• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Socalfest

Build some removable fenders. Like a superwide trailer fender. All your lights are in order right? Same with emissions?

Yes, I'm pretty much legal except for no windshield, seat belts, fenders, mud flaps, and I need a passenger side view mirror.

Other than that I'm currently registered, just need to get my new T case in so I can take it to get smogged, and I should have working tail lights and turn signals by then.

Like you guys say, as long as I keep to the dirt roads we should be ok. Chances are we would do a deep creek run and just do an out and back run and stay off the highway.

My wife is pregnant and is due May 25th, so camping for us will be out of the question. We will just get a hotel room for the weekend.

Only need a driver side external mirror

This is true if he has the rear view inside the jeep on the windshield. If not you must run a mirror on both driver and passenger side. He does need mud flaps on it and stock seat belts. For the glass(windshield) i would buy something you could install and remove when not on highway.

This is true if he has the rear view inside the jeep on the windshield. If not you must run a mirror on both driver and passenger side. He does need mud flaps on it and stock seat belts. For the glass(windshield) i would buy something you could install and remove when not on highway.

This is true, the officer that wrote me the last fix it ticket said I have to have two mirrors. I only had the one drivers side view mirror at the time.

This is not a section I issue citations for but here it is:
26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
(3) A bus or trolley coach.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers

Jeeper John is correct on the mirrors (obviously with the V.C. #). As far as the windscreen plexiglass being sufficient it is up to interpretation of the officer. V.C. 26700 states that all vehicles must have a windscreen if it came with one built after 1936. V.C. 26701 goes on to say that is must be of safety glazing material. There are ways around it such as helmets, plexiglass, half windshields like on roadsters, ect... But it is once again up to interpretation of the officer. Having no fenders, front and or rear bumpers and all cut up chances are he will cite you just for one of the multiple V.C. violations even if you put on mud flaps, do not exceed headlight height, have mirror(s), tire size width not wider than 3" from fender. Unless you have a get out of Jail free card, or I'm ridding with you and know him! V.C. actually restricts how a tire cannot have lugs that extend past the width of the tire/tread surface (Thornbirds and such). You could argue that it is part of the tread but he could say it's not and it's a block or lug, semantics!!:flame:

In summation he has authority to tow and impound a vehicle he feels is unsafe.

Yes, I'm pretty much legal except for no windshield, seat belts, fenders, mud flaps, and I need a passenger side view mirror.

Other than that I'm currently registered, just need to get my new T case in so I can take it to get smogged, and I should have working tail lights and turn signals by then.

Like you guys say, as long as I keep to the dirt roads we should be ok. Chances are we would do a deep creek run and just do an out and back run and stay off the highway.

My wife is pregnant and is due May 25th, so camping for us will be out of the question. We will just get a hotel room for the weekend.

Offroaders....we're always gettin picked on. My dad has a 1932 Ford hot rod with no fenders, one rearview mirror, which is mounted on like an 8" tall front windshield and straight exhaust from the Chevy 350! He gets waves, not tickets..... Funny though. You should paint it cherry red and chrome everything like a hot rod. Might be cheaper. :looney:

Offroaders....we're always gettin picked on. My dad has a 1932 Ford hot rod with no fenders, one rearview mirror, which is mounted on like an 8" tall front windshield and straight exhaust from the Chevy 350! He gets waves, not tickets..... Funny though. You should paint it cherry red and chrome everything like a hot rod. Might be cheaper. :looney:

This is pretty much the case unless you drive a rat rod...

I used to chop 50s cars in high school and cruise with one drivers side mirror and a lexan windshield. The only area I got harassed in was Huntington Beach, and that officer threatened to impound because he felt the suspension was unsafe...

Back