• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel

Is a snorkel worth the money?

• Yes

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • ???

Votes: 23 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
92jeeper said:
Very well spoken. I am with you here. If you stop, get out, get a pic to say, "See!! I'm a big boy in a water hole!" then, yeah, poser. I think, if you know how your rig works, and can work on it, and, use it for what it's made for, you're not a poser. So, since I have FarmerMatt's taillights, but, i don't go rock crawling, i am a poser there too? I mean, really, why would I need steel taillight housings? Hmm, maybe because i've busted out 3 taillights on trees! Living in FL provides wheeling different from everywhere else. Beezil, come on down and go wheeling with us here in FL. Then, i will be ok with you calling me a poser if you can stay with me through the trails we run

Tylor

got rock?

Beezil said:
got rock?

Nope. No rock. Woods

I do like your rig. I got the NAXJA DVD and watched ya get snagged on Hell's gate. Then, the other guy almost roll it. I'm not into rocks though.

Tylor

92jeeper said:
Nope. No rock. Woods

I do like your rig. I got the NAXJA DVD and watched ya get snagged on Hell's gate. Then, the other guy almost roll it. I'm not into rocks though.

Tylor

I might just come down there so I can bring home a bunch of alligator meat.
Alligator rocks.

Beezil said:
I might just come down there so I can bring home a bunch of alligator meat.
Alligator rocks.

I've got a 4 foot gator right outside my office in the pond. Come and get it. I'll get the pic of you wrestling it.

XJawgi said:
http://rustysoffroad.com/rigs/rigs_2.html

lets hear the opinions on that one..

What's the first thing you notice about the airbox? I think the airbox in the Cherokee is designed for more on road use. They located the hole behind the gril in an effort to have more airflow. On the other hand, that alos makes it run right behind the radiator and A/C condensor, which leads me to believe its a shit design. So, in this case, I think the under-the-windshield gril mod would be great. It's cheap, can't see it from the outside,a nd brings in cooler air, which in theroy should increase power. Also, I'm not sure about the physics on air, but if it's anything like water, having the intake right under the windshield should increase airflow since the wind circulates down when it hits the windshield, much like a low-head dam, if any of you boat. But then again, that's jsut my theory. You can make your own conclusions.

Poser or not if I decide to put one on my vehicle it will be there , My JEEP is to please me not Anyone else , LOL Main reason I dont bulid a Rock Crawler ..... Biggest rock arround here is stuck in the tread of my All Season Radial .. And a friend of mine sez my 235's are too big Told Him when he bought the stuff for my Jeep We will do it His way

Nienkysman said:
Poser or not if I decide to put one on my vehicle it will be there , My JEEP is to please me not Anyone else , LOL Main reason I dont bulid a Rock Crawler ..... Biggest rock arround here is stuck in the tread of my All Season Radial .. And a friend of mine sez my 235's are too big Told Him when he bought the stuff for my Jeep We will do it His way
I agree with your opening line.

Wow alot of red marks for wanting to build a jeep my way ??? My Ex-Wife must be on here !! First time Other than with Her I had been Reprimanded for Wanting people to do what makes them Happy BTW Why didnt You leave your Name ??? If I say You Do Good or Bad I am Man enough to let Yopu Know Who I am ---- YOU GO SISSY GIRL !!!!

1106436496_snotk.jpg

Homemade works as well as the $300 ones. If you run a snorkel, I would only hook up to the engine when you are in a situation when you need it, other times use your other breather.
You can talk about driving skills and not needing a snorkel but when you hung out in some deep sh*t you can beleive the guy coming to pull you out has a snorkel on.

I got one for free, so I had to put it on. Besides, you all know that the Liberty has the air intake routed to the rear hatch, although I think that's only on the ones that have the "Trail Rated" stickers.

I went for a ride last summer with the "Damn Locals" of Monteagle, TN. We camped out and after an all night rain, awoke to a flood. The creek we crossed the night before was now a river. I was the smallest rig, only on 35's. On the way out i dunked the hood under, luckily found a "rock" that pushed the front back up and slid the back end around into a hole. I had water about a foot from the roof in the back. When I looked in the rear-view-mirror I could see under water. Thankfully I had put not just one, but two of those "Most Difficult" stickers on each side of the Jeep. I didn't have a SNORKEL then, so I'm sure those stickers are what saved me. Just in case I rub one of those stickers off on a ROCK though, I thought a SNORKEL was in order. Luckily, a Yota friend of mine had a new XJ snorkel that he decided was too much of a poser mod for his Yota?... I think it was because it was for an XJ, and those Yota guy's are so envious of us Jeep guys. So anyway, I'm set for the next trip to the groccery store... I mean Montegle,TN.

I think they are worth it, although I wouldn't have bought one prob..., BUT it did add a little get-up-and-go (I got rid of the air-box), and with the window down, it sounds so damn cool when you "get-on-it"!! Ithink it has helped my sex life too. My wife REALLY LOVES MY XJ... AHH, NO I DON'T... (word from the MRS. looking over my shoulder) I like the puzzled looks when I drive about town too...

So you see there are so many plusses to it, not so many pusses with it... :gag:

Allright, enough already...P.S. this post is for the BEEZIL...

