• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shotgun, stock or no stock?

Just I've never fired a pistol grip without a stock. I've fired traditional shotguns from the hip before. I don't know anyone with that particular shotgun that would allow me to go shoot it.
Do you have a gun shop with a shooting range near you? If not, drive up to the Scottsdale Gun Club, off 101 at Raintree: (Link to Scottsdale gun club web site) they can probably rent you one(might want to call 'em first, to confirm, but they probably do, they rent out everything else, up to the M-60)
...,once a month, we do defensive shotgun scenarios. my mossberg 500 fires every time, but on the 2 different 870's I have used, I have managed to cycle it too fast for the shell to load,...
Probably "short-stroking" the -870. I've managed to do that once (interestingly, at an IDPA shotgun match) but never had a problem when shooting clay doubles or pairs.

I use an Ithaca M37 12 ga. with a Choate side folding stock. I prefer the Ithaca because I can hold the trigger back and just keep pumping until it runs dry.

How do you like the ithaca? I am looking at picking one up for around $300 used and plan on using it for home defense and maybe some skeet shooting. I have done alot of research on them and they seem to be a well made, good quality shot gun. This will be my first fire-arm purchase (but I have shot many times before) and just want to make sure it is a good one. It is from a friend so I will be firing it before buying it.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack...

I've fired plenty of 12 gauge and like I said I have a beast of a rifle in 7.62x54r that is well known as the shoulder buster. Just I've never fired a pistol grip without a stock. I've fired traditional shotguns from the hip before. I don't know anyone with that particular shotgun that would allow me to go shoot it.

If your criteria for a home defense shotgun is to be able to shoot from the hip. I HIGHLY recommend taking a class.

I've fired plenty of 12 gauge and like I said I have a beast of a rifle in 7.62x54r that is well known as the shoulder buster. Just I've never fired a pistol grip without a stock. I've fired traditional shotguns from the hip before. I don't know anyone with that particular shotgun that would allow me to go shoot it.

If your criteria for a home defense shotgun is to be able to shoot from the hip. I HIGHLY recommend taking a class.

If you have the money, a 590 is a bit nicer than the 500, however there is nothing wrong with the 500

I have to disagree
I shoot IDPA, and once a month, we do defensive shotgun scenarios. my mossberg 500 fires every time, but on the 2 different 870's I have used, I have managed to cycle it too fast for the shell to load on multiple occasions. Probably just a weak mag spring, but the mossberg I have is older than I am, all original, and it never has had an issue.

See, if we are talking like that, The older model vs. New model is no comparison. It seems like the older ones were made a lot better than they are now! My Remington 700 was built in 93 i believe and it doesn't have any of the problems these newer ones have.

I'm a fan of the M500 series my shotgun experience is limited to the 870 and the 500 but I've trained on the 500 for 7 years and instructed it for 2. The M500 is ergonomically more efficient. Some people may be able to work with the 870 but the 500's action release and safety are way better placed.

I've also never had a malfunction with it.

My Remington 700 was built in 93 i believe and it doesn't have any of the problems these newer ones have.

Dunno when we started talkin about rifles, but... wtf are you talking about?
The Rem700 has MAJOR issues. The newish 'X-Mark Pro' 700s fix the issue, but the other 90% of them don't. Basically, the mechanism that makes the trigger pull so smooth and easy has a tendency to get dislodged from where it should sit, and when that happens it can fire without the trigger being pulled just by hitting it... in many cases by just turning the safety off (like to unlock the bolt to remove a round).
So I dunno what you're talking about the older 700s not having any problems...

Dunno when we started talkin about rifles, but... wtf are you talking about?
The Rem700 has MAJOR issues. The newish 'X-Mark Pro' 700s fix the issue, but the other 90% of them don't. Basically, the mechanism that makes the trigger pull so smooth and easy has a tendency to get dislodged from where it should sit, and when that happens it can fire without the trigger being pulled just by hitting it... in many cases by just turning the safety off (like to unlock the bolt to remove a round).
So I dunno what you're talking about the older 700s not having any problems...

Well, I heard something different than you did. :dunno: My gun has had no issues whatsoever. I started talking about rifles when Jeepman401 mentioned Rem's being unreliable, the 700 is the only remington I have. Thats why i was talking about rifles!

Now........Back to our regularly scheduled program! :D

The M500 is ergonomically more efficient. Some people may be able to work with the 870 but the 500's action release and safety are way better placed.
X2 this. If I didn't already own all the shotguns I need, the 500/590 would be at/near the top of the list.

What stupid-a** engineer came up with the idea of putting the safety in the rear tang of the trigger guard? The easiest(and stupidest) way to engage the safety on an -870 is to slip you finger through the trigger guard, past the trigger, and push the safety with the tip of your trigger finger, while avoiding pressing on the trigger.

X2 this. If I didn't already own all the shotguns I need, the 500/590 would be at/near the top of the list.

What stupid-a** engineer came up with the idea of putting the safety in the rear tang of the trigger guard? The easiest(and stupidest) way to engage the safety on an -870 is to slip you finger through the trigger guard, past the trigger, and push the safety with the tip of your trigger finger, while avoiding pressing on the trigger.

I've engaged mine thousands of times by going under the trigger guard. Never thought twice about it... Booger-hook doesn't go inside the guard unless it's pressing the bang-switch.

Where the safety is located doesn't matter as much as using it. It's not a good idea to depend on the safety, but always use it. Get used to taking it off as you bring the gun to your shoulder. It takes a little practice but soon becomes automatic. Doing everything to prevent an accidental discharge is all part of safe gun handling practices. I've been witness to several cases of accidental discharge in the field. Luckily, no one has been hurt as a result. A couple of vehicles weren't so lucky. One shot went through the floor board and another through the back window. Another sent a charge of shot right between two people. I don't hunt with those people any more. Carelessness in gun handling is inexcusable.

Well, I heard something different than you did. :dunno: My gun has had no issues whatsoever. I started talking about rifles when Jeepman401 mentioned Rem's being unreliable, the 700 is the only remington I have. Thats why i was talking about rifles!
I have only really had experience with the 870. Between IDPA, and working the trap range at the national scout jamboree this summer, my opinion of them is not high.
I agree, horrible placement of it.
Doing everything to prevent an accidental discharge is all part of safe gun handling practices. I've been witness to several cases of accidental discharge in the field. Luckily, no one has been hurt as a result. A couple of vehicles weren't so lucky. One shot went through the floor board and another through the back window. Another sent a charge of shot right between two people. I don't hunt with those people any more. Carelessness in gun handling is inexcusable.
Bullshit, there is no such thing as a "accidental" discharge

they were in a vehicle, you mentioned hunting.
The issue is not the safety, the shotgun should have been unloaded

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

I know very few people who use a mechanical safety, it is not a replacement for common sense.

99.5 percent of unintended weapon discharges are "negligent" and not "accidental". The remaining 0.5 percent are due to weapon malfunctions that are the result of broken or worn sears.

That is my opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion.

and as long as other rules were being followed, there is never an issue.

and as long as other rules were being followed, there is never an issue.

Really? never say never, rounds don't cookoff either.

This thread got derailed a bit.

round goes off for some accidental reason, if it was pointed in a safe direction, its not an issue. if there is no safe direction, why is there a round in the gun? I said if all other rules were followed. If someone gets injured, it can usually be traced back to something being done wrong

you are right though, we are way off course

why is there a round in the gun?

Why do you ever put a round in a gun? :) On mission our weapons were red/black.

round goes off for some accidental reason, if it was pointed in a safe direction, its not an issue.

Not an issue right, but still accidental and still a discharge making it aaaaa.......

Back