• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Significant Oil Leak after new RMS

Update (Solved):

Hey everybody, it was the oil pan, not the new main seal. I bought a new pan gasket and redid it with a full bead of RTV on both sides of the gasket. Then I used the included pegs to install the gasket and then very carefully slipped the pan on last then let the RTV cure. I filled it back up with oil this evening and have now driven about 15 miles and it is no longer leaking. I'll keep putting miles on it and watching it but it's holding good so far. I just did a really crappy job installing the oil pan the first time. I've gotten spoiled using Felpro gaskets elsewhere with no RTV and didn't take it very seriously when they "recommended" it here. I put some small dabs on the corners but nothing like what should have been there. I can't see any reason now not to recommend others do a full bead too, but that's just me. Maybe it's not necessary. As I'm sure you all know, it also takes a lot of attention to keep the rear part of the gasket aligned properly, even with the pegs. I'm not sure I had that right either the first time. It's so good to have my Jeep healthy again. Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate the knowledge base here on NAXJA.

Glad you go it going again. Gasket maker in the 4 corners is all that's needed. Perhaps long term the RTV everywhere may help, but if you have to scrape it off everything, not going to be much fun.

Back