• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shotgun, stock or no stock?

they were in a vehicle, you mentioned hunting.
The issue is not the safety, the shotgun should have been unloaded

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

I know very few people who use a mechanical safety, it is not a replacement for common sense.
Weapons safety rules I learned were:
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep you finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

yet it could be argued that you expected the round to go off at some point, and had taken precautions.

You do have a point, the rules are slightly different in a military/police role

Darky's closer to what I learned:
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded,
2. Never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep you finger straight and off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Unloaded? Where'd that come from? That almost makes me want to start a poll,....

The rules I posted are the NRA rules applies more to hunting/ range time than anything else

I use an Ithaca M37 12 ga. with a Choate side folding stock. I prefer the Ithaca because I can hold the trigger back and just keep pumping until it runs dry.

I NEVER fold the stock at home--I want to put that stock in my shoulder or lock it to my side with my arm. I keep it loaded with 2 3/4" 00 buck--stop means STOP!

Now, pluses of the Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip--good, dependable design and its lightweight.

Now, downside of the Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip--its lightweight.

Using just a pistol grip it will be damn near uncontrollable using any heavy loads.

I am 6'4" and North of 300 lbs--get the idea?

That Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip might be Ok with some 2 3/4" No. 8/9 light target loads, but you would be insane to use 2 3/4" or 3" buckshot or slugs. You might be able to keep it from knocking you in the forehead with the front bead if you used a pistol-grip forend.

I have shot cowboy action shooting with a 12 ga. 18 1/2" barrel coachgun alternating with No. 6 and No. 8 shot. Put 2 3/4" 00 buck in that coachgun and its a mean bear to hang onto--with a full stock.

Get the full stock with pistol grip or a side folder.

I'm with Joe on this. My HD gun is a mossberg 500 18.5" with a pistol grip side folder. The stock is always extended, unless I'm transporting it somewhere, in which case the folder is handy for stuffing it into a bag or something and hiding it behind the seat in the MJ.

There's no practical reason to have one with no stock, shooting with the stock will make you more accurate, have quicker follow up shots and make it harder to take the weapon from you. Not to mention that if someone needs to use it other than you the stock will make it much easier for someone unfamiliar to put lead on target.

P.S. Joe, I' keep forgetting about your diff cover. I'll get it in the mail before the holiday. I'm going to write myself a note on my hand right now.

Last edited:
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

I don't use safeties, they are mechanical and can fail. The only safety is the one between your ears. My carry gun has a decocker that's useful because it cams the firing pin over so a drop cannot accidentally discharge, but my shotgun lives next to my bed, round chambered, safety off. It's one of the perks to not having children.

I don't use safeties, they are mechanical and can fail. The only safety is the one between your ears. My carry gun has a decocker that's useful because it cams the firing pin over so a drop cannot accidentally discharge, but my shotgun lives next to my bed, round chambered, safety off. It's one of the perks to not having children.

That's only because your safety is too hard to get to quickly with a pistol grip installed. :shhh:

/never understood the point of a pistol-gripped stock on a Mossberg

That's only because your safety is too hard to get to quickly with a pistol grip installed. :shhh:

/never understood the point of a pistol-gripped stock on a Mossberg

I can reach it just fine, I just don't have a need for it.

pistol grip makes it easier for my wife to control w/ heavy buckshot loads, without she had a tendency to not pull it all the way into her shoulder, which made it painful to shoot, which leads to her not wanting to shoot. After the pistol grip it's her favortie gun.

I was cool with the factory stock, but anything to encourage my wife to like guns gets done.

pistol grip makes it easier for my wife to control w/ heavy buckshot loads, without she had a tendency to not pull it all the way into her shoulder, which made it painful to shoot, which leads to her not wanting to shoot. After the pistol grip it's her favortie gun.

I was cool with the factory stock, but anything to encourage my wife to like guns gets done.

She'd probably like our custom Remington 1100 20ga home defense guns. ;)

Did you paint it pink like her AK? :D

No point having an unloaded gun around. Only time my guns don't have rounds in em is between reloads and during cleaning... they're hot all other times.

You ain't right! :D

So this has caught my eye recently. A few guys are saying it's way over priced for just the color treatment but I dig it ha.

Looks neat and all...but do you really need a door breaching tool?

Food for thought:

If presented with a home defense situation, would you rather have THAT shown to a jury of ignorant peers...or this? http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-combos.aspx

An attorney could really make use of that 'tactical' and 'recon' and the pointy junk on the muzzle to make you look like some sorta combat killer. Just sayin'... Law says one thing, reality and civil courts are a completely different matter. :)

Ah, yes! The ugly gun crime.
It was black, and had a pistol grip, and big plastic things on it,... Which proves you were out looking for a fight(in your bedroom,..)

Sorry as it is, it's a real possibility that something like that will come up if you ever have to use a gun.

I've read from a couple different sources that your home defense guns should look like wall hangers; high end wood stocks, high polish blued finishes, engraving, etc. A gun that looks more like a heirloom then a entry gun.

Looks neat and all...but do you really need a door breaching tool?

Food for thought:

If presented with a home defense situation, would you rather have THAT shown to a jury of ignorant peers...or this? http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-combos.aspx

An attorney could really make use of that 'tactical' and 'recon' and the pointy junk on the muzzle to make you look like some sorta combat killer. Just sayin'... Law says one thing, reality and civil courts are a completely different matter. :)

If I were to get convicted by the color of the gun I think I would have stood no chance in the first place...

Could argue it came that way from the factory, nothing is an "add-on" and the camo was used for hunting. :angel: I see a lot of turkey guns with the word Tactical stuck on them even anymore.

I do hear what're saying though, I can't help but be drawn towards the cool looking stuff though sigh. They do offer the same shotgun in a grey finish...

My "home defense" gun is a Stevens 311A that's been in the family longer than I have. It's not pretty; it is not used in the same sentence with words like tactical, mil spec, and picatinny, but it shoots when I pull the trigger. I'm not planning on raiding crack houses; while the "tactical" guns look cool, I don't see how they'd be particularly useful in a HD situation.

My "home defense" gun is a Stevens 311A that's been in the family longer than I have. It's not pretty; it is not used in the same sentence with words like tactical, mil spec, and picatinny, but it shoots when I pull the trigger. I'm not planning on raiding crack houses; while the "tactical" guns look cool, I don't see how they'd be particularly useful in a HD situation.

Well, I have the money to spend and I want to own something I enjoy. Same reason I daily drive my XJ...

So this has caught my eye recently. A few guys are saying it's way over priced for just the color treatment but I dig it ha.

Cool Breech gun but I think you should go with the bayonet to reinforce your coolness.

100_0517.jpg

nice 590A1

Back