• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short intro and question

Latest information from EasternSierra 4wd club...
Local member declined at this time due to risk factor.
Inyo County Dept. of Roads: 760-878-0201; ask for Bob Brown.
Millers Towing: 760-876-4600, viable but expensive.

Latest information from EasternSierra 4wd club...
Local member declined at this time due to risk factor.
Inyo County Dept. of Roads: 760-878-0201; ask for Bob Brown.
Millers Towing: 760-876-4600, viable but expensive.

Whats expensive? I know Johnny offered up help (this weekend). Just curious what a tow yard would charge to get you out.....

Do you have tow points on the front of your subi?

That's probably not a tow point, but a securing point for tying the car down on a ship or car transport.

Both my VW and my moms Volvo both have screw in tow points in the front.

yup, those screw in jobs are actually tough enough to get towed with. I worked at a bimmer, porsche, and mercedes shop that also saw some audi's every once in a while and they were always tugged on and off the tow rigs with those hidden bumper hooks.

I don't know how well they'd hold up to a kinetic tug, but a winch would be just fine, fo sho.

yup, those screw in jobs are actually tough enough to get towed with. I worked at a bimmer, porsche, and mercedes shop that also saw some audi's every once in a while and they were always tugged on and off the tow rigs with those hidden bumper hooks.

I don't know how well they'd hold up to a kinetic tug, but a winch would be just fine, fo sho.
Yup, They worked for both our cars going onto flat beds. probably a slow and steady tug would be fine.

call your insurance tell them what happened and let them deal with it! thats what you pay them for and any damage would be on thier plate!

Since you guys have been so helpful, here's an update. We went up and shoveled for two days and we have the Subie halfway down and through the deepest snow. Temps have been really low and snow in the shade wasn't very well consolidated yet (no melt-freeze); those were the toughest section.

We had a Jeep come up on Sunday but he didn't get very far since the bottom portion of the road is icier and pretty steep. We figured we'll be able to shovel it out over one more weekend (unless there's a really big snow dump). If anyone feels like tearing up the road a bit more in the meantime, feel free to do so :D. Then we could probably drive out without shoveling.

I'll post some pics later.

call your insurance tell them what happened and let them deal with it! thats what you pay them for and any damage would be on thier plate!

We called them but they couldn't authorize the tow till after the fact. A little too risky having to pay big $$ out of pocket and possibly not getting reimbursed. My friend and I are very fit, so we can shovel it out and it's practically free :)

hmm. too bad i'm out of town all last week and next week. this would have been fun. ;)

Probably about the same and more higher up. How much did you end up getting in Ridgecrest?

Temps should be in the low 40s at 6500 feet and sunny the rest of the week; that should be enough to get rid of the new snow and maybe some more. That stretch of the road gets good sun exposure through mid afternoon.

I'm 70 miles south and 4500 ft lower. We just had a bunch of snow last 24 hrs...most in several years. Dunno how Lone Pine made out.

Back