• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker: Titan Engine: My Story

Re: Stoker: Titan Engine: My Story

mhead said:
Hi Marcus,

?? I guess I'm not understanding the problem I'll face with the cam. I figured that there would be some interference of the distributer shaft with the cam gear and that the 'ears' are the point where the distributer engages the oil pump. But I see I was wrong. So here's my second guess:

'Ears' refer to the points where the retaining bolt goes thru the distributer housing. This bolt arrangement does not allow much rotation of the distributer.

The problem you expect is that the rotation of the distributer gearing on the non-factory cam, relative to the cam lobes (the phase of the gears if you will) is not the same as the stock cam and therefore the distributer must be rotated to compensate. But the rotation is limited by the retaining bolt and so I must cut the distributer until I can gain adequate rotation.

Am I correct?

Thanks!
Mike

You have it exactly right now.

i have a yj and i havn't been on this site in months. I was originally reccomended to visit hear b/c i needed help with my titan 4.6. I have a 93 set up and I honestly don't know which cam i have but the cutting the ears off the distrib did not work for me so i'd guess i have a stock cam. Anyhow I hate my titan, wish i never did it the amount of money and time i've spent trying to get this motor to run as advertised AHHHH! I have found that titan is completely disorganized and speaking to chuck has caused more problems that its solved. My engine also loves to ping right around 2,250 rpm which is somewhere in the 70mph range (right where u always cruise on the highway) and I've found even with dialing in the map sensor to fight pinging if i travel for more than an hour it will start and stay pinging in the 2,000 to 2,500 rpm range. After 7 months of fiddling i got it close to perfect FINALLY, then 4 months later it blew a head gasket(15,000 miles and I've never had a temp problem). I sent the engine back and they "fixed" it and sent it back. All I can say good about them in my personal experience is they stand behind the warranty, other than that its negative. I chose buying an engine instead of building so i didn't have to spend extra money or time perfecting it :bawl: I wish you luck. By the way they paid shipping and repaired at no cost to me. Downside its still not right, upside its still covered for the next problem.

tl1r said:
i have a yj and i havn't been on this site in months. I was originally reccomended to visit hear b/c i needed help with my titan 4.6. I have a 93 set up and I honestly don't know which cam i have but the cutting the ears off the distrib did not work for me so i'd guess i have a stock cam. Anyhow I hate my titan, wish i never did it the amount of money and time i've spent trying to get this motor to run as advertised AHHHH! I have found that titan is completely disorganized and speaking to chuck has caused more problems that its solved. My engine also loves to ping right around 2,250 rpm which is somewhere in the 70mph range (right where u always cruise on the highway) and I've found even with dialing in the map sensor to fight pinging if i travel for more than an hour it will start and stay pinging in the 2,000 to 2,500 rpm range. After 7 months of fiddling i got it close to perfect FINALLY, then 4 months later it blew a head gasket(15,000 miles and I've never had a temp problem). I sent the engine back and they "fixed" it and sent it back. All I can say good about them in my personal experience is they stand behind the warranty, other than that its negative. I chose buying an engine instead of building so i didn't have to spend extra money or time perfecting it :bawl: I wish you luck. By the way they paid shipping and repaired at no cost to me. Downside its still not right, upside its still covered for the next problem.

I haven't quite reached your state of affairs with Titan just yet. At least they seem willing to try to fix things. But I've paid them an extra $300 for a new head. The jury is still out on how their engine building is in my case but their customer service is a joke. Here's the clearest picture of my experience I have just now...

Nov 2007 purchased a 4.6 stating my vehicle is a 1992 XJ and requested a factory cam since I've seen posts on this site complaining about wear out of hotter cams. Titan shipped this engine within a week. So far so good.

Installed engine and 24# injectors as Titan instructed. But engine runs hot and pings badly at about 2400 RPM. Drove about 2500 miles with a couple of overheat events but no loss of coolant.

1st week Jan compression test shows 4 cyls at 200 psi, two near 100. Intake valve noise with air pressure in the cyl. Removed head. Intake valves bent. Head cracked. Contacted Titan and offered to pay for new head. They give me a deal: $300.

