• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Recommendations

I am curiouse as to why you want to go through the floor, I am assuming it is for added wheel travel and surprised that a standard shackle/leaf system will allow much mor up travel (plus limited tire space unless you are re-tubing the wheel wells?) and not sure that the added down travel is worth it? I can see it if you were linking, but not for standard leafs?

Michael

.My current setup with a 3" pack and a 2" lift shackle can max out a 10" travel shock.

Great thread.
Sideshow, do you have any pics of your setup?

I don't have my jeep right now but ill post pics as soon as I get it. Should be this weekend.

NorthwestXJ
I don't think that I would be too worried about the added axle wrap from the new shock locations as long as you have decent springs and shackles. I am curiouse as to why you want to go through the floor, I am assuming it is for added wheel travel and surprised that a standard shackle/leaf system will allow much mor up travel (plus limited tire space unless you are re-tubing the wheel wells?) and not sure that the added down travel is worth it? I can see it if you were linking, but not for standard leafs?

Michael
I am currently running an OME 3" pack with their extra add-a-leaf and an extra xj leaf added as well. Running these with a JKS shackle I am getting about 4" of lift. The pack does ride nice, but problem is they are a very soft leaf pack. Even the way they are, they have some axle wrap as it is. That and they are very "flat." Sitting at ride height they are almost completely flat so I am not able to run much up travel. I ran them before to where they inverted just a little bit and not too long after the pack 'S' bent and sagged badly. ARB was good about it, and replaced the pack and I bumpstopped it more, and so far so good, but I just don't get a lot of travel out of them.

Due to my low lift height I am running 8" shocks in the rear and would really like to be able to run something a little longer. I also would love to be able to have a pack with a little more arch so I could run some more uptravel.

I am currently running an OME 3" pack with their extra add-a-leaf and an extra xj leaf added as well. Running these with a JKS shackle I am getting about 4" of lift. The pack does ride nice, but problem is they are a very soft leaf pack. Even the way they are, they have some axle wrap as it is. That and they are very "flat." Sitting at ride height they are almost completely flat so I am not able to run much up travel. I ran them before to where they inverted just a little bit and not too long after the pack 'S' bent and sagged badly. ARB was good about it, and replaced the pack and I bumpstopped it more, and so far so good, but I just don't get a lot of travel out of them.

Due to my low lift height I am running 8" shocks in the rear and would really like to be able to run something a little longer. I also would love to be able to have a pack with a little more arch so I could run some more uptravel.

I ran about 4-4.5" lift springs in the rear of mine (bastard pack ~7 leaf if memory serves me). the fenders were trimmed as much as possible so I got as much up travel as possible without tires hitting the fenders, and my shocks were moved up on the axle so they were flush (not hanging down). I ran a 10" travel shock and it was bumpstoped to protect the leaves just as they went inverted.

My perspective is only this: I suspect if you look at how much travel you can get out of a stock length leaf pack it won't be much more than 10", before you let it get too stuffed and hit the tires on the wheel wells or damage the spring from going inverted, and any additional droop won't be significant before you hit the shackle box or it is useless from a traction perspective. I may be wrong and every application is a little different but I would think that you could stuff a 12" travel shock in if you adjusted the angles a little and I don't think you could max it out given the other constraints.

Switch to much longer leaves/shackles, switch to links and it totally changes the restrictions.

Just my opinion,
Michael

I ran about 4-4.5" lift springs in the rear of mine (bastard pack ~7 leaf if memory serves me). the fenders were trimmed as much as possible so I got as much up travel as possible without tires hitting the fenders, and my shocks were moved up on the axle so they were flush (not hanging down). I ran a 10" travel shock and it was bumpstoped to protect the leaves just as they went inverted.

My perspective is only this: I suspect if you look at how much travel you can get out of a stock length leaf pack it won't be much more than 10", before you let it get too stuffed and hit the tires on the wheel wells or damage the spring from going inverted, and any additional droop won't be significant before you hit the shackle box or it is useless from a traction perspective. I may be wrong and every application is a little different but I would think that you could stuff a 12" travel shock in if you adjusted the angles a little and I don't think you could max it out given the other constraints.

Switch to much longer leaves/shackles, switch to links and it totally changes the restrictions.

Just my opinion,
Michael

Agreed, if I were to set up a new rig I would re-locate the forward leafspring mount and run MJ leaves. I believe the A and B dimensions on the MJ leaves are symmetrical unlike the xj leaves.

So i have been saving some money to order some rear leaf's from Big Offroad. Went to the website to order a set today and its been shut down. Anyone heard anything?
Sorry, no trying to hijack the thread....

So i have been saving some money to order some rear leaf's from Big Offroad. Went to the website to order a set today and its been shut down. Anyone heard anything?
Sorry, no trying to hijack the thread....

Looking at the cached page it didn't say anthing about shutting down as of the 27th of last month. My guess is hosting expired and he hasn't renewed or the site is down. call him and ask

John L. Paulsen Jr.
1aa57ce743f1728611377c85b4863dd3.png
+1 303 814 0338, Fax: +1 303 663 2763

Back