• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stomper

that would require effort on my part... not likely.

:roflmao: man, I'm trying to move into my money pit in the next few weeks... stomper is yard art for a while, unless I somehow find time to throw the plow on it before March starts acting like March...

and no, I'm not trading my grand for your 80's guido mobile :D ;)

there are days that your 2 door would interest me a lot... DD'g it from the forest however doesn't seem a good plan.

So, today was to be a momentous day -- the State is requiring me to drive the Stomper to (1) a dealership to get a VIN inspection since it has a NE title, and (2) a gravel yard so as to get a weight for it (WTF??) before they will let me re-title it and get it plated/registered. Of course to do that I had to get it at least semi-road worthy, as well as go buy paper plates -- the paper plates they will only issue for 10 days, and unbeknowst to me (cause the stupid bureaucrats don't bother to tell you) is that you cannot get ANY renewals of temp paper plates. I bought my first set 11 days ago, and then the wiring nightmare began and it expired yesterday before I could get in for my various inspections... SO, I spent a 1/2 hour yesterday arguing with some paper-pushing POS and convinced them to give me another 7 days on paper plates (I now expire Friday, Oct 5. With mostly working lights (still no rt turn), and a paper plate in the window, I set off this morning to get my inspections, and maybe even pick up some landscape timbers in the process for some wall work since I had to go to Pioneer anyway...

I got roughly a block and a 1/2 from my house -- yes, it was on a public roadway, briefly -- before the steering started feeling a bit, well, sketch. So I carefully backed it into a side street, and prepared to turn back onto Rollercoaster to head home and figure it out. As I went to make my turn back into my driveway, however, the wheel turned more smoothly than usual... and unfortunately the front wheels did not turn at all -- slippage in the sector shaft. After 15 minutes in the middle of Rollercoaster road (with a good samaritan kindly directing traffic for me), I managed to get the shaft tightened enough to pull forward onto the shoulder (mostly), such as it is. That allowed me to get a better look at it, and find that the column shaft splines are completely shot, essentially grooved and smoothed -- the locking nut/allen has created a 1/8" groove in the shaft, and there is just no way it will hold -- I managed to find a little bit of meat to lock to and get it backed up the driveway, but it looks like I've got a couple days here to source a replacement shaft and get it repaired... fun. Oh, and I managed to run over my Oakleys in the process, so I am now again shadeless. :cry:

As to the plow, I have managed to adapt the "bumper" portion (apparently 83 F250s and 79 F250s have some significant front frame differences), and have a plan together to get the main plow attachment point fabbed up, but I have to get to the metal supplier first -- pics may eventually follow, if I get around to it

/rant :D

Remind me again why you like Fords???? :D

Sorry to hear you're having such issues Chris. I'm right there with ya about the DMV bureaucracy....... A whole lot of stupidity coming outta that division of our State govt.

DAYUM! Post a picture of the offending part. I have an old voucher for U-PAP burning a hole in my pocket.

Remind me again why you like Fords???? :D

Sorry to hear you're having such issues Chris. I'm right there with ya about the DMV bureaucracy....... A whole lot of stupidity coming outta that division of our State govt.

LOL, only THAT division of state government, huh? :gag:

Thanks, Hypoid -- once I have a better idea of what part I need, I'll update.

not mine - but that is about what mine looks like, where the column shaft exits the firewall...

shaft1.jpg

Last edited:
tempting, but now that I have the column out, its fairly clear that the bearings are fubar as well... about to go searching for a new column as a unit...

So the steering is fixed -- I overpaid for a complete column from the dudes out by RAM offroad park, but it was pulled for me, I didn't miss any work time, and I bolted the bad boy right in this evening.

That would be the good news. The bad news is that on the test drive with now-fully-functional hydro-ram-assist steering, the engine runs like a total turd under load.... bad enough that I'm not comfortable driving the beast anywhere, even on the back roads, to get my required inspections/weight.

I'm at my friggin wits end, and I lack the skills to properly tune this carb'd biatch -- if anyone feels like coming by to give it a look, the beer is on me. I'm fairly pissed that it looks like I'll need to tow it to the fooking dealer for a VIN inspection, and tow it to the friggin yard for a weigh-in since it seems virtually impossible I'll get this fixed before my paper tags expire Friday... all for a fooking plow vehicle for crispies sake. :gonnablow

So why bother even plating it? You don't need plates for it to operate on your property. If anything just put an OHV sticker on it.

Short term, for plowing, that is likely what will happen -- that said, since I picked up a handy flatbed from a certain someone, it sure would be nice to cruise the whopping 4 miles to the Depot for drywall, etc...

I'm at my friggin wits end, and I lack the skills to properly tune this carb'd biatch -- if anyone feels like coming by to give it a look, the beer is on me. I'm fairly pissed that it looks like I'll need to tow it to the fooking dealer for a VIN inspection, and tow it to the friggin yard for a weigh-in since it seems virtually impossible I'll get this fixed before my paper tags expire Friday... all for a fooking plow vehicle for crispies sake. :gonnablow
I know a guy, but I heard he doesn't make house calls anymore. If you can limp it in to Colorado Springs Used Cars, have Larry Hull work on it.

Not what you asked for, but PM inbound.

It is a mildly built 460, bored 3 over, not many miles on it. I've changed the oil and plugs. I just finished rebuilding the carb - Edelbrock performer, very similar to a carter of similar vintage. It didn't run really at all when the carb was pulled (filthy) and acid bathed before the rebuild. I suspect either a carb issue, or a timing issue, but I've been living with FI vehicles for so long that I'm not sure what step to take next. It runs and revs fine when parked, though with an occasional backfire, but it stumbles and lacks power under load (i.e. driving)...

Back