• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What not to do to fresh paint

Da XJ nut

NAXJA Member
I decided to spray my XJ with tractor low gloss paint. The very next day I had the bright idea to wet sand and buff the paint to get out the dust and orange peel texture. Bad idea. You're supposed to wait at least 2 weeks after you spray to ensure the paint is cured. Now I'm looking at shooting it again or just taking down a trail and saying screw it! Or do I camo it out military style
f2f4428b137b8fd197bd478a043890ce.jpg
e0185ce43b4f98d39c7b4c17d62d5a40.jpg
cd788830566be06edd7e2514a322345d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

I used Krylon Tractor and Implement Paint from the Tractor Supply Store near me. I bought low gloss black and it is single stage and cut it 3:1 ratio with Acetone as directed. The instruction also said roll or brush on. I sprayed it with my HVLP gun. The paint was supposed to cure for a week before I started the color sanding. It was only about 90 dollars worth of material used. It beats the rust that was coming through the primer. I was planning on keeping this a very low budget build due to my other long, on going project.

The pro is that nobody going to want to steal it.
The con is everybodys going to know that vehicle!

The pro is that nobody going to want to steal it.
The con is everybodys going to know that vehicle!

You're right about everyone going to know that vehicle. I've already had many people trying to buy it though. With me being a former Marine I wanted a more military look to it.

I would have guesses taking it out on a windy day; but yeah, buffing it out the next day will go on my list when I decide to respray. ;)

You're right about everyone going to know that vehicle. I've already had many people trying to buy it though. With me being a former Marine I wanted a more military look to it.

Thank you for your service! On another note, don't rob a bank in it.
:cheers:

ETA: Did you need a retarder because of the acetone?

Thank you for your service! On another note, don't rob a bank in it.
:cheers:

ETA: Did you need a retarder because of the acetone?
The instructions on the tractor paint didn't call for anything but the acetone to spray it. It was mixed 4:1 if I remember correctly. Just wait at least 3 days to cure before you wet sand it. I tried mine the next morning and it wasn't cured yet.

Back