• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shot Gun Advice From So Cal

Camping350

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at getting my first 12 gauge shot gun. Looking for recommendations on brand length and why or why not auto vs pump. I will probably just use for shooting clays. Price under $500. been looking at Weatherby, Remington and Bennili.

Mossberg 500 or 590 pending the overall size you want/like. Very similar to the 870 from Rem. But parts/upgrades are FAR cheaper. Very reliable gun.

Mossberg 500 or 590 pending the overall size you want/like. Very similar to the 870 from Rem. But parts/upgrades are FAR cheaper. Very reliable gun.

Nope.
Do just a little searching to compare the two. By far, the 870 express is your best bet to start with. Home defense, clays(trap,skeet), bird, rabbits, coyotes, turkey, ducks, geese, deer, bear, pig, mountain lion, zombie, human, is all fine with this gun.
Remington 870 express ....for the win.
I teach shotgun defense and sport shooting. 8 years now, and the 870 is by far the best overall for under 500. Mossbergs are always going to the smith for small repairs. Novas and super black eagles are nice, but the novas wear out and get sloppy, and the eagles are 1400 bucks to start with. 870's do jam within the first few hundred rounds, but they break in nice.
Barrel lenngth to start with, 28".

Last edited:
First shotgun for clays?
the single shot break action that big 5 carries for $120 will get you shooting, and give you time to see what you want to get next.

I like my side by side, but just shot with some other guys a couple weeks ago. There were pumps, an auto, and break actions. All nice clay breakers, it just comes down to preferance.

The Rem 870 Express is a great gun. Famous for its reliability. I bought one for my son when he was 13. But, personally, I like the ease of an auto loader. I have a Rem 11-87 Super Magnum that I use for everything and highly recommend. My only complaint is that it has never successfully cycled 3 1/2 inch shells, which it is supposed to. But I've never encountered a turkey that couldn't be put down with a 3 inch shell, so I live with it.

Thanks keep the chat coming. I am not new to guns just never owned a shotgun. Have shot them along time ago. Saw you guys at Goatfest shooting makes me we want to purchase one if I have someone to go shoot with.

Remington 870. You will have that gun forever.

Do any of you have a favorite gun shop. The last guns I purchased back in the nineties before kids, lol, I got from B & E guns in Cypress.

didnt the mid 80s remington 870s have a bad problem with exploding? not really exploding but i really remember they had some kind of shot came out of the breach not in the right way issue... immma research

Do any of you have a favorite gun shop. The last guns I purchased back in the nineties before kids, lol, I got from B & E guns in Cypress.

Turner's, Fowler's The Stockade for Orange County, I've heard unfavorable reviews of the customer service at BPS.

and the mossberg 500 i bought from big 5 from the day i bought it gave me trouble jammed all the time barrel didnt like being changed out either a few friends had the same problem and another friend has an older on from the stockade and has no problem at all with it

Stoeger coach gun.

-Costs about $300-400.00
-12 ga or 20 ga
-side by side 20" barrel
-internal hammer
-double trigger
-walnut stocks
-available in blued or stainless finish
-Breaks down into 3 pieces - stock, barrels, foregrip. VERY easy to transport.

Shoots buckshot(great for 25-50 yard woody/scrubby deer hunts), birdshot (Excellent dove gun), and slugs (excellent bear repellent)

As for a pump action - I had an 870 express for 10 years. It absolutely never had a single hiccup in what must have been thousands of rounds. Lately 870's have been having quality control issues, but honestly, it wouldn't sway me from getting one. Then again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used 1980s-early 2000's 870, either.

Have fun shopping.

Field time is awesome. High prices, but incredible service. I was in there eyeballing a pistol, and my son was loving the 15-22 in in Pink, and said we need to get it for mommy. the salesman actually let my son hold it and work the trigger/slide while I fondled a couple guns.
Walked out 10 days later with that 15-22, and the m/p 45. They are great people there.

Back