• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should PAYING Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Mid Atl. BOD?

Should PAYING Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Mid Atl. BOD?

• Yes

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Should PAYING Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Mid Atlantic BOD?

Once this is settled we can Nominate some potential BOD members, Vote, and develop some By-Laws.

Please only vote if you are in the Mid-Atlantic Chapter area.

Re: Should PAYING Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Mid Atl. BOD?

Yes I do. I would like to be in the running myself, after having put the time into getting this going. If they poll says otherwise... guess I'll just take one for the team.

Last edited:
Re: Should PAYING Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Mid Atl. BOD?

No, absolutely not. This is a club that needs people with experience that have been around for a while and that have learned the good and the bad about how and what happens on all levels.

If a member can get a nomination and a second they should be placed on the ballot regardless of their tenure. Use your vote in the election to rule them out if you don't think they are qualified.

Ghost said:
No, absolutely not. This is a club that needs people with experience that have been around for a while and that have learned the good and the bad about how and what happens on all levels.

Agreed. Not saying that members of less than one year don't know anything (as I can see Zac's point of view), but a member who's been around longer and seen what can go wrong would probably work better.

I say no

Either way, I'm still a Chapter Founding Father:D :moon:

No. Members with less than a year in the club are historically not going to renew. There are plenty of folks in the proposed chapter area that meet the criteria.

I say it's okay, but it is certainly a factor that should be considered during the nomination/election process. Maybe post count would be a better indicator (half-joking). Anyway, I'm glad to see this chapter get going. Northern VA is exactly right between two existing regions and isn't served well by having to choose the lesser of two suboptimal choices.

RedHeep said:
No. Members with less than a year in the club are historically not going to renew. There are plenty of folks in the proposed chapter area that meet the criteria.

You guys need to realy consider this when you vote on this. This is the trend of NAXJA that I have seen since I first joined in 01.

IMHO, as long as people have the freedom to vote for who they want, then the most qualified eprson who is able to articulate their dedication to the chapter will get elected. This doesn't equate to "time" always - let the voters decide.

I say no, unless for some reason there aren't enough qualified members that meet that criteria. I just payed up this month, although I have been on the forum since 06, and I wouldn't consider serving without more experience. However, if enough people feel differently then the by-laws should reflect their opinions.

uncc civilengineer said:
Should PAYING Members of less than 1 year be allowed to serve on the Mid Atlantic BOD?

That's a negative

I voted "yes" but only because I would hate to eliminate the possibility of electing the best candidate based on an arbitrarily chosen criteria. I would have a difficult time voting for someone who has not spent enough time around here for me to determine they have everyones' best interest in mind, but I don't feel that placing a specific time limit is the best way. It seems as though anyone who stood a chance to be elected would have had to sell themselves as the best candidate and that would almost necessitate having been around long enough to earn the respect and votes of the other members.

Shorty said:
I voted "yes" but only because I would hate to eliminate the possibility of electing the best candidate based on an arbitrarily chosen criteria. I would have a difficult time voting for someone who has not spent enough time around here for me to determine they have everyones' best interest in mind, but I don't feel that placing a specific time limit is the best way. It seems as though anyone who stood a chance to be elected would have had to sell themselves as the best candidate and that would almost necessitate having been around long enough to earn the respect and votes of the other members.

While I can see your point, I think the concern I would have is how the election plays out. Elections around here typically result in a popularity contest.

I think that everyone deserves a shot, but needs to understand the ramifications of "volunteering" for that position. That may or may not be best served by some sort of criteria that must be met prior to nomination.

I'm not here to sway anyone's opinion, simply trying to provide some insight on the subject.

RedHeep said:
While I can see your point, I think the concern I would have is how the election plays out. Elections around here typically result in a popularity contest.

I think that everyone deserves a shot, but needs to understand the ramifications of "volunteering" for that position. That may or may not be best served by some sort of criteria that must be met prior to nomination.

I'm not here to sway anyone's opinion, simply trying to provide some insight on the subject.

Not only that but over the years I have seen how much BS can go with the volunteering. I think Red would agree with me here and a new guy may not have the experience of how things work on a national level and the experience to get what needs to be done done.

As a brand new member, i just paid today, I do not have the experience on NAXJA dealing with the National level, but i do have a lot of other experience with other types of associations and boards.
Personally I don't have the time to spend to want to be a part of the BOD currently, but I think if someone does and has past experience they should not be unable to be nominated and run for one of the positions.

There are good reasons to allow it and good reasons not to allow it.

I voted yes (to allow Members with less than one year to run for Chapter office on the initial board) as I feel with a 'new' group having new leaders is good. Like Tim tlman says, let your vote decide based on folks qualifications and potential. Remember that all the chapter members have to be red-name paying Members.

After the Chapter is established, it may be wise to revert to the National bylaw-specified 1 year requirement... but if y'all feel it benefits to start it up with some -maybe not all- 'newer' folks on the job, I can't disagree.

I'd recommend electing the initial BOD to a one year term. Then & afterwards elect them for two year terms.

Something else to ponder... To elect a three or five member Board: Pres, VP, Secretary/Treasurer vs those as four Officer positions + one Director or 3+2 whatever seems to work best) The Chapter can't have less than three, but could have more than five... Five is good, three works if they all participate. KISS principle :dunno: That also could be changed as the Chapter evolves.

I can't promise to be involved much more than in a supporting role, but I'll be glad to share advice, and offer input.

Woody

How about putting an end date on this vote? Maybe Friday the 22nd at 11:59pm. That way people have a chance to vote, but this does not get dragged out for too long...Most people who care will hopefully vote. This is just a suggestion....

Back