• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal Chapter event

Big Bear is in the back yard. Good thing / bad thing. If we are talking about an annual snow run, do we want it to run two or frost bitten days? I've never been on a run at Calico, so my input would be limited to trying to keep the location as central as feasable.:cool:

T Bent said:
Big Bear is in the back yard. Good thing / bad thing. If we are talking about an annual snow run, do we want it to run two or frost bitten days? I've never been on a run at Calico, so my input would be limited to trying to keep the location as central as feasable.:cool:

Don't think a weekend snow run, with camping, is what we're after. I love a good day run to the snow, but a weekend snow trip could be a bit much.

We've got at least a half dozen XJ's in Bakersfield that would be interested in a weekend XJ event. Big Bear is not exactly in our back yard, it's over four hours. We also have people on the coast, and in Ridgecrest, and Calico or Stoddard Valley is much closer for us. Big Bear is a good destination, just not exactly in everyone's back yard. From the south, isn't Barstow about the same driving time as Big Bear?

We do need to check on other events if we try to do something at Calico. The SoCal chapter BOD will need to make the final decision. I would be happy to lead a trail, if we go somewhere where I'm familiar with the trails. I know a very fun way to run Doran Canyon in Calico that adds some good hard stuff.

Calico is great in winter.

Avoiding the other people who enjoy the winter there may be difficult, so let's set a date and look up the potential conflicts (yes, I want a cabin reserved)?

GSequoia said:
I love the desert in the winter...

Umm...anybody know of someplace one could find out if Calico has any events going on offhand?

Sequoia

Yeah, pick up the phone and call the campground. :) :)

1-760-254-2122

GSequoia said:
I love the desert in the winter...

Umm...anybody know of someplace one could find out if Calico has any events going on offhand?

Sequoia
Phone Number: 1-800-TO-CALICO
And the event that I was thinking of was actually a one time deal last year (just found leftovers of a flier from last year....) so I guess we should be fine (although a call to them to confirm might be good) and Calico days happened about a week ago.

OK, just got off the phone with Calico. They are pretty booked up on Jan 16-18, MLK weekend. No full hookup sites are available, but the overflow is not booked and the cabins are available at this time. I am trying to verify that another club, On the Rocks, is doing something there that weekend, which I think has been the case in previous years. We don't want to be there is another 4x4 group is there the same weekend, it gets bunched up real bad at the bottom of Doran Canyon. Last year we were there and another group got to the bottom before we did and had a bad breakdown, with a very slow extraction plan......our whole group took the bypass.

They are totally open on Jan 30-31, which isn't a three day weekend for some, but could still be a good time.

Well...anyplace is going to be a new adventure for me! I have heard great things about Calico. (but Remi would need to drive thru Barstow again!)
If possible a place with large trees would be nice (we don't allow trees here in the desert)
Also if we can stay away from holliday weekends....
Thats my two cents worth....:D

Jump This said:
Remi would need to drive thru Barstow again
geee thanks.... remind me of that.. will you???? Anyways, don't worry, I will find a detour :D[/B]
Also if we can stay away from holliday weekends

I agree on the holiday weekends.... they make the drive out a bear (everyone leaving town) and coming back even worse (everyone coming back).....

Jump This said:
...Also if we can stay away from holliday weekends...

You've raised a good point here. Calico is off Interstate 15, which, of cousre, is the main road to Vegas, do we really want to have to mess with the people coming back from Vegas traffic, especially in light of the construction on the 15 that a certain member here knows all too much about?

GSequoia said:
You've raised a good point here. Calico is off Interstate 15, which, of cousre, is the main road to Vegas, do we really want to have to mess with the people coming back from Vegas traffic, especially in light of the construction on the 15 that a certain member here knows all too much about?

Lets not worry about small thing like traffic, if we did then ever spot we chose would have a problem. Let the spot have good access, wheeling for all levels, and camping for a group. That's what an event needs and Calico sound great to me.

mark

DesertXJ said:
And the point is?? :confused:

For me only that that weekend makes good sense for the event and I already have plans for that weekend. :confused:

I might have to make a chose I didn't want to make. But that weekend is look good for the event.

mark

The traffic should not be at issue, the wheeling opportunity should take priority (and Calico has excellent variety).

The Superbowl weekend has the advantage of the masses staying at home. Can we draw wheelers away from the TV?

Jan 31 (open) or Feb 7 (?)

I think that traffic is an issue in a way..... I am not talking about spot choosing but about the timing.... the point raised about the superbowl weekend being dead on the freeways is very valid. I think we might want to take advantage of it :D

As Remi said there, my concern wasn't reagular 15 traffic, just three day weekend everybody coming back from Vegas half drunk traffic. I'm game for Superbowl weekend as long as we can get people out there, not much of a sports guy..:) Maybe we can get all of them to program their VCR's and warn all their friends not to even mention the score for fear of physical harm? :D

Sequoia

Back