• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Who's Showing Up???

I have been directed to this thread. I'll be there with a non-member in his XJ. Mine is dead...

We will likely be "camping" in his big ole RV.

Any help you official types need give me a yell.

If you guys havent forgotten, i can give you guys directions to naches:D It depends on if you want to run white or chinook pass......for those of you in south western wa, its easy, just head over white pass. for those of you northern wa, head over snoqualmie, south to yakima, then hit the whitepass/naches exit to go back north.....and just follow the road:D a good place to eat is the gold creek station up on chinook......little spendy but GREAT food.......also state campground about 5 miles up the road from there, good camping, right next to the river, 5 mins from the trailheads. wish i could be there guys.

Kris

I will be there with my jeep, I will probably drag at least one other friend and his truck along (Land Rover Discovery), possibly others.

I have done the Naches several times as well as a few other trails in the area. A stock rig should be fine as long as you are experienced with the truck and you are not "scared of damage" the lower you are the more likely, however, I believe it is more than doable.

Any plans yet for where wer are starting (which side of the pass) and where we are camping? I assume that someone will reserve a large area for us?

I look forward to meeting as many people as possible in the area,

I also will be coming from the North (Marysville) and would not mind car pooling with any others coming from north of me.

Michael

I think me and another fellow naxja user bigpimpinben will be there. We still have to make are jeeps meet requirements but they shouldnt be a prolem. Still deciding where to put tow hooks on the fron of my jeep tho. I only have a 4.5 inch lift and 31's, have no lockers and might have gears but not a guarantee. Plus im only 18 so i havent had the experience wheeling most of you have. Will these be suitiable for the trip or is this a little out of my league?

You shouldn't have any issues with 4.5" lift. Personally I believe this trail is very do-able with stock cherokee as long as you have a tow strap and decent tread tires and some experience (skid plates are always nice).

Just make sure you get some tow points on the front (not just tow hooks, Just want to make sure you are aware that they need to be re-inforced!! If you are not sure what I meet do a search or e-mail me back chanel on tow hooks).

dell, depending on which trails they decide to run (make sure yall run the funny rocks!!!) it wont be too bad....i've watched 14/15 year old kids drive dad's jeep up and around, and they didnt do too bad....just make sure someone's got a good chainsaw in case the eastern guys havent ran the trails in awhile, and ya need to clear away a tree or two. other than that, you guys might not be able to make a fire, depends on how high the fire danger is.....have fun guys, ecksjay, make sure to take lots of pics for me, i'm pissed that i cant make it! Be safe, guys, and take care!

Kris

p.s. if you guys need a trail guide or anything, i might be able to convince my brother to head on up....he knows the area/trails fairly well.

ladywolf said:
...just make sure someone's got a good chainsaw in case the eastern guys havent ran the trails in awhile, and ya need to clear away a tree or two.

ummm,... you're joking right?

ECKSJAY said:
Fallen trees too high to go over, too low to go under, not ones growing in the middle of the trail. BTDT, wished I had a saw.

Careful there Philonious, it might be a trap. Remember the blackberry bush incident, what, a year and a half ago? :roflmao: (When we going shooting again?)
For what it's worth guys, we do this all the time on the dry side. Just make sure there are no burn bans in effect or the local Shire-Reeve will come knocking. :nono: Chainsaws aren't exactly the safest things to use when the forests are drier than newspaper, and we don't go light on fines. Dangerous times to be about. Ladywolf, keep outta harm's way, you hear? :us:

No prob USP.....i was just mentioning the chainsaw because some of the places are really tight and turning around/backing up is not really an option. its also courteous to the other trail guys. trees fall all the time, and sometimes they block the trails, so normally we'll cut 'em up and move em far enuf outta the way to continue on our way. USP, where in eastern Wa are you? I'm from just south of the yakima valley. family members belong to the lower valley canyon crawlers....if ya've heard of em.

Kris

I'm definitely interested in the trip if it isn't too late to get in. I've got an 87 XJ, 6" RE/KOR long-arm lift, 33s, warn M8000, have lockers and 4.56s just waiting to get installed, and several other goodies.

ladywolf said:
No prob USP.....i was just mentioning the chainsaw because some of the places are really tight and turning around/backing up is not really an option. its also courteous to the other trail guys. trees fall all the time, and sometimes they block the trails, so normally we'll cut 'em up and move em far enuf outta the way to continue on our way. USP, where in eastern Wa are you? I'm from just south of the yakima valley. family members belong to the lower valley canyon crawlers....if ya've heard of em.

Kris

I thought I misread your original post, I hope you aren't falling trees that aren't already "dead falls" is what I meant.

But I wouldn't ever cut down a tree just because I was having a hard time turning around.

I can bring a saw if it is still needed. As long as my work doesn't go to a new shift configuration before then (they are talking about starting a weekend shift of 3-13's on fri. Sat. and Sun.). Seeing as it is a union place and I am low man, I will have no choice but to take the weekend shift. Hopefully it won't happen before the weekend of the Northwest Fest.

