshaft though looks like the perfect length! If anyone has any leads as to where to pick this yoke up without spending like $100 dollars let me know! I'm lifting the jeep again hopefully in the next month to 6" so the budgets a little tight...

will a 63-74 corvette yoke work? it looks right? but no returns if its wrong? i thing driveshaft super store has a yoke too. im going to call tom woods. six states wants $114 plus shipping $14,?

just went to lowes, got 1/2 tap,1/2 bolt,1/2 washer, cutting oil, angle finder, $30.09. adj control arm here on tues, xj driveshaft here on wed, waiting on mon to order yoke. sye coming soon!!!!!! O sorry i got a tj.

I have never under stood the logic when they build things in the auto industry. You buy a jeep it has a d30 in the front and a d35 in the rear why not just put a 30 or 35 in both ends or better yet 44's and save some money making different parts. I think it took till the Rubicon TJ when they finally put 44's front and rear. And the tj owners yank them out and replace them 60's. Hell why don't they just build all jeeps with Dana 80's with lockers and non slip yoke 231's 4.1 low range and just be done with it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Works great!!!! does not seam to work so great today. I posted before I removed the t/c drop. Now that it's gone some of the vibes have returned. I think I may need to shim my rear pinion angle up or maybe the drive line I got is just bad.

Just a little bit of driveline angle info might help, i found this little pamphlet very informative and straight forward.

http://www.iedls.com/guide.html

I have never under stood the logic when they build things in the auto industry,...
The logic:
Some F***ing bean counter says, "Well, we can get 40,000 sets of dana44 axles, or we could get 20,000 D-35s, and 20,000 D-30s for 2/3s the cost of the -44s, and still charge the same price for the finished vehicle! I just earned my bonus!

Hey guys, haven't been around in a while. Man this thread has blown up. Everything is still tip top and working great. Lots of miles on it with no problems so far.

I just got the yoke from a local driveshaft shop. ended up being 98.00 bucks. Already have an extra front driveshaft. hopefully I'll be putting mine in the weekend.

Another option.

I this ran for a while when I first started this XJ thing.....

driveshaft.jpg

I forget what it cost, I just know it served its purpose.

I also believe the parts are still available.

Another option.

I this ran for a while when I first started this XJ thing.....

driveshaft.jpg

I forget what it cost, I just know it served its purpose.

I also believe the parts are still available.

Thats the same yoke were cutting up to run front drive shafts in the back. What I was told the yoke was made to run like that. They made it as a cheep way out back in the day before t&h's and when true sye were new and over $500 for a kit less the drive shaft.

Back