• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spy Pics of 8.8 Upgrade kit

BillR said:
That's been solved....weld the tubes!:doh: :wave:
I think you missed my sarcastic point that it was a crappy axle out of the box and needs issues addressed. IE: c-clips, & spun housings :wow: :rolleyes:

I don't agree with the 8.8 being a crappy axle at all. Its easily on par with a Dana 44. the benefits of the stock 8.8 are pretty obvious. And its great for Jeeps due to the similar width and same 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. the spun housing is an easy fix that should be dealt with before installation. nothing five minutes with the welder can't fix. this kit addresses the other factors that are typically considered weaknesses of the Ford 8.8 rear end. with this kit you should be able to run 37s with no problems at all

Ghost said:
I think you missed my sarcastic point that it was a crappy axle out of the box

as opposed to what similiar priced, size and available axle?

bang for buck, it's a good axle

Ghost said:
I think you missed my sarcastic point that it was a crappy axle out of the box and needs issues addressed. IE: c-clips, & spun housings :wow: :rolleyes:
No, you were being given the benefit of the doubt.
Then you went and made this stupid statement, effectively removing all doubt.

correction on the alloy. the shafts will be heat treated 4340 chromoly. they will ship with the bearings and retainers pressed on. the kit is completely bolt on with NO welding required

I bet they cut the end (where the factory bearing sits) of the housing off and bolt on an adapter, sort of a bolt on 9" housing end (would account for the increase in width) and install a conventional bearing/retainer set up axle. Am I right?--------Hans

please delete post.
wrong thread

91 Jeep Project said:
Get a little yellow paint in your eyes?

even then - 4340 is much too brittle a material after heat treatment to take the shock sideload from a semi-float rear end...

Considering there are thousands of ways to heat treat 4340, you can't say it's a brittle material. It beats the hell out of many steels out there, with a ball park yield strength of 100,000 psi. Are there better steels to use? Always, but it depends on how much you want to pay

not with Superiors treatment method. do some reading on their website. I got a chance to get a complete tour of the Superior factory from Mike Denton himself. I watched axle shafts be made from solid pieces of 4340 chromoly rod to the finished product. I got to see every stage of their production and quality assurance checks first hand. I also got to see cut up cross sections of their heat treated shafts right along side heat treated shafts from Alloy USA, and Yukon. Superiors heat treating was much more uniform and clean. They spend alot of time and money researching the right temps and values for their heat treating process. each shaft and alloy is treated at the appropriate temperature according to its alloy and intended application.

Want More proof? Mike told me that of all the super 30 kits they have sold, they have only ever had TWO broken shafts returned for warranty replacement

XJ_ranger said:
even then - 4340 is much too brittle a material after heat treatment to take the shock sideload from a semi-float rear end...
I've heard that too, but I think Superior knows just a little more about axle shaft technology than all of NAXJA combined ;)

PolyPerformance also has 4340 semi-float axle shafts for Toyotas, and nobody has been able to break them (yet). http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/product.php?productid=86&cat=149&page=1

Any updates on this kit?

BrettM said:
I've heard that too, but I think Superior knows just a little more about axle shaft technology than all of NAXJA combined ;)

Probably - we'll see what happens with this new product... :D

Back