• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel

Is a snorkel worth the money?

• Yes

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • ???

Votes: 23 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowdy said:
But now.. if you're going to be that deep in shit.. I'm hoping like mad your door seals are good as well as the diff and T-case and anything on the engine itself are nice and sealed.

Amazing just how many places water/mud will get into!

no, its ok. Oil and Water dont mix.... so you'll be fine... :wierd:

So I am getting gas today and there is a glass company there offering to wash your windows. The guy comes over and says "Wow thats the biggest jeep I have seen in here." Then he asks me about the snorkel. He says "Is that for crossing deep water?" And I tell him..."No its totaly a poser Mod. I put it there to have dumb young punks like you ask me what its there for."

Then he notices I have a broken windshield and asks me if I wanna cheap quote for a new one. I tell him sure so he pulls out the phone and calls in. Here is what he says...
"Yeah I need a quote on a....Hey what year is your jeep?....89.....Yeah I need a quote on a 89 WRANGLER?

Thats why I put my snorkel on....To have stupid people like that ask me what it is.
I AM the TRUE poser
That is all.

Not worth the money for a plastic tube. I switched from a K&N cone filter to a home made snorkel. The type that sucks air from just below the windshield. It works even when totally covered in snow (just found this out). I did suffer a mpg hit but I'm not cleaning my air filter after "every" off roading trip. Since it's no longer my DD I don't mind.

The way I made mine allowed me to leave an overhang coming through the firewall so any water falling directly down can not go directly into the air intake.

I would say make your own (covered many times on this board) and then spend the money you saved on other mods.

JMHO,
Rough

DrMoab said:
So I am getting gas today and there is a glass company there offering to wash your windows. The guy comes over and says "Wow thats the biggest jeep I have seen in here." Then he asks me about the snorkel. He says "Is that for crossing deep water?" And I tell him..."No its totaly a poser Mod. I put it there to have dumb young punks like you ask me what its there for."

Then he notices I have a broken windshield and asks me if I wanna cheap quote for a new one. I tell him sure so he pulls out the phone and calls in. Here is what he says...
"Yeah I need a quote on a....Hey what year is your jeep?....89.....Yeah I need a quote on a 89 WRANGLER?

Thats why I put my snorkel on....To have stupid people like that ask me what it is.
I AM the TRUE poser
That is all.

applaudit.gif

Here's a pic of a guy that thought the snorkel was the best mod ever. Now he's rebuilding his engine.

IMG_1405.sized.jpg

IMG_1413.sized.jpg

IMG_1414.sized.jpg

IMG_1417.sized.jpg

IMG_1407.sized.jpg

A snorkel doesn't make your rig waterproof, so I have to agree that it's a poser mod.

It works for well and is useful for what it is... It HELPS with deeper water, performance, and looks sweet. It doesn't cure stupidity!!!

JeepinAudiophile said:
It works for well and is useful for what it is... It HELPS with deeper water, performance, and looks sweet. It doesn't cure stupidity!!!
I haven't noticed any help in the performance area. I do know I don't clean my air cleaner as much. I also know that deep water can cause so many more problems then just water in the intake. On my 89 the computer is under the dash which is lower then the stock air intake and they aren't water proof.
That being said...If I ever do dunk my jeep...which is a good posability...I have LESS to worry about. I would much rather pay for a computer then a moter and a computer.

Still a poser.

The way I figure it if you foresee yourself someday crossing some deep water or playing in some deep mud or whatever and want it for insurance, go for it. Saying if you're smart and drive good you won't need doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you use common sense and stay away from places you can't get through under your own power, you wouldn't need a winch. We could then call winches poser mods. :D But how many here have winches? Good driving and common sense says you don't need it, but it sure is handy ifyou find yourself in a situation where you do need it.

BlackSport96 said:
The way I figure it if you foresee yourself someday crossing some deep water or playing in some deep mud or whatever and want it for insurance, go for it. Saying if you're smart and drive good you won't need doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you use common sense and stay away from places you can't get through under your own power, you wouldn't need a winch. We could then call winches poser mods. :D But how many here have winches? Good driving and common sense says you don't need it, but it sure is handy ifyou find yourself in a situation where you do need it.
I have a winch and so far the only time I have really needed it is to pull other people out of trouble.
I am not afraid to admit that I bought it because I thought it looks cool. However its still something that might come in useful one day.

BlackSport96 said:

Now, that opens a whole new can of worms! We could go on and on about different mods! Very good thought!

I bought my ARB bumper incase I need it. I don't plan on running things over or having a car run smack into the front of me, but, that bumper saved my arse. Didn't do anything to my Jeep and smashed the whole front end of the 4runner that hit me. So, I feel, if you want it, and can afford it, do it, if you see yourself possibly needing it in the future. I would rather be safe than sorry, or, only replacing electrical than a whole motor.

