• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sturdy Cell phone mount Smartphones in an XJ ?

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone run anything like this in their rigs? I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Finally figured out how to use Backcountry navigator and would like to purchase a mount that will hold up to wheelin'. Anyone have anything they recommend?

ALso, If it works out with the S3, I may consider a 7" tablet for offroad Navigation.

thanks!

i thought about this too once i got the Iphone4s, but then realized i would never use it like that while driving. i doubt i would stare at a small screen to tell me where i need to go while i am moving, so i figured if i needed the gps i would just stop, grab the phone, and check where i am and which way to go. most in dash GPS units used while driving are more of plotters that have the trails/roads pre marked while racing when there is no time to stop and figure out which way to go. just things to think about before you invest in a mount and advertize to would be thieves you have electronics in your jeep.

There's a recent thread around here, he mounted an Android tablet in the dash, complete with new molded surround, in a late model where the upper vents used to be.

i thought about this too once i got the Iphone4s, but then realized i would never use it like that while driving. i doubt i would stare at a small screen to tell me where i need to go while i am moving, so i figured if i needed the gps i would just stop, grab the phone, and check where i am and which way to go. most in dash GPS units used while driving are more of plotters that have the trails/roads pre marked while racing when there is no time to stop and figure out which way to go. just things to think about before you invest in a mount and advertize to would be thieves you have electronics in your jeep.

Not worried about thieves as this is driven mostly to the trails and back. The tablet would obviously be removed when not being used.

If you want a sturdy mount check out Ram mounts. They have a Ram phone mount that is spring loaded and I used it in my Toyota 4x4 and will be mounting it to my XJ soon. I also use it on my fishing kayak as its a bomber mount.

I bolted mine to the dash but they have a suction cup mount as well so you can stick on the windshield.

This fits my I phone and Ram has mounts for tablets and computers as well.

www.rammount.com

Kevin

If you want a sturdy mount check out Ram mounts. They have a Ram phone mount that is spring loaded and I used it in my Toyota 4x4 and will be mounting it to my XJ soon. I also use it on my fishing kayak as its a bomber mount.

I bolted mine to the dash but they have a suction cup mount as well so you can stick on the windshield.

This fits my I phone and Ram has mounts for tablets and computers as well.

www.rammount.com

Kevin

Thanks! Ill look into these guys.

I use the Casio Commando (military and swat spec phone), water/mud/frost/dust/scum/blood resistant. I'm surprised that more outdoor oriented people don't use this phone.

Check out padholdr.com I have the ipad mount for my xj and it does awesome until you get into extreme rock climbing I does great till you get to the point where you rocking all around like crazy that and they have awesome customer service

Running the Brodit ProClip and Ram Mount products since years in every vehicle and was selling these products and still am. Absolutely great stuff!

And if you dig long enough through the RAM Mount website you find:

RAM-VB-118 - No-Drill™ Laptop Base for the Jeep SE, Classic, Sport & LTD

to that, you add RAM-VP-TTM8U and RAM-VB-110-1U and have an extremly sturdy and flexible system for mounting whatever...

You now need to add a device specific holder, so I put my iPad2 into an Otter cover and bought a "Tabtite Cradle" RAM-HOL-TAB8U that fits the "ottered" iPad perfectly and safe. Now add a BT GPS receiver and a charging cable et voila: The perfect offroad navigation solution!

Back