Now I need the car to run so I can have fun more than I need the money. Maybe it's their fault, maybe it's mine, I don't care I just want the jeep on the road. They take about a week and a half to get the head build. They ship. But it doesn't show. So I call and it comes up that they are having trouble getting '99 heads because most crack. 99? Mine is a 92! Oh....
Every communication I've had with them has specified '92. And looking at my dead !cracked! head, yes, it's a 99 because it has the lands for the independent coils. Ok so they have a '92 in stock and they ship it. But it doesn't show. So I call and both heads have gone to some other customer somewhere. So they ship another '92. Now it takes more than a week to go Florida to CA. And the head shows. No rocker arms but that's ok so I go to salvage the rockers from the '99 head but they are different and won't fit. So I call and they agree to send rockers. And now I'm waiting for these. Did I mention that the head that actually arrived came UPS double boxed? They tried, but two box layers doesnt' cushion a head very well when UPS drops it on it's corner. So two corners have the nice surfaced surface mushed in, which I file away. Fortunately no sealing surface damage.

So it's been more than a month of trying to ship a head that they had in stock all along, no mfgr time required.

But they are trying at least.

So why did my engine burn up? It isn't clear yet but here's my guess...

They had no experience with the stock cam. Dynamic compression on stock cam is actually higher than 'hot' cam thus the 200 psi compression test. Engine compression too high. Pinging results in heat and then in pre-ignition and then more heat and valve bends.

I paid Titan another $200 for a 'hotter' cam plus shipping and have installed this. Once the rockers show up I'll go on a ping hunt. I purchased a Hesco adjustable pressure regulator $150. Go-Jeep managed to get his working. I'm going to try what he tried.

Later I'll know more. I intend to post my experience of course. Right now I know from discussion and measurements what the Titan design parameters are for my 4.6 Titan has a quench height of about 0.100" with about 9.5:1 static compression. Maybe some of the stroker builders on this site will chime in here, but it seems to me that the excessive quench height (stock is 0.074") causes the ping. I don't know.

Had I to do it all again, and knowing what I do now, I'd just build locally. Now I know machine shops and engine design parameters and could do it. I bought from Titan because I didn't want to learn these things but it hasn't worked out that way.

So maybe, maybe, maybe I'll have a running XJ next week. It's all together now just waiting the rockers. 1/2 hour to toss them on and I can start the motor.

Mike

I feel your pain and hopefully you won't get to the point I've reached. The botttom line is I was told 24lbs injectors and 87 octane, possibly 89 and it'll run perfectly. I run 93 and only certain 93 ive gone through alot of the steps reccomended here which i'm very greatful for this, the site is great but the amount of $ and extreme amount of time i could have had a hesco or gm gen3 v8 swap. I did some research b4 buying the stroker and there claims were why i bought there engine. 9 out of 10 claims they made turned out 2 be lies in my personal case. There service with shipping on my behalf is like yours after multiple complaints to them that trying all of there reccomendations to fix my issues and told them of many of the reccomendations i've tried here they claimed i must have bought the wrong injectors. So i told them to send me theres and if it didn't fix it i send them back if it worked id pay for them. It took chuck multiple weeks to send them (can't remember how many) so they finally send them and he sent 5 used injectors. Many unreturned phone calls and weeks later i talked to the owner and he sent me a brand new one. I'll admit theres were better than mine but that only decreased pinging by like 5% max. Honestly past buying the engine where delivery was very quick the warranty claim was all that went well. Chuck tried talking me into doing my head gasket which im completely capable of but i wasn't giving them a future excuse to not stand behind the motor. I live in PA and i've highly considering taking my jeep down to FL and telling them to make it right or give me a refund but with some of the awful info and things chuck has reccomended i dont think i want them touching my jeep.hasta

mhead said:
has a quench height of about 0.100" with about 9.5:1 static compression.
Mike

The optimal quench should be .040" w/ about 9.1:1 CR for a truck motor. From all I've seen there are many strokers that do not have the required machine work to make these #'s happen and instead attempt to throw more fuel at the motor to make the pinging go away.

tl1r said:
I feel your pain and hopefully you won't get to the point I've reached. The botttom line is I was told 24lbs injectors and 87 octane, possibly 89 and it'll run perfectly. I run 93 and only certain 93 ive gone through alot of the steps reccomended here which i'm very greatful for this, the site is great but the amount of $ and extreme amount of time i could have had a hesco or gm gen3 v8 swap. I did some research b4 buying the stroker and there claims were why i bought there engine. 9 out of 10 claims they made turned out 2 be lies in my personal case. There service with shipping on my behalf is like yours after multiple complaints to them that trying all of there reccomendations to fix my issues and told them of many of the reccomendations i've tried here they claimed i must have bought the wrong injectors. So i told them to send me theres and if it didn't fix it i send them back if it worked id pay for them. It took chuck multiple weeks to send them (can't remember how many) so they finally send them and he sent 5 used injectors. Many unreturned phone calls and weeks later i talked to the owner and he sent me a brand new one. I'll admit theres were better than mine but that only decreased pinging by like 5% max. Honestly past buying the engine where delivery was very quick the warranty claim was all that went well. Chuck tried talking me into doing my head gasket which im completely capable of but i wasn't giving them a future excuse to not stand behind the motor. I live in PA and i've highly considering taking my jeep down to FL and telling them to make it right or give me a refund but with some of the awful info and things chuck has reccomended i dont think i want them touching my jeep.hasta