Just got back from Naches today. I'll call the forestry service to see about reserving an area we looked at on Monday. Hope it's not reserved, it was perfect for what we need.

We'll be located close to hwy 410, though the exact location is not set in stone yet.

There will be plenty to do for all vehicles from stock to hardcore. We'll try to keep the groups rather small. 10 vehicles is about perfect, but we'll see how it goes.

I remind everyone to check the "Event Information" thread I just sent BTT in this forum for vehicle requirements.

As far as suggested items: All needed camping gear. Tools and spare parts are a good idea. Extra vehicle fluids. You'll want a camera of your choice. I've done video, digital, and 35mm. A GPS is nice to have too. This list could go on and on.

Most of the campgrounds have toilets, but that's it. No running water, just a hand well pump. So keep that in mind when you pack. There are picknick tables, and fire rings too. There is also a lot of wood lying around, but I don't know the laws on scavenging the wood for a fire. Unless we have an unusually dry season, we should be able to have a fire.

You'll be able to get gas nearby. It's a bit spendy, but it's there. You can also travel into the town of Naches and pick up some groceries if needed too.

The NW Chapter has taken hints from other chapters and their events and has decided to charge for the event. If we do secure the group site, we'll most likely roll most fees into an event price that includes the campground cost, and the event fee.

Steve

Last edited:
cherokee, the only trees we've ever cut are the ones layin on the ground that are too big for jeeps to crawl over....we dont cut live ones. policy for the jeep club i used to belong to was to keep the trail how you found it, or better...a lot of times we'd pick up trash on the way, and clear way dead trees from the trail, stuff like that. stuff to keep the trails nice, and the forest service off our backs

Willis said:
Just got back from Naches today. I'll call the forestry service to see about reserving an area we looked at on Monday. Hope it's not reserved, it was perfect for what we need.

What camp area are you looking at? If you are going to an actual improved site, check here to make sure the campground isn't on it. http://www.reserveusa.com/ I checked the group sites in that area and they're all reserved for the time period this group is going. Ever since they've gone to this system it's been a real pain but at least you have a nice, well-maintained ground as well as a guaranteed site. This is a third party reservation service that runs it now. Really helps to plan ahead. Have you considered an unimproved area?

Good luck.

USP40_HK said:
What camp area are you looking at? If you are going to an actual improved site, check here to make sure the campground isn't on it. http://www.reserveusa.com/ I checked the group sites in that area and they're all reserved for the time period this group is going. Ever since they've gone to this system it's been a real pain but at least you have a nice, well-maintained ground as well as a guaranteed site. This is a third party reservation service that runs it now. Really helps to plan ahead. Have you considered an unimproved area?

Good luck.

I called the reservation number on the sign by the group site, it directed me to the company you posted. The group site is taken that weekend, kinda sucks. I was looking at Kaner Flats. The larger Kaner Flats campground is first come first serve. We may just do it there. I would not mind an unimproved area, you know any large enough?

You can reserve the areas as soon as 1 year in advance. We should reserve the group site for this time next year.

Steve

Hey Steve there is primitive camping all throughout Manastash (at least the last time I was up there). For those who don't know, primitive is totally unimproved...ie: bring in your own water, no toilets available. Might be what this group will have to do this time. Only problem with that is not being able to reserve anything, so everyone would have to show up and see what we get.

Have you entertained the idea of maybe getting a few individual sites at another campground? Some of the sites at different campgrounds allow more than one vehicle, sometimes 3 or so. LD (USP) referred me to that website last year and it does say whether you can have more than one vehicle at it. The maps online might give you an idea of what sites to get...then see if you can get a few close together. I've done group camping trips via individual sites within the same campground and it worked. You just have to have everyone on the same page and set up a further 'rally' point for each run/event. Example: I was just at the site and as of right now Sawmill Flat Campground (in the area, just off 410 before Cliffdell) has sites 7-13 open, each allows 2 vehicles per site, max occupancy 6 people per site.
sawm1.gif

They're all in line from one another in the loop. Drawback: Sites have to be paid for in advance and will run about $15/night, $7/night additional vehicle (average price). It adds up pretty quickly. I'm taking my family up to one of the sites on this side of the mountains the weekend before and it's running us $39 for the weekend (of course this includes their $9 'reservation fee' per site. Nice, they require you to reserve them but charge you $9, a la TicketMaster). At least we're paid for and guaranteed to be available for us when we get there.

I hope this works out for everyone. I was under the impression it was going to be a primitive camping thing from the beginning. Reserving a group site for next year might not be a bad idea. :)

sawmill flats is where i was talking about. its a pretty nice campground. you guys i'll like it:) plus its 5 mins away from some caverns, if yall wanted to do a group thing.

Kris

Back