• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running a Steering Stabilizer with JCR

I have the JCR OTK w/ JKS OTA track bar. I cut off the bushing/axle end, shortened and rewelded the rod back on. Looks like it was made that way and works great. I also had horrible scary DW, I found too much caster, bad CA bushings, kinda/not really bad ball joints(I changed from UTK to OTK to try help solve the problem so I changed them while it was apart), and a loose pitman arm. Not all at once but almost one more thing per trail ride. If you have flex joints on you control arm they will/do need frequent tightening. OH yeah and your missing a grease fitting on your lower drag link in your pics, no good either.
Even if you think something is good since it's not that old,check it anyway, check EVERYTHING, having someone shake the steering wheel while you look underneath with a flashlight(so you can see really good) helped alot.

Last edited:
I have the JCR OTK w/ JKS OTA track bar. I cut off the bushing/axle end, shortened and rewelded the rod back on. Looks like it was made that way and works great. I also had horrible scary DW, I found too much caster, bad CA bushings, kinda/not really bad ball joints(I changed from UTK to OTK to try help solve the problem so I changed them while it was apart), and a loose pitman arm. Not all at once but almost one more thing per trail ride. If you have flex joints on you control arm they will/do need frequent tightening. OH yeah and your missing a grease fitting on your lower drag link in your pics, no good either.
Even if you think something is good since it's not that old,check it anyway, check EVERYTHING, having someone shake the steering wheel while you look underneath with a flashlight(so you can see really good) helped alot.
im getting my uppers put in tomorrow. i think i dont have enough lift/ clearance for the OTA mount

Great thread... so to add to the steering questions. I installed the JCR UTK last year, never had a problem. I came back from deployment and now I get a meandering on the road. I've checked the toe in and I'm within the 1/8" measurement. Another thing I've noticed is that when rolling down the highway and any vehicle bigger than a truck passes me, I get pushed around. Once again only started happening since returning from deployment. The Jeep sat with the exception of my wife moving to our new house 12mi away? Anything I need to look at to figure out the problem?

Check the poly spacers. The JCR ones tend to get squished and give you the loose steering you're describing. If you search a bit there are a couple threads that describe it in detail.

I just installed a steering stabilizer on a jcr otk setup this weekend. before I installed the stabilizer, I got my steering as dialed in as possible. my drag link and track bar are as close to parallel as they are gonna get. and after I got it aligned I can honestly say that I am very happy with the setup. I just installed the stabilizer because I had it, and to see if it would make any difference. I actually like the feel of the steering better with stablizer present. you can see it here http://picasaweb.google.com/jaypeesi/Jeep2#
I just connected the stabilizer to the drop trackbar mount and attached the other end to the draglink.

Great thread... so to add to the steering questions. I installed the JCR UTK last year, never had a problem. I came back from deployment and now I get a meandering on the road. I've checked the toe in and I'm within the 1/8" measurement. Another thing I've noticed is that when rolling down the highway and any vehicle bigger than a truck passes me, I get pushed around. Once again only started happening since returning from deployment. The Jeep sat with the exception of my wife moving to our new house 12mi away? Anything I need to look at to figure out the problem?

How old is your kit? For the first year and half we sold the kit, we did not have the poly bushing available for the steering roll. Also, they can wear out and cause the wandering.

They look like this:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNSTBSH&Category_Code=S6

We send one with the kit that goes under the passenger TRE.

For anyone actually interested in ways to mount a SS with stuff relocated; I'll drop in a pic or two when I get home from the office today. In the meantime, I run a crossover setup with the JKS OAB. I have a JKS SS mount that is welded to the top of the OAB and a Currie SS mount for the draglink end w/an OME SS.

I understand the loose poly bushing and I'll look at that when I get home tonight, but that would cause the jeep to wander from side to side with the steering wheel straight. The toe in measurements are good. I know the pitman arm needs to be changed, I don't think I got a nice even hole when I installed the JCR UTK. Would that also cause the wandering? Still trying to figure out why the Jeep will get pushed around when a truck passes on the highway.

This install looks almost identical to what I built for my son's rig,including the Clam-shell mount.Nice Work!
almostdone%20077.jpg

Update: i replaced the heim on the trac bar and installed my ucas and got my axle centered. it drives good but still has the DW. sunday i plan on moving the trac bar ontop of the axle and shortening the trac bar.Anyone know any ideas or thread on how to do this? Thanks.

death wobble and bump steer seems to be fixed. i got a good alignment. replaced the heim on my trac bar, my steering box and installed my upper control arms. tomorrow i plan on putting my OTA bracket on and shortening my trac bar. thanks for your input guys.

Back