Further back in this post is information from Go-Jeep. This person is Marcus Ohms and he knows a great deal about XJ. See his www site if you haven't already. He mentions colder plugs and MAP fuel adjustments to make his ping go away. Have you tried these? This will be my approach once (if ever) Chuck sends the rocker arms.

Slo-Sho: Thanks for quench height. I haven't seen an 0.040 number but have seen 0.074" for the stock XJ and other build numbers that are somewhat more, like 0.080.

I don't know a lot about engine design, but I'm guessing the Titan height of 0.100 is the root of pinging.

Is there anyone out there who has a Titan 4.6 that doesn't ping (excepting Go-Jeep who managed to get the ping gone)? Or one that did ping and was corrected some way?

Once I get the rockers I think I'll give up on Titan. If I can't get the ping out then the motor will come out and go to a local shop for re-engineering. I think I'll swap the pistons out for those with a larger dish, and deck the block down to give more like factory quench. I thnnk I can use Titan's head, crank, and rods.

Is there a NAXJA thread where various stroke designs are compared? A collection of what has been tried and what the results were?

I would look at adjusting the IAT to make it read hotter as this will pull timing even in closed loop. It may make it run lean in open loop, but adjusting MAP should be able to fix that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that how I understand most speed-density systems work.

srimes said:
I would look at adjusting the IAT to make it read hotter as this will pull timing even in closed loop. It may make it run lean in open loop, but adjusting MAP should be able to fix that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that how I understand most speed-density systems work.

Guess IAT = Intake manifold air temperature. I didn't want to get into timing. Is this mod written up somewhere?

You know I've been thinking about Slo-Sho's comment about more fuel to make ping go away. My ping happed at modest throttle settings, in the 2400 RPM range. My understanding of Jeep MPI is that at less than 70% throttle the computer adjusts fuel to cylinders based on measurements from the oxygen sensors. I believe my ping occurs at less than 70% throttle and so the computer controls fuel and there's little I can do about ping. Make sense?

Mike

mhead said:
Guess IAT = Intake manifold air temperature. I didn't want to get into timing. Is this mod written up somewhere?

You know I've been thinking about Slo-Sho's comment about more fuel to make ping go away. My ping happed at modest throttle settings, in the 2400 RPM range. My understanding of Jeep MPI is that at less than 70% throttle the computer adjusts fuel to cylinders based on measurements from the oxygen sensors. I believe my ping occurs at less than 70% throttle and so the computer controls fuel and there's little I can do about ping in terms of fuel supply. Make sense?

Mike

mhead said:

You know I've been thinking about Slo-Sho's comment about more fuel to make ping go away. My ping happed at modest throttle settings, in the 2400 RPM range. My understanding of Jeep MPI is that at less than 70% throttle the computer adjusts fuel to cylinders based on measurements from the oxygen sensors. I believe my ping occurs at less than 70% throttle and so the computer controls fuel and there's little I can do about ping. Make sense?

Mike

Ping is caused by a combination of ignition timing and fuel ratio (+ other things we're not considering messing with right now). So if the computer is keeping the fuel at 14.7 under the light loads where you're pinging you need to retard ignition timing.

Dumping fuel in this case is a crude bandaid. Water injection would be more elegant.