Greddy

xjaddiction said:
I got one for free, so I had to put it on. Besides, you all know that the Liberty has the air intake routed to the rear hatch, although I think that's only on the ones that have the "Trail Rated" stickers.

I went for a ride last summer with the "Damn Locals" of Monteagle, TN. We camped out and after an all night rain, awoke to a flood. The creek we crossed the night before was now a river. I was the smallest rig, only on 35's. On the way out i dunked the hood under, luckily found a "rock" that pushed the front back up and slid the back end around into a hole. I had water about a foot from the roof in the back. When I looked in the rear-view-mirror I could see under water. Thankfully I had put not just one, but two of those "Most Difficult" stickers on each side of the Jeep. I didn't have a SNORKEL then, so I'm sure those stickers are what saved me. Just in case I rub one of those stickers off on a ROCK though, I thought a SNORKEL was in order. Luckily, a Yota friend of mine had a new XJ snorkel that he decided was too much of a poser mod for his Yota?... I think it was because it was for an XJ, and those Yota guy's are so envious of us Jeep guys. So anyway, I'm set for the next trip to the groccery store... I mean Montegle,TN.

I think they are worth it, although I wouldn't have bought one prob..., BUT it did add a little get-up-and-go (I got rid of the air-box), and with the window down, it sounds so damn cool when you "get-on-it"!! Ithink it has helped my sex life too. My wife REALLY LOVES MY XJ... AHH, NO I DON'T... (word from the MRS. looking over my shoulder) I like the puzzled looks when I drive about town too...

So you see there are so many plusses to it, not so many pusses with it... :gag:

Allright, enough already...P.S. this post is for the BEEZIL...

Greddy

Besides... we do need XJ's with snorkels incase a tsunami ever hits. :skull1:

Call me a poser... fine- I don't care. My windows will NEVER see water. Hell, it'll hopefully never even be inside. I plan on staying away from water, but LOVE building up my jeep with my own hands. I use the snorkel for cold air intake and to compliment the rest of my intake and exhaust mods. here's a pic of my jeep w/ snorkel.... and a picture of why I need the extra power. (a 1968 24' Airstream that weighs in at 4,300 lbs.) It's worth buying... hell- I want another one for the other side.(yes they do make one... for the diesel option over seas)
5557PICT00071-med.JPG

5557Chads_Trailer_1968-med.jpg

Last edited:
xj-fx said:
Besides... we do need XJ's with snorkels incase a tsunami ever hits. :skull1:
Yeah....We had a huge Tsumami hit here in Utah once. After the stink Beezil has always made about having a snorkel I thought for sure I was just a poser. But by damned that snorkel kept my intake above that tsunami wave and Me and my jeep are here to tell about it today...

Sure glad I never have to worry about making excuses for why I buy stuff for my jeep anymore :laugh3:

DrMoab said:
Yeah....We had a huge Tsumami hit here in Utah once. After the stink Beezil has always made about having a snorkel I thought for sure I was just a poser. But by damned that snorkel kept my intake above that tsunami wave and Me and my jeep are here to tell about it today...

Sure glad I never have to worry about making excuses for why I buy stuff for my jeep anymore :laugh3:
They're great for storing cans of expandable foam and fresh fruits and veggies.

St3mpy said:
I'm not sure about the physics on air, but if it's anything like water, having the intake right under the windshield should increase airflow since the wind circulates down when it hits the windshield, much like a low-head dam, if any of you boat. But then again, that's jsut my theory. You can make your own conclusions.

This is correct logic.

There is a high pressure area at the root of windshield. This is why a lot of the muscle cars with cowl induction (that actually functioned) were set up this way - with the scoop at the back of the hood facing the windshield.

It's one of the few useful tidbits I still retain from fourth year fluid mechanics.

r@m

xj-fx said:
1106436496_snotk.jpg

Homemade works as well as the $300 ones. If you run a snorkel, I would only hook up to the engine when you are in a situation when you need it, other times use your other breather.
You can talk about driving skills and not needing a snorkel but when you hung out in some deep sh*t you can beleive the guy coming to pull you out has a snorkel on.

All's ya need is a disposal!

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned it.. but along with being ram air.. it's also NICE AND COLD vs. anything drawn from under the hood and most from under the cowl.

I only see positive things :)

But now.. if you're going to be that deep in shit.. I'm hoping like mad your door seals are good as well as the diff and T-case and anything on the engine itself are nice and sealed.

Amazing just how many places water/mud will get into!

cheers,
RowdyMan
98 Sport

Who cares if someone thinks this mod is a poser mod. If you spend the money on your truck and you take it wheeling, crawling, mudding, wheeling thru logging clear cuts, etc... then who cares. You aren't a poser. Just don't whine when it gets smashed. I have friends down in South America, Australia, Africa, and Malaysia. Some Drive Land Cruisers, or Rovers, Mogs, Gwagens... and many of them use Snorkels. I wouldn't call them posers either. Now me I have never used one. A poser is someone that pretends to be something they are not, or they don't have the ball balls to become. In the military we oftened called people like this Wannabees.

Rowdy... you are correct. Many of my friends that wheel hard and have the ARB Safari Snorkel claim to gain another 2-3mpg on the highway. And as stated before. This mod isnt just for water crossings. Many of the original factory snorkels have another attachment you add to the top in place of the scoop. It helps to filter out dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back