• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stumped on what to do(axle swap q's)

Custom lockers? And special mounts? Didnt know leaf spring perches were custom. A regular dana 44 locker works you just need a 3.73 and up locker. If that sounds tough you shouldnt be workin on ur own jeep

Custom lockers? And special mounts? Didnt know leaf spring perches were custom. A regular dana 44 locker works you just need a 3.73 and up locker. If that sounds tough you shouldnt be workin on ur own jeep

That was supposed to say custom shafts. It was morning here. ;)

And for your general forum user asking about his first axle swap, anything you have to weld would typically be considered custom; be it perches, shock mounts, etc.

When did moser start making chromo rear shafts?

They told me not three months ago they only do 1541 in the rear.

And, you're making my point. He could find someone who welds, have them weld spring pads on, buy wheel spacers, and get moser 1541 shafts made ..

or he can bolt in an xj dana 44, run off the shelf $250 chromo axles and be done with it.

But he stated that he wants to do a disk brake swap. Got to add that on top of price. cheaper doing the rodeo since its already geared.

But he stated that he wants to do a disk brake swap. Got to add that on top of price. cheaper doing the rodeo since its already geared.

Except that he plans on going 33's or 35's, and you don't do that on 4.10 gears. So he either has to regear one axle NOW to get a 4.10 front end or buy another front end that is already 4.10, and then regear both later - or regear both now.

With an xj44, he'll have two 3.55 axles to run on until he gears 4.56 or 4.88, appropriate to the tire size in his plans.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything. It seems anything thats different is looked down upon.

Its not that at all, its that experiance dictates the isuzi 44 will not be the easiest, cheapest, nor most convienent swap.

Thats why its different.

convienent I can see for someone who cant weld. Still going to have to swap gears either way (some rodeo had 4.56 stock). Other than that I have to politely disagree and I am running this axle myself not a friend of mine or hear say from someone else.

I will admit the isuzu 44 is about the only axle I haven't run. I've run d35', 8.25, 44, 9", several 60's, 12 bolt, 8.8, toyota 8".

That doesnt mean I havent looked into it though. ;) There's an MJ in my driveway with a 6 lug waggy front, and we looked at all of the axle possibilites in depth before deciding to convernt the waggy 44 to 5 lug and get a real rear end. :)

i would have everything welded/re-geared by a shop but i would do the wrench work myself. i'm not a newb but i'm also not an "expert" either. i plan on getting a welder and learning how to all the fun fab stuff.

i work on wheelchair and custom fab alot of parts but its all bolt on/together stuff. so i know how to fab just dont have the welding skill.

i would love to say i did all the work myself but i dont think JB weld is gonna hold and axle in place for long.

the izuzu axle is very tempting, i can find a wrecked/c4c one with a 44 easier then a xj 44. the only bonus to the xj axle is its bolt in.

i figured a izuzu 44 wouldn't take the same stuff(lockers, gears) as a jeep 44. i know the shafts would be different but if the lockers and ring gear are all the same across the board thats not a big deal then. i could call up moser and have some shafts made.

i just wanna get rid of drum brakes and c-clips and upgrade at the same time. i dont want to worry about the shaft falling out if i snap it. i do tend to get alittle throttle happy now and then.

if i had the cash i'd call dyna track or currie and get some 60's built but thats not happening any time soon.

my budget is a newly wed 25 year olds, nothing!

i bust my butt at work for OT and usally have some spending cash left over after bills. i would slowly amass the parts needed then do everything at once.

thanks for all the help so far guys, i'm slowly learning my stuff.

Last edited:
been in your same shoes. I sucked it up and spent $300 on a Dana 44.

But, on the other hand, i had a dana 35.. so i HAD to do a new axle

if i had a 29spline 8.25 i dont think i would ever of considered swapping. just spend the money on gears and a locker!

The only difference with the rodeo is a thicker gear because of the carrier break. Gears are like 20 bucks more. For lockers u have to use a 3.73 and down locker no big deal. Yeah the cherokee 44 bolts in but disks are nice. I have a waggy front so i kept the 6 lug pattern and spaced the rear to match. My friend has been runnin the rodeo with 33 and stock shafts and never had a problem and i havent either.

C-clips only matter if you break a shaft. And hell, with your disk brakes you want to do, that'll probably hold the broken shaft in for a little bit. I wouldn't want to drive home on it, but I wouldn't want to drive home on any broken semifloat shaft.

My driver broke a Ford 9 shaft in competition. No C-clip so we can just pull the broken pieces out, right?

We ended up having to pull the other shaft, pull the third member, disassemble the diff, and pound the broken stub out of the locker side gear.

Now that they have 4.88s and alloys, I'd run the 8.25.

The 8.25 can handle everything you listed. Skip the e-wheeler drama and run it. :yelclap:

The 8.25 can handle everything you listed. Skip the e-wheeler drama and run it. :yelclap:

X2 ive been running mine locked on 35's for years. No problems.

i would love to wheel her harder then i'm now, only thing holding me back is tire size and axle strength

like i said in the first post i run blue blacks at rausch and crozet, i would love to run black reds all the more then easy blue stuff

Back