• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i use structural adhesive to repair rocker.

deeeeetroitXJdude.

NAXJA Forum User
One of my rockers is rock hard in and outer rocker. One the outer rocks is rusted out.

The inner rocker has only minor surface rust. I want to sand blast this with my brothers sand blaster.

I am curious on the proper way to rust treat the inner surface of both the patch panel and the inner rocker.

I understand if i read correctly the structural adheisve needs to bond to bare metal, and i am not sure if i use enough adhesive, will this prevent rust creep.

My plan was to grind or wire wheel off a 1/2 " area where the two will contact, the rest i want to blast, prime with self etching primer, and maybe rattle can, or use some eastwood paint. Then liberally apply the 3M structural adhesive to the un-painted surfaces, and then rivet down the pannels with steel rivets.

The goal on the XJ i am fixing up is to fix a bit of surface rust on the roof from sitting in the sun since 1999. Its a 1995, and i never had a garage space for it.

Other than a pair of thumb sized flakes of paint off the roof, and a rocker that got filled with sand and rusted out it is rock hard. NO RUST.

I want to restore it, and turn it to summer daily driver. I am going to pull everything off the bottom from the fire wall back, blast it and paint it.

Put in a ford 8.8 with disk brakes, put on 33" tires, and get it repainted. Get all new rubber trim around windows doors, all new plastic cowl, hood insulation, new wiper arms, dooor handles, rubber pads under the rear wiper arm, under the rear door hinge, new door seals etc. everything.

I have new recaros for the front seats, i am going to get a custom rear seat covered to match, new headliner, etc.

I want to know if i repair this rocker will it last and can i expect the new paint job not to be impacted by a DIY repair.

you really on the right track man. all your thaught and conserns are spot on!
no need for rivits. seriously, simply tape it into place with some good body shop tape. i forget the term for it (dad knows) but if you starve the glue from air by taping it, the reaction will take place much faster and be much stronger in the long run. as far as rust, do your best. you have the concept right. if you follow the directions in the adhesive pack. (really read them or ull suffer) the seam should be much stronger than the metal itself.

now let the onslaught begin:kissyou:

Bronze.

Back