• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Site suggestion for finding used XJ's for sale in my area.

fishinpolejoe

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ isn't done yet at 300,000 miles, but I want to keep my eyes open for a good deal on another one.

I did some searching today but most of the vehicles listed were the newer Cherokees made by Fiat.

Does anyone have a good website that will point me in the right direction? Preferably something that will let me search vehicles for sale within a specific range of my zip code and exclude the new Cherokees.

Thanks!

Joe

Auto trader still around?

I use Craigslist also. You can search by year range, by mileage range, by price range...

OMG! Thank you guys so much! Craigslist is awesome. I'm finding lots of nice low mileage, nicely priced rigs close to home now. Hopefully I'll find another XJ here some time and not get burnt :greensmok

I'll check out Auto trader too when I get a chance.

Auto trader still around?

Yes it is for what it's worth. I tried to find a 97 - 99 4x4 and only found 5 within a 500 mile radius. Late model XJ prices are obscene, or, I'm a cheapskate.

There is also Recycler.Com too. It doesn't have that great of a sort feature, though.

Good luck with your hunt.

Late model XJ prices are obscene, or, I'm a cheapskate.

I got burnt on mine I believe. I'm finding nicer rigs than mine on craigslist with half the mileage for the same price as what I paid for my rust bucket.
The only thing mine had going for it was the engine had a top end rebuild and a tranny swap before I bought it.

After I drove it for a week or two I figured out the front brakes needed replaced pads/discs/calipers. It needed shocks all the way around (damn those rear shocks!) Had to replace the temp sensor and sending unit to fix the temp gauge. Found out water leaks in around the windshield. Summer hit and had to get a new water pump and fan clutch. Accidentally dumped a cooler full of water in the thing and figured out the floorboard was Swiss cheese. Had to pull the carpet and do some major patching and then made my own flooring out of this vinyl stuff. Overdrive stopped working. Then the blower motor cage spun off the shaft and had to find another motor. Winter hit and the alternator went bad. Winter snow wore out the axle u joints trying to deliver pizzas - had to get that fixed. Now I'm replacing the muffler and tail pipe because they are full of holes and it is ungodly loud.

I've replaced a handful of other things on it too. I haven't put all that much money into it but it has taken a lot of my time. The way I see it, I would have spent much more just on insurance for a newer vehicle than what I paid for and put into the XJ in the almost two years I've owned it.

It has only gotten 'stuck' once in the yard trying to get out to work in the snow. I just had to dig the back tires out. Things break or wear out but it always goes, always. I haven't called the tow truck for my XJ once. The 96 Ford Exploder with half the mileage of my XJ I owned for less than a year previously got towed six times. :shocked: That probably cost me more than all the work I've put into the XJ! Rollbacks for AWD vehicles are expensive!

Anyways, out of the many XJs I've looked at so far I like this one best.

2000 Sport 4.0 4WD Auto 132,000 miles - 3" lift on 33's - $4,000

https://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/5419182783.html

I think it would be worth it so long as it was in good shape.

00D0D_l8DUeLYPLVR_600x450.jpg

It would be nice to find a good XJ that didn't have a ton of problems right out of the gate like mine did. Too bad I'm not a jobless welfare king with five kids or I'd own this thing with my tax return.

That has "angry eyes" which makes me guess that it's not in "good shape". Then you can get into the roof rack, TJ flares, all the stickers ...

I would put that at about half the price asking.

That has "angry eyes" which makes me guess that it's not in "good shape". Then you can get into the roof rack, TJ flares, all the stickers ...

I would put that at about half the price asking.

Hmmm

Looks like when I get around to buying another one I'm going to need some experienced advice. I figured with the low mileage, the lift, and the lack of body damage or apparent rust that it would be worth that if it ran good.

I'm ashamed to say that I paid $3000 for my 96 sport with 253,000 miles. I was in a tight spot. Owning the Exploder for a year and having it towed and worked on every other month had drained my funds. My Ford Exploder lost oil pressure and gutted the engine a month after dumping $600 worth of work into the entire fuel system. My mechanic had it at his shop to inspect the damage. It was shot. He had the XJ that he was willing to get rid of and I hadn't been able to find anything else cheap. He offered me $300 for the Exploder, didn't charge me to inspect the engine, and offered the XJ for $3000. I test drove it and took it off road. The interior was all to hell and smelled of rat piss, but the Jeep seemed solid other than the shocks and brakes. When I got back to the garage I tried to talk him down due to the interior and the fact that it needed some work. He wouldn't budge. He swore he could easily get that much for it from someone wanting to build a crawler. Needing to get back to work, I accepted his offer like the sucker I am.

At least he did fix a lot of stuff for me. He put my fan clutch and water pump on for free, I just had to buy the parts. He charged me basically nothing to put a new alternator on a year after I bought it. Any time I had a problem I stopped by his garage and he helped me with it. He donated metal from wrecked cars for me to patch the floor with too.

I like my mechanic, he does good work, but he charged me way too much for my XJ.

I'll definitely be looking for help from someone who knows what they are doing when I go to buy another one.

I found mine on CL, only about 10min drive from my house. When using CL I skip all the filters, you'd be surprised how many people list as fwd (four wheel drive...fail), 4 cylinders (4 liter...fail) and so on. Like the one you posted, don't see a pic of the engine so it may be 4cyl, may not be. Mine was a well maintained stocker. The debate of buying stock vs modded is ages old and up to you to decide on. If you get one lifted make sure it's not the cheapest of cheap lifts and everything was done right, or you'll end up redoing it all later anyway. Again, that one is lifted obviously but no mention of brand. Take your time and look around, there are still clean ones out there that are affordable, you just have to look constantly and be prepared when the right one pops up.

I automatically pass on anything that has been modified when looking. As far as I am concerned, that is buying someone elses potential modification mistakes. I'd rather buy stock and do it up myself...

I automatically pass on anything that has been modified when looking. As far as I am concerned, that is buying someone elses potential modification mistakes. I'd rather buy stock and do it up myself...

100% agreed. The only exception would be if I was for some reason unable to do any of the work myself. Then I would be looking for one built with quality components and fully documented.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone.

I'll keep my eye out for a nice stock rig. It would be nice to find a nice stock Rough Country. For what I do, I don't need big tires which make it hard to stop or too much of a lift anyway. I was just disappointed when I slid out of the driveway into a snow drift in the yard and got stuck because I was buried up to the frame. Had good M/S tires and it would just sit there and hop.

Jay Sco - I was wondering why I saw so many listed as FWD :dunno:

Jay Sco - I was wondering why I saw so many listed as FWD :dunno:

Because the stupid is strong with a lot of people. There are threads on nearly every forum I've been on that are dedicated to CL idiocies and the list of common mistakes are endless.
On the bright side, once you get accustomed to CL speak, you can weed through the BS and find some very good deals.

Found our current 93 xj on cl, and since we had sold our car (to buy the xj) the guy delivered it... A 30 mile drive one way. Yeah I know. 30 miles ain't nothing. But since my girl talked him down from $2000 to $1400... That says something about the guy.
Since we've had it (pushing 3 years now) just done basic maintenance o it. Brakes on all four corners , one wheel cylinder , a tire had to reweld the drivers door hinges back on twice, and fluids (oil & trans fluid) . And it's only two wheel drive with a Chrysler 8.25 rear end.
Just in the past two days I've also replaced the turn signal switch (two hour job) and replaced the wiper motor and transmission ( a 15 minute job).

You can always find a deal on cl, and a lot more idiots on it too... Along with idiots that think their junk is made out of gold.

Back