• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker: What am I missing?

2000xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I am building up a stroker for my 2000 XJ w/ AW4.

I will be using:
93 block out of a YJ
93 #7120 Casting Number Head
1978 258 12 CW crank out of a CJ7
93 4.0L Rods
.020 over KB 944 pistons w/ moly rings from cnc performance
Comp Cams CL68-232-4 + lifter kit
Cloyes double roller timing gear/chain set
99 +intake
Stock TB
Stock coil rail/ignition system
Stock Computer

The machine shop is waiting for the crank (needed to be reground) to check the deck of the block. I have read conflicting statements on if the KB944 pistons need the block decked and also deffering ammounts. Any final word on this?

Will I have any problems with the stock ignition system (no distributor, etc)? Is there any tthing I can do to help this outwith out spending a ton of money?

Will I have problems with my XJ motor mounts and oil filter?

What accesories should I use? What year did the water pump rotation switch? I would prefer to use my 2000 XJ water pump as it is fairly new. What about alternator, Power steering pump and brackets. The 2000 motor had a (dead) AC pump on it that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

I would also like to pick up a header to use. Is anything off of eBay worth using? I would prefer to keep the header under $200. I also realize that I will need to get a new down pipe and possibly new exhaust bent up.

Are there any other huge issues that I will run into in terms if sensors or things matching up?

I am mainly worried about the ignition/coil rail set up working properly. Thanks for any help I can get.

I'm more focused on a 4.6 build but maybe I can help.

I am building up a stroker for my 2000 XJ w/ AW4.

I will be using:
93 block out of a YJ
93 #7120 Casting Number Head
1978 258 12 CW crank out of a CJ7
93 4.0L Rods
.020 over KB 944 pistons w/ moly rings from cnc performance
Comp Cams CL68-232-4 + lifter kit
valvesprings, Retainers? Plechtan from jeepstrokers posted a very detailed list in his post here http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=893
Cloyes double roller timing gear/chain set
99 +intake
Stock TB
Stock coil rail/ignition system
Stock Computer

The machine shop is waiting for the crank (needed to be reground) to check the deck of the block. I have read conflicting statements on if the KB944 pistons need the block decked and also deffering ammounts. Any final word on this?

The Decking for the pistons would be about the compression ratio that's something you need to calculate for your build. I believe .00 Deck is most efficient but you would have to dish accordingly. Jeepstrokers.com has a calculator on the top of the forum. I'm pretty sure you need .60 over pistons not .20. you are going for the 4.7 right?

Will I have any problems with the stock ignition system (no distributor, etc)? Is there any thing I can do to help this outwith out spending a ton of money?

I haven't heard of any. It's the same block so you shouldn't
What accesories should I use? What year did the water pump rotation switch? I would prefer to use my 2000 XJ water pump as it is fairly new. What about alternator, Power steering pump and brackets.
I believe all 4.0's have the same rotation. none the less run the accessories off of your 2000 and the same belt route and the rotation wont matter.
The 2000 motor had a (dead) AC pump on it that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.
There are AC delete pulleys somewhere or you can just buy a belt for a 4.0 w/o AC

I would also like to pick up a header to use. Is anything off of eBay worth using? I would prefer to keep the header under $200. I also realize that I will need to get a new down pipe and possibly new exhaust bent up.
The APN header is usually found on ebay and it's been recommended in the past. Or you can find it here I think http://www.ineedparts.com. To run the headers on your 99+ intake you will need to shave your intake a little it's covered here. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84418
Are there any other huge issues that I will run into in terms if sensors or things matching up?
Use what goes with your computer

I am mainly worried about the ignition/coil rail set up working properly. Thanks for any help I can get.

I saw your post about the Alternator we actually just got a new FAQ on that thanks to Ehall
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244685498#post244685498

Last edited:
Also with the stock TB and injectors you're going to be choking the poor girl.

You are not the first person to stroke an OBD II XJ I recommend going through the projects on jeepstrokers and learn from those before you.

Last edited:
I will probably use the mopar performance springs and retainers.

I am only going .020 over. I think that the small performance gains from going .030, .040 or even .060 over is not worth the risk of having the thinner wall.

Thanks for the heads up on the calculator. It is just what I was looking for.

I think I found a steal of a deal on an awesome header so that is taken care of.

I know I will have to use larger injectors. Will 24 lb/hr injectors from a 5.0L mustang be too much?
Will the stock TB be a huge bottle neck?

Any comments on how well the coil rail will work?

I am only going .020 over. I think that the small performance gains from going .030, .040 or even .060 over is not worth the risk of having the thinner wall.
Wow you're spending alot of money on those pistons for not much performance. If you're worried have your machine shop sonic test the cyl walls.

I'm going the 4.2 crank/rods route it's about 500$ cheaper .

Thanks for the heads up on the calculator. It is just what I was looking for.
Glad I could help :thumbup:
I think I found a steal of a deal on an awesome header so that is taken care of.

I know I will have to use larger injectors. Will 24 lb/hr injectors from a 5.0L mustang be too much?
nope You might need a FPR or an Adjustable MAP though
Yeah, You can bore it out to 59mm yourself without changing the butterfly.
Or www.strokedjeep.com has a good deal on 63mm tb's

Dig through the projects on jeepstrokers I'm sure there's a way. I personally haven't messed with an OBDII sorry.

Last edited:
I went .060 over, if I could have easily gotten .080 overbore pistons I would have gone bigger. The cylinder walls are plenty thick enough with room to spare. If I ever see a problem with this engine I highly doubt it will be because of thinner cylinder walls.

Nope. Same filter, but the oil filter adapter on the 93 YJ block is different than the one on your 2000.

What accesories should I use? What year did the water pump rotation switch? I would prefer to use my 2000 XJ water pump as it is fairly new. What about alternator, Power steering pump and brackets. The 2000 motor had a (dead) AC pump on it that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

Water pump has always been the same rotation, as well as all the accessories. As far as the AC, the belt is the same, you just have to get an AC delete pulley.

There is some info on JeepStrokers.com about using other springs
I would go .030 or .040 over. You won't be close to the danger area until you hit over .060 over. Also, with the smaller over bores you can re bore your block again is necessary.
I use the Bosch XR3E Mustang Cobra injector. It flows about 25.7 (or 27.5 can't remember anymore). It will run a bit rich in WOT after about 3000 RPM though. I used an Apexi to fix that.
I would open it up. www.strokedjeep.com is inexpensive and does good work.
Will work fine. Look for a recent post from DPG offroad/dirk as there is some info plus some pictures of how mine is. Edit: Here is that post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1021874

Back