• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Semper Fi

Fergie said:
Maybe more to the point....what is the current motivation of our government to continue military action? Remove Sadam, Zarqawi....what?

Fergie

We're America. We don't need a reason.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Ferg.

I've never lost any close friends in war but being only 16 I assume I will in the next few years. It sucks when anybody close to you dies and I know it never makes ya feel better but, he died fighting for his country. RIP. :us:

CollinM said:
I've never lost any close friends in war but being only 16 I assume I will in the next few years. It sucks when anybody close to you dies and I know it never makes ya feel better but, he died fighting for his country. RIP. :us:
Actually, it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing he died fighting....he wouldnt have wanted it any other way.

Fergie

Marty may have died fighting for his country, but more importantly, he died trying to free a nation forever. That is brave. RIP Marine. Jeff

This is a quote from another forum I'm a member @...
Listened to a most intruiging discussion yesterday.
On CSPAN,

The Newspaper Editors of America had several guest speakers, among whom was the Editor-in-Chief of Al Jazeera Television. During a question and answer period, he was asked about attitudes of Arab people towards the USA........

He began his answer with a background of Arab perceptions, long-held, and largely stereotypal, which stem, not from information, but from what they have been taught before the Age of Information, the Internet, etc.

However, he went on to say that the entire Arab world is NOW in a state of flux, in shock, and still trying to understand, and process, the elections in Iraq. He was quite honest, and very direct. He said, among other things that,

"We have elections in the Arab world all the time, and they mean nothing. Egypt holds elections and Mubarak gets 98% of the vote. The Palestinians hold elections and Arafat gets 98% of the vote. Iraq holds elections, and Sadaam gets 98% of the vote. Elections are nothing new here, but they mean nothing, so no one really paid any attention to this last election in Iraq.........until the results of the election were made public".

"Frankly, the Arab world was stunned. Al Jaharwie, the Interim President, put in power by the Unites States, not only lost, he came in a distant third. It was unprecedented in the Arab world".

He went on to say that

"...the images of millions of Iraqui people going to vote in the face of bombings and shootings and murders, and those pictures of voters holding up ink-stained fingers in defiance burned themselves into the Arab mind all over the Middle East."

"Then the people of Lebanon rose up and overthrew the government and forced Syria to withdraw from their country. And we saw the President of the United States, demanding their immediate withdrawal."

"Suddenly we have many new ideas to process, and most Arabs haven't fully digested this new reality we have before us. We really had no idea what "democracy" was, and many Arabs are now saying, explain this democracy to me. How does it work"?

He laughed and said, "I watched your presidential elections. In Egypt Mubarak gets 98% of the vote on a routine basis. George Bush gets 51% and your people call it a landslide".

"We are now really taking a long hard look at the world around us, and the United States".

As an aside, he went on to say that Al Jazeera plans on starting an English version of their television station.

Could we imply that change is in the wind?

I'm not trying to start a debate...just pointing out that Marty's contributions have made a difference, and the value of our being there.

Condolences to LCpl Mortenson's friedns and family, and a big OORAH! to another fine warrior.

My Grandfather was Navy - WWII
My Father was a Marine - Vietnam
I was Navy - First Iraq War - USS Enterprise

We have a proud tradition of Service in My Family...

I want you to know that your friend is with all of the GREAT Marines and others who died for us and is doing just fine... I know it hurts bad, but it hurts because he was a great person ( even with any flaws we all have). He is a member of a proud family and will never be forgotten... Once a Marine, Always a Marine - even in death... you can be sad, but be just as proud.

I believe that in time, everyone fighting right now will be looked back on as people who made a real difference. There will be generations of Iraqi's that will be forever thankful for what is going on right now... Soldiers hate war the most, but understand that sometimes it is a must and they are standing that line for us and the Iraqies :us: (whether you think it was a must or not, we are there and our soldiers will do their duty - and do it well)

Im not a praying man - But I will send all of the good will and Karma for you and his family... :tear:

Ken In Corona
USN 87-92

Originally Posted by Glenn
We should be there, no doubt. Pull out 'cause Marty is dead? I doubt he would want that.... nor would many of those that gave the unltimate sacrifice. Do the job until it is done.

Your damn right. I have seen first hand what Saddam and his regime did to the Iraqi people. I'm talking rapes, tortures, and murders for not stopping and paying respect to a picture of Saddam. I have seen the handy work of the Republican Guard. 5 year olds with their toungues cut out. Everyone deserves freedom. It is your God given right. I lost several good friends in Iraq. More than any person should ever have to. Everyone of them gave their life for something that they truly believed in. Like Glenn said do the job until it is done.

I was in the First Gulf War, A Co 5th Marines. I too saw first hand what was done to the Kuwati and Iraqi people. Rapes, pilage, burning,stealing etc......absolutly disgusting. So at the very least these people have an opportunity at a better life for themselves and their children. So we can be proud of our military people doing what they do. Semper Fi.

Back