• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Q's

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I hit any kind of a bump, turn, or my Jeep is suddenly shaken, there is a popping noise from the steering box area. I tried tightening the bolts in that area, but they are as tight as can be. I don't know if I need to expect this thing to just fall off or what. Should I be worried with it just tearing out with my stock tires on? I am moving up to 33's in a few weeks, but for now, what should I do?

Check the track bar bracket, both outside and inside bolts......very typical. Or it could be the track bar joint itself if you have the stock track bar.

There are actually 5 fasteners on the driver's side that should be checked.

On the frame mounted bracket for the driver's end of the track bar, you should see 2 bolts going up from under the frame rail into a couple of weld nuts, and a couple of nuts or bolts in from the wheel well above the first 2.

The last is the castle nut inside the bracket on the top of the tie rod end.

I broke one of the weld nuts loose and the movement was nearly unperceptible, yet it made a pretty good bang when it shifted.

Like Jeff said, two bolts inside the frame rail and two bolts outside the frame at the top of the track bar mount. The two inside the frame need to be REALLY tight. I use an end wrench with another end wrench looped on the end (double length) and tighten it has hard as I can. That was my typical pop for a long time, unitl I welded the damn mount to the frame......then I cracked the frame. :)

The other thing is the actual tie rod end (joint) at the frame end of the track bar. It will pop when it's worn out, and you need a new track bar. Good time to upgrade to a good adjustable one.

jjvande said:
i've been getting some popping too. what does the RE HD JJ sound like when it is worn out?

Popping.
I've had to tighten mine several times although I have not had to rebuild it yet. If you have a friend turn the wheel back and forth you should be able to see it it's loose or not.

Jes

Back