Check out:
http://www.autospeed.com/A_109133/cms/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_109134/article.html

from #2:
"As mentioned last week, another temp sensor that can be usefully modified is the intake air temperature sensor. The output of this sensor is frequently used by the ECU to determine the final ignition timing, and where the sensor is located after the turbo or supercharger is an especially good way of pulling back timing in forced aspiration cars. (Here's how I came to realise that: I had a high-boost turbo Daihatsu Mira which was still using the standard top-mount intercooler. Suddenly one day it started to detonate - something it hadn't done previously. I looked under the bonnet to find the intake air temp sensor plug dangling - without this input, the ECU was selecting a limp-home ignition timing setting, one which wasn't pulling enough timing off to cope with the high intake air temps actually being experienced. Fixed the plug and all was again well - the output of that sensor sure made a big difference to ignition timing!)"

mhead said:

Mike
You are correct. Only things that will help in your case are colder spark plugs, less timing advance, and cooler air. Plugs and cooler air would be the cheaper way to try first. Or you can deck the block for better quench and use deeper dish pistons to lower compression to low 9s.
Bottom line is that it's a combination of things most likely.

I support the ideas mentioned like the water or methanol injection. Used to run this myself for many years when I had dual fuel on my V8 CJ7. To get good power on LPG you need more timing but that caused it to ping when switching back to petrol. Water injection allowed me to run on petrol as well with the higher timing.
Also a little know fact is opening up your plug gap retards the timing a fraction and that and or colder plugs will help too. Using something like a RC10LYC plug. Open them from 0.035 to 0.045 inch, That is from 0.9 mm to 1.143 mm
Have also cured a non stoker XJ of pinging by fitting a snorkel as well.

Gojeep said:
I support the ideas mentioned like the water or methanol injection. Used to run this myself for many years when I had dual fuel on my V8 CJ7. To get good power on LPG you need more timing but that caused it to ping when switching back to petrol. Water injection allowed me to run on petrol as well with the higher timing.
Also a little know fact is opening up your plug gap retards the timing a fraction and that and or colder plugs will help too. Using something like a RC10LYC plug. Open them from 0.035 to 0.045 inch, That is from 0.9 mm to 1.143 mm
Have also cured a non stoker XJ of pinging by fitting a snorkel as well.

I gotta tell ya that water injection is just out of my league. I just want my Jeep to run and wanted a little more power that the larger displacement would give. I'm reluctant even to go after timing. It will be a difficult choice to between timing or just pulling the whole thing out for a re-design, or maybe a swap with a garden variety junkyard engine to go back to square 1.

But the plug-gap is a really good suggestion. I noticed that you mentioined this in a previous post.

The mods I've made to the Titan since it bent the valve and cracked the head:

Titan engine burned valve cracked head ($2400)

Head replaced ($300)
Factory cam replaced with 'hotter' Clevite version ($200)
New hydraulic lifters ($75))
0.050" gasket replaces 0.044"
Hesco adjustable fuel pressure regulator ($150)
Auto meter wide band air/fuel sensor ($350)
Colder plugs
Wide gap

This engine should be more like yours. Yours worked, maybe mine will also.

If not I'll pull it, swap the pistons for a larger dish, deck the block down to get closer to the factory quench height at the lower 9's for static compression. -Or maybe just get a junkyard engine and toss it in.

I really need this Jeep to run so I can use it. I'm sick of being down during the best desert time here in CA.

I'm regretting...!

Last edited:

I had alot of help from Dr Dyno and some others with all my ping problems. I have the colder plugs, larger gap, adjustable map, colder t-stat, IAT signal modifier, cold air intake, and i can't even remember some of the stuff I've tried at this point. All of these items are not still installed but I've tried multiple combos of all the above and more. Multiple pcm's, sensor swaps, cutting the ears off distrib, different injectors. I bet I've tried everything except the fuel regulator from hesco. I was just fed up by that point. My first engine by the way definitely had compression over 200 in each cylinder b4 the gasket blew i just dont remember the exacts. I think I'm going to run this piece of cr@p till the warranty is out then get a bunch of info here and have mine locally re-engineered as well. makes me feel like i get a little something back for the agrivation ive had 2 deal with.

tl1r said:
I had alot of help from Dr Dyno and some others with all my ping problems. I have the colder plugs, larger gap, adjustable map, colder t-stat, IAT signal modifier, cold air intake, and i can't even remember some of the stuff I've tried at this point. All of these items are not still installed but I've tried multiple combos of all the above and more. Multiple pcm's, sensor swaps, cutting the ears off distrib, different injectors. I bet I've tried everything except the fuel regulator from hesco. I was just fed up by that point. My first engine by the way definitely had compression over 200 in each cylinder b4 the gasket blew i just dont remember the exacts. I think I'm going to run this piece of cr@p till the warranty is out then get a bunch of info here and have mine locally re-engineered as well. makes me feel like i get a little something back for the agrivation ive had 2 deal with.

Wow...! Thanks because I definitely don't have time/patience to go thru all of the above. I can take the direct short-cut to re-engineer.

