• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Frame brace

Matt said:
I think the issue is that by the time most people need a brace the area by the box is already weakened, cracked or fatigued

I bought one from MORE after tearing the box off the frame 3 times in one day - I figure why reinvent the wheel, I also built a 1/4" plate for the outside of the frame and a 1/8" plate for inside - welded up the cracks and then welded on the plates, bolted up the brace and never had another problem...

The whole project only took about 2 hours - things go quick when you have access to a plasma and a 70 ton ironworker :D

Matt

Here are a few pics of what I fabbed up. Is that similar to you're design?? The first picture is my outside plate uninstalled, and the second is the plate installed. The reason why I have 3 different pieces to the plate is because I had to build around my front bumper brackets. Sorry for the large pics...
447835MVC-836F.JPG

447851MVC-844F.JPG

The next few pics are of the inside plate. I welded spacer onto the inside plate because I broke that aluminum stock POS spacer into 5 pieces, and because it is a shitty design.
447830MVC-834F.JPG

447832MVC-835F.JPG

I also drilled out 2 of the 3 holes and just put on Grade 8 bolts and nuts. I was tired of being careful when torquing down the delicate steering box threads. So now, I can torque the hell out of those bolts. Makes me feel better!!:) And my steering has never felt so stout!!

Re: Re: C-Rok Plate

BillR said:
Mine came in yestereday and I hope to get it painted and installed today.
The instructions say not to do the install alone. Is this the case? When I talked to Greg from CRock, he explained the install and it sounded like no big deal.:confused:

Put mine an alone in about 45 minutes. I did it a little different than the instructions say. I disconnected the Sway bar links, dropped the sway bar bracket on the drivers side, Removed the drivers side bumper cap to get access to my tow hooks and bumper attachments, removed steering box bolts, then slid it into place and reversed everything.

Good Luck,
Joe

juicexj24....

Hey, i know what its like to mention something in a Forum and someone shoot it down for little or no reason. The problem is that i do not expect it nearly as much here in NAXJA as happens in JU. Overall, our contributors generally are of a higher calibur, but exceptions do seem to exist.

This is one of the things that can be so great about a Forum like this, to bring to our attention new products!! $54 is nothing for the cost of a decent product, even something reportedly so simple. I do happen to posess some fabrication equipment but i'd probably buy that brace rather than build one myself. My time is worth more than that. Keep up the good work!!

Judd,
You honestly take it that seriously when someone disagrees with you? If I mention a product or a modification, its because I want to know the good and bad. Then I make the decision whether or not to buy it. Also nobody shot down the steering brace. They just said that it is a part that is very easy to make.

i use the more brace and the c-rok. i used only the more at first and ripped the gear out of the frame. if you go on the c-rok site the pictures he uses for what could happen without one are from my jeep. i was one of the test jeeps and i give it top honors. i drilled a fourth hole for my agr gear though. but since i installed it not a single problem.

Well........

It makes no difference whether or not the brace is easy to make-has not a thing to do with that at all. You miss the point totally. Is how that point was/is made. After all, look at his reaction to that response. I am trying to point out that there could be a measure of 'tact' one can use to not make the contributor think the post was stupid or 'lesser'. Not sure why one's own "perceived importance" is boosted by such strong postings. Is not necessary at all. I know what it is like because has happened to me and others in Forums in the past and does tend to take some of the fun out of it. Isn't that the main reason for this entire Forum endeavor?? I guess one should just get used to 'overlooking' some of the responses, and perhaps this is what i will have to do more often, but is such a shame-

Personally i am thinking positively about that product and i thank him for bringing it to my attention.

Is too damn bad i had to even go there with all this. Is certanly not enjoyable for me, but when one is 'hit' like this, i am compelled to respond. Forgive me. Is just that (almost) everyone deserves a measure of cordiality and respect. Seems to be lacking in all aspects of life so much these days..... Not sure what is up with that.

I installed the C-Rock brace yesterday. Everything went well EXCEPT there was a fender brace in the way! On my '01, I have a fender brace that attached with a tiny bolt to the frame side. That spot is covered by the CRock, so I'll need to drill a hole or figure another way to attach the brace.
This thing is well-made and beefy! I'd recommended it!

Glad it went well Bill - I did not even think about the fender brace as it has been along time since I chopped those out - I figure most folks who need this brace have likely done a fair bit of trimming already - I would just drill and tap a little hole to afix the brace with a bolt if you still need it (or just chop off the bottom half ;) )

CajunCherokee - those pieces look very similar to what I used except for the spacers - I had considered that but since I may be switching to a hydraulic orbital valve for full hydro steering I decided to just plate the frame and re-use the aluminum jobby...

If I do the orbital I will just build a bracket so it mounts in the OEM holes - allowing the jeep to be converted back and forth if needed

Looks like a well thought out execution though - :D

Matt

mark91xjbeef said:
if you go on the c-rok site the pictures he uses for what could happen without one are from my jeep.
I can't get the c-rok site to work. Can you post a direct link to the page you are reffering too so I can get a better look at what everyone is talking about?
Thanx. :)

JEEPZZ said:
I can't get the c-rok site to work. Can you post a direct link to the page you are reffering too so I can get a better look at what everyone is talking about?
Thanx. :)
Try this one...c-rock info
:cool:

Paul S said:
It's good to see some real solutions coming out for the frame area around the steering box, other than a simple steering box brace that is known to causes the very cracks that they are supposed to prevent...
Please enlighten me... how does a steering box brace CAUSE cracks in the frame?

Back