Tylor

96country said:
Here's a pic of a guy that thought the snorkel was the best mod ever. Now he's rebuilding his engine.

IMG_1405.sized.jpg

IMG_1413.sized.jpg

IMG_1414.sized.jpg

IMG_1417.sized.jpg

IMG_1407.sized.jpg

A snorkel doesn't make your rig waterproof, so I have to agree that it's a poser mod.

actually it's funny you have pictures of this guy.i never personally wheeled with him but that hole he is being winch out of is a spot i ran every week in Jersey. i do know the story behind it though.it was installed incorrectly .and the intake tube leading from the snorkel to the air box became disconnected allowing water to go right from the fender well into the airbox.

i know several people that run snorkels .they do work when put on the right way.i have watched a jeep put the hood under easy and still come out with out a sputter.

and from the direction he is coming he all most made it

this shot shows what he would have gone thru to get were he was.
3488-1-04_213.jpg

it's long it gets deep and there is no way of knowing what ran through it the day before.the biggest thing around would be 40's and that can cause some major ruts even for somebody on 35's

thats just it,it was a sloppy install .just not done right and the hose came off . i know that is how you are supposed to run it .he just did a poor install of it not as clean as i would have tried to make it.just seems close to the wheel. i know the hole that did him in.like i said i ran it atleast once a week if not more.he is only on 31's maybe 32's .the time he went was right after that area of New Jersey had a flood .the pic from above is on a normal day during the time he went and did this it was a little deeper.the amount of water ripped it right out of the airbox.if he took his time and did it slowly i'm sure he would have been fine.

Wil Badger said:
thats just it,it was a sloppy install .just not done right and the hose came off . i know that is how you are supposed to run it .he just did a poor install of it not as clean as i would have tried to make it.just seems close to the wheel. i know the hole that did him in.like i said i ran it atleast once a week if not more.he is only on 31's maybe 32's .the time he went was right after that area of New Jersey had a flood .the pic from above is on a normal day during the time he went and did this it was a little deeper.the amount of water ripped it right out of the airbox.if he took his time and did it slowly i'm sure he would have been fine.
Gotcha...thats the worst thing about the design. If the hose isnt there its even a worse place for the water to get into.

Is that smoke from him throwing a rod threw the oil pan? cause thats what mine looked like when i had a rod go threw my oil pan. I found out howi got water in my engine so easily, and it was because ofthe dumnfucks at wallyworld. I ahd them change my oil and they changed the qir filter aswell. THey didnt put the air box on the correct way and water could easily get into the throttle body. It was stupid of me for not checking but damn, how hard is it to put it back on?? GRRRRRRRRRRRR. Now i have $2000 problem i gotta fix.

fisher446 said:
Is that smoke from him throwing a rod threw the oil pan? cause thats what mine looked like when i had a rod go threw my oil pan. I found out howi got water in my engine so easily, and it was because ofthe dumnfucks at wallyworld. I ahd them change my oil and they changed the qir filter aswell. THey didnt put the air box on the correct way and water could easily get into the throttle body. It was stupid of me for not checking but damn, how hard is it to put it back on?? GRRRRRRRRRRRR. Now i have $2000 problem i gotta fix.

Make it $5,000- say you did it on purpose so you would HAVE to buy that stroker you've been eyeing...You get a stroker, and a semi-permanent shit eating grin. .... one idea I had to getr the hose out of the wheel well was to have it come straight through the wheel well off the snorkel and into the engine bay(metal tubing)... when I get some time i'll try to fab it up on mine.

Don't hook your snorkel up like that, too close to the tire. The air tube that comes with the snorkel is pretty strong, but you could damage it with rocks thrown off of the tire. You could also puncture it with the flare screws (look at the pic) the way he has it on there.

I brought mine in at the top of the fender well, straight into the engine compartment. I got rid of the air box, because there are too many holes to keep sealed up if you don't. Then I made a connection fitting between the snorkel tube and the original rubber air hose into the throttle body. I used hose clamps to secure air hoses. I drillled and fit the breather into the adapter that I made. Right now the air filter is in the gate at the mouth of the snorkel (it's a heavy duty re-usable oiled foam filter outer, with a paper element beneath, both originally made for a lawn mower , I'll eventually hook up an air tube with filter like DPG's.

As for the rain, I turn the snorkel around when the weather is bad. I've had no problems with this set-up yet.

Greddy

JeepinAudiophile said:
Make it $5,000- say you did it on purpose so you would HAVE to buy that stroker you've been eyeing...You get a stroker, and a semi-permanent shit eating grin. .... one idea I had to getr the hose out of the wheel well was to have it come straight through the wheel well off the snorkel and into the engine bay(metal tubing)... when I get some time i'll try to fab it up on mine.

dont think i havent thought about stroking it, but at the moment id rather spend the money on my lift and tires. Maybe after the summer im gonna stroke it (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back