Your mention of 200 psi cranking compression pressure rings a bell. Go-Jeep measured his motor at 175 psi and Chuck at Titan says that 175 is what he expects. I requested a stock cam which Titan installed. But I believe -someone correct me if I'm wrong - that a stock cam closes the intake valve sooner thus trapping more air in the cylinder and leading to higher compression pressure measurements and higher dynamic compression than the 'hot' cam. This is why I replaced the original cam Titan installed with a 'hotter' one. I'm expecting to see 175 psi. And if Titan will ever send the rocker arms I'll have a measurement for you. I expected them last Friday and it's Tuesday and no arrival. But soon I'll have a measurement.

I happened to visit a performance motor shop down here when the head blew and mentioned 200 psi. Their response was that I would need race gas at that pressure.

Oh well, really glad to hear of your trials, but not glad of course that you've gone thru them. It will save me following a non-productive path. If my Titan still pings after cold plugs and fuel pressure adjustment, then it's off to build a lower compression, properly quenched, stroked motor. Basically this means swapping the pistons for a larger dish and decking the block. Bet I can do this in a week or two.

Mike

well i feel with titan no 2 motors are alike, so with all the trials I've been through my setup is about 5.9 volts with my adjustable map, a 180 degree t-stat (this should back up a "go Jeep" statement from his site if you have a colder t stat in, the pcm will take readings from the map sensor in less than 70% throttle positions. I could be wrong with that but it made the best difference of anything) colder plugs w .045 gap, homemade cold air intake w K&N, 24lbs injectors, and that budget friendly 93 octane. my new motor has only about 1500 miles on it my YJ is my perfered DD but I just went through a lengthy T-case & rear axle upgrade but i just got it back on the road sunday. I'm probably going to give it a compression test just 2 see where this motor stands. My gut feeling is my old motor was either 235 or 245 lbs per cylinder which ever it was i reported it 2 chuck who said it was right were it should be :dunce: . It was definitley over 200 i wish i could remember for sure. Anyhow goodluck and the owner of titans name is frank he even occaisonaly anwsers the phone but u can ask for him if your tired of chuck.

tl1r said:
well i feel with titan no 2 motors are alike, so with all the trials I've been through my setup is about 5.9 volts with my adjustable map, a 180 degree t-stat (this should back up a "go Jeep" statement from his site if you have a colder t stat in, the pcm will take readings from the map sensor in less than 70% throttle positions. I could be wrong with that but it made the best difference of anything) colder plugs w .045 gap, homemade cold air intake w K&N, 24lbs injectors, and that budget friendly 93 octane. my new motor has only about 1500 miles on it my YJ is my perfered DD but I just went through a lengthy T-case & rear axle upgrade but i just got it back on the road sunday. I'm probably going to give it a compression test just 2 see where this motor stands. My gut feeling is my old motor was either 235 or 245 lbs per cylinder which ever it was i reported it 2 chuck who said it was right were it should be :dunce: . It was definitley over 200 i wish i could remember for sure. Anyhow goodluck and the owner of titans name is frank he even occaisonaly anwsers the phone but u can ask for him if your tired of chuck.

235 to 245! Wow. I don't know a lot about motors but I'm used to 150 - 175 as compression pressures. Something doesn't seem right here. Yeah it pinged! And I can see why the head gasket didn't hold. Next time you open it up take some careful measurements to determine static compression. Maybe Titan shaved your block a lot and then put in pistons with little dish. Your pressures seem really high to me. Even 200 seems high.

Stay tuned. Couple days and I'll have some pressures to compare.

Mike

yeah me 2 on the 165 average but i had never did a compression test on a brand new motor (y should you ever have 2). So i felt it was high but this was when i was still under the assumption that the people :lecture: who build engines for a living knew what they were talking about. :doh: I just looked through my paper work i was just under 200 WOW i feel like an idiot!

Last edited:

Well, even 200 is high. The point is that you shouldn't have to do a compression test if the motor was correctly designed...

But here's a thought I just had. I wonder what replacement head Titan sent me? Specifically, did they send an HO head or the older type? I don't know how to tell and the manifolds are on now so I can't look at the ports. But the head has marks...

I see "NH3" and "99" (or "66" if I'm looking at it wrong). Both these are under the rocker cover. Then along the edge outside the cover and on the maniforld side there is "0630". There's another number nearby but it isn't very well cast.

Any of these ring any bells as to which head it is?

Back