• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shaving door locks after break in

GSequoia said:
What's up with the lights on top pointed everywhere! :D

A tree adjusted one of them, I just hadn't readjusted it. The others are pointing where the belong. the middle two are trapezoidal beams the shine to just either side of what the headlights cover. The outer two are flood light beams and cover from the Traps area to over 90 Deg straight out the sides. I also have one under the XJ to light where the rear tire is going. One that is mounted on a magnet that I put just under the cup holder on the side to really light things for where the front tire is going. You should see what happens when I put it in reverse! LOL

Daryl

It may have some of a deturant to theives. All depends on the thief. To brake a window cause more noise and attracts more attention then maybe removing a door lock would. So if they are determined it wouldn't stop them but it may if they are looking for a quick easy score.

ths Jeep is basicly my nice / trail Jeep. wierd to have those two in the same sentence, but it's a '99 and I won't be removing doors or cutting the top ot shaving HANDELS. I drive it on the trail and get out about a hundred times in a day and not to mention Jeep Jambo trail leading. shaved handels would not be the place on a Jeep.

I just wanted to shave the locks off and use my keyless entry. Sounds like the insurance will be picking up the bill as well. I already have a replacement stereo (detach face this time/ Alpine instead of Sony) I will have an alarm installed. and looks like I should get some cash out of the deal if I have the guy at Maaco shave it.

The guy said he would basicly cover it and get paint close. It's all I care about. after all it's gonna get scratched or layed up aginst a tree. I just can't drive around with a hole in my Jeep.

Thanks guys for the input. I will be driving my beater XJ around town alot more now. I will get back if you guys want to know the outcome...

Join the club man, I just had 800$ worth of stereo shit stolen out of my jeep in my driveway which is 20 feet from my house. They broke the little window in my drivers back door and reached in and unlocked my doors. The next day I put in an alarm and I feel way more comfortable. Mine was only 100$ and it has tons of features. Way cheaper than shaving your doorlocks and I don't think that would keep the thieves away.

Ya cant beat the $40 CD player I got at Best Buys, It sounds good, looks good, i dont think anybody will want to steel and if they do it was only $40...not $800 ;) :D

Well Well, finally a topic in which i know someting... I am a 12 volt installer, so i see the messed up dashes that happen when radios get stolen:pirate1:. I invested in a 2-way security system... it actually beeps and vibrates on my remote if my Xj gets touched, etc. I also have it so if i leave the windows open and someones set the alarm off, or reach into the vehicle the windows will close. If you plan on being within close proximity to your vehicle (1/4 mile with the Viper system and 1 1/4 on the Compustar Spread Spectrum) that is the way to go. I am trying to get my system all together so i can install it, so i got the best of the best ahead of time. By the way, if anyone is in the massachusetts area and needs one put in the right way(all soldered wires) I'd be more than willing to hook XJers up for a fair price, maybe even in trade for a little training? (I could use a lot of help when it comes to learning about even the basics of XJ upkeep):helpme: Jumping back, the removeable faceplate is a good choice. once again i'm excited to be able to contribute to a thread that is down my alley.

86XJ said:
i know how you feel. about a year and a half ago, my stereo was stolen out of my jeep and i had an alarm put on it, and now i just want it off, i don't like it on the jeep. plus my jeep is turning into more of a trail only vehicle. just get a stereo where the face comes off and get in the habit of taking it off. and if u have any other cool stuff like an amp or subs, do your best to hide them. i put my amps under the seat. subs are kinda tough. jsut my .02 cents.
joe

Well to hide my two 15's i just tinted all the windows to 5% on top of the stock tints so u can't see a THING looking in. As far as the door handle issue... i recommend gettin some poppers, not cheap but will def be cool to press a button on ur remote and watch the door open!!

JP recently had an article on this issue. They interviewed a couple ex car thieves. Interesting read, couldn't find it on the JP website :( .

Have you shaved them yet? If not here's another idea. Make a dummy lock so that they can be popped out without the need for excessive prying. So that no damage is done when this happens.

Now for the tricky part.

A. Find some way to block off the rest of the door handle levers and actuators inside the door, so that it can't be reached thru the hole where the dummy lock was.

B. Rig up a pepper spay inside the door so that it sprays out when the dummy lock is removed. (might be a law suit involved with that.)

Just a thought.

Daryl

Don't know how bad the winters get in your area but that may be another consideration. I've done a couple shaved door handle jobs, 1 on a show only car and the other a daily driver(pickup). It was cool right up until his door was frozen shut a little bit, just enough so the popper wouldn't push it out. Happened more than once too, but hey it looked cool!

Something else you may want to address is what would you do if you had a dead battery? On the pickup I used a hidden manual cable release. But on the car I used the cable release as well as a battery backup. The battery backup was part of the custom alarm system to provide just enough juice to power the alarm, but also supply power to the remote entry in event of a dead main battery.

JEONLYEP said:
B. Rig up a pepper spay inside the door so that it sprays out when the dummy lock is removed. (might be a law suit involved with that.)

Just a thought.

Daryl

There used to be an alarm add-on that would fill the car with odorless smoke when the alarm went off. Wasn't very popular, especially when the firemen pulled up, smashed out the windows and hosed the sucker down. There are small interior mounted sirens (about 2" square) called pain generators, they are not pleasant at all.

AJsArmor said:
It was cool right up until his door was frozen shut a little bit, just enough so the popper wouldn't push it out. Happened more than once too, but hey it looked cool!

He wasn't going to remove the handles, just the locks. So I'm thinking that ice wouldn't be anymore of a problem then before. So long as the ice doesn't form on the electric lock inside the door he'll be okay. And he said that if power wasn't there to unlock the door he'll still have the hatch, so as not to be locked out.

Daryl

AJsArmor said:
There are small interior mounted sirens (about 2" square) called pain generators, they are not pleasant at all.

Tell me about it, I had 3 in my T-bird no one wanted to spend any time in there if the alarm was going off.

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
He wasn't going to remove the handles, just the locks. So I'm thinking that ice wouldn't be anymore of a problem then before. So long as the ice doesn't form on the electric lock inside the door he'll be okay. And he said that if power wasn't there to unlock the door he'll still have the hatch, so as not to be locked out.

Daryl
Ahaaa.... but of course then the weak point is the hatch. All the locks on the XJ are a joke at best. Really not much a guy can do to keep a theif out, if they want in, they'll get there...alarm or not.

mission-inc said:
Join the NRA and get a sticker. Stick it to your windows. Theifs (probably) wouldn't dick with anyone in the NRA.

On that note;

I got the free "North american Hunting Club" membership packet that included decals for free. i slapped one of those baby's on the rear of my old stock DD and left her unlocked constantly(pwr locks broken, too much of a hassle to lock 4 dr manually) One night in my apt parking lot the rigs on both sides of me had the windows busted out mine was unlocked and untouched and had a radar detector and CB in addition to my stereo. Between my CB and that hunting club i guess being a PROBABLE GUN OWNER kept the ghetto follk at aby.
Next to a faux led these stickers are the best insurance for the buck.

Actually if I was a crook Id look for the NRA stickers etc, cuz it means there is probably a gun in there I could steal.

Also popping the lock is a very crude way of getting in, anyone worth their salt can get in around the door with the proper tool in less than 10 seconds any way. The tool actually goes around the outside edge of teh door and hits the power door lock button. You can buy it at many autoparts stores.

Back