• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock 88xj and 1600???????

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
i got a stock 88 xj tonight. it has the 35 rear, 4 door, red with silver trim. power everything, ac, cd player, and some other gismos. ive got 1600 right now and i want to lift it. i am thinking either a 4.5 rustys full leaf kit, or RE 3.5 w/ aal. and some 33x13.50 ltbs, on some 15x8 black rock crawlers with 3.5 backspacing. my questions are, do these sound like a good combo? is 3.5 backspacing about right for this settup? my friend has some 33 ltbs on his chevy and is realy loving them. does anyone else run this tire and how does it compare with say tsls or mtrs? it will be my daily driver, and be wheeled on weekends in the rocks and some slightly muddy trails. if i could afford one in this budget (dont think i can so it will prolly have to wait) i woud like to lock the rear and eventualy the front too. ive heard the 35 pretty well sucks, how long should it last with 33s on it? im not realy heavy on the throttle. well i just wanted to anounce i now have an xj and ask some questions.

kolby

okay what i was realy trying to say is, should i go with rustys 4.5 full leaf kit, 33x13.50 ltbs, and no locker, or

re 3.5 (ive heard it realy more like 4.5) with aals, 33 ltbs, and a locker for the rear?

and im not afraid to cut some sheetmetal

kolby

you will have to do some trimming to put the 33's on a 4.5 lift. I'm putting 33x12.5 on a 6.5 lift with 4.5 back space.. that is what was reccomended to me.. any good tire store will have that info. if you want a good 4.5 look at the rubicon express super flex w/rear leaf springs... 950.00 by the time you get a sye, and cv drive shaft, that should eat up that money... good luck...

Just send the money to me and I can come to your house and go ahead and roll it on it's side for you.

Add skids first, then get used to it. Wheel it like this for awhile and you'll have a better idea what you'll be needing to suit YOUR tastes.

First thing I would do is change ALL the fluids, give it a good tune up, flush the cooling system and if necessary replace the radiator and fan clutch. Once I was sure it was running right I would then start looking at mods. Skid plates are first, gas tank at a minimum, rocker skids, front and rear tow points.
I'm assuming you have an automatic which means either 3:53's or 3:73 gears, might be OK on 33's, might want to check some of the other postings, 4:10's seem to be the low minimum for 33's.
You could change to an 8.25 rear or D44 and at the same time swap the front from the same donor vehicle so you can loose the front vacumn disconnect differential if you have one.
Just some ideas....

lankchevy said:
what would have more flex do u think? rustys 4.5 aal kit, or REs 3.5 superflex kit with aal?

kolby

Kid, you're gonna put your eye out.
I know that you have (had) a mildly modded CJ, but the wheeling is different in an XJ.
Get used to your new rig, its (rusty) parts, the way the weight transfer works, the throttle response.
Add some armor and go play a little.
It has been said a lot, but you will be astounded what a stock XJ can get you into and out of.
All you are looking at is AAL setups, which says to me that you are going more for 'the look' than 'the ability'.
If you want a tall rig with big meats and crappy mileage and questionable mechanicals, then go ahead and aal and coil spacer your way to happiness.
My advice, spend a week giving your new rig the 'once over' and then the 'twice over'. As stated, change all the fluids, and INSPECT that truck from top to bottom. Make a note of fluids that may be leaking, notice the bolts that WILL break off when you try to remove them, and then go out and learn to use the new rig.
The XJ is a touchy beast, and lift = headaches unless you arm yourself with knowledge first by reading a lot on this board.
HTH, and good luck.

going a lift with a aal is a big part of my whole being on a budget. i do plan to eventualy get full leaf packs for the rear but for now aals will have to work. i got rid of the cj because after i got it all fixed up it looked to good to go scratch it all up, this is why i got the xj. if i bought a 5.5 inch long arm kit with sye and shaft, and did it right, then it would ride around with 225s for a month and a half or two. the plan is to, lift it, tires, then gears, lockers, and skids. the statement about me wanting the look not the ability doesnt make alot of since because i was asking which kit would have the most flex? i know aal is nowhere near as good as full packs, but packs are not in the budget right now. thanks for the advice u did give me tho.

i have a set of aluminum 15x7s with 3.5 backspacing, would i be able to run 34x10.5 ltbs, or 33x13.50 ltbs on these wheels and not have any problems after i lift it?im thinking the 33s might be too wide for them.

kolby

Back