• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running a Steering Stabilizer with JCR

The hiem should be tight but not locked up.

Do you have any drag link roll/dead spot with that set up?
it has a lil pop to it. theres a lil play. i have a spare heim ill change it with. i dont have a dead spot or roll

it has a lil pop to it. theres a lil play. i have a spare heim ill change it with. i dont have a dead spot or roll

Fix the hiem and replace the uppers and I'll bet the DW goes away. I wouldn't bother with the SS, most of us with big lifts and different steering have done away with them. A SS will only mask a DW problem temporarily and will never fully cure it.

Fix the hiem and replace the uppers and I'll bet the DW goes away. I wouldn't bother with the SS, most of us with big lifts and different steering have done away with them. A SS will only mask a DW problem temporarily and will never fully cure it.
yeah im going to try that and see what happens. thanks for your input. much appreciated to all

Relocate the track bar above the axle first, that is the majority of the problem. Thats why it didn't do it with your stock steering. The track bar and drag link angles are way off and the need to be fixed

Relocate the track bar above the axle first, that is the majority of the problem. Thats why it didn't do it with your stock steering. The track bar and drag link angles are way off and the need to be fixed
ok i need to buy the relocation bracket and a new trac bar...or should i shorten the trac bar?

You wouldn't be the first one to shorten a trac bar. Or you can but the tubing and the threaded bungs and make one
yeah i may do that. can u explan a lil more on the angles of the drag link and trac bar causing my death wobble?

I used a bunch of different parts to make my OTT SS work.

IIRC I used a Ramcharger axle mount and a CJ-5 draglink mount. I have no idea about the SS.

I got all the stuff from Rocky Mountian Suspension Connection. Me and the parts guy made the kit over the phone.

Not a great pic but you can see it. If you want to see it first hand, Russ owns the XJ now.

100_0557.jpg

JCR OTK here and zero bump steer or DW. I did have DW after the install and it turned out to be a worn trackbar bushing. After that it was a loose steering box (had some trouble with the stock box and replaced it).

Hope that helps.

yeah i may do that. can u explan a lil more on the angles of the drag link and trac bar causing my death wobble?

The track bar and drag link should be parallel, at the same angle. I've never seen an OTK setup where the trackbar was at the stock location and it didn't have issues. More than likely you'll get bump steer with that setup.

I added an over the axle bracket and shortened my trackbar. A cut, sleeve inside, and rosset weld will do the trick.

I have the JCR OTK with the tracbar in the stock location. I have had Zero DW or BS and I even internally balance my tires!!!! I am working on a polished turdy with the tracbar relocated up top but that is several months down the road. :patriot:

The reason you a seeing DW now after switching is because of the cross talk from a knuckle to knuckle tie rod. Before, the factory steering would absorb alot of the shake and it would keep the DW from setting off. Our steering kit does not absorb this, but actually passes it across to the other side, thus aggrevating the problem.

Stuff to check:
Wheel bearings
Upper control arm bushings (axle end)
Steering box bolts are torqued correctly
Trac bar ends (bushings or hiems)

If we get a DW case here at the shop, we normally butt one of the tires on the jeep against a cement pylon and have someone try to turn the wheel. We then have someone else roll around and find the loose parts.

If you just installed the steering, be sure that you did not over ream the knuckles or that ream the holes straight. If the TRE can move at all, this can also cause the DW.

Good luck, let us know if you need anymore help.

~brian

The reason you a seeing DW now after switching is because of the cross talk from a knuckle to knuckle tie rod. Before, the factory steering would absorb alot of the shake and it would keep the DW from setting off. Our steering kit does not absorb this, but actually passes it across to the other side, thus aggrevating the problem.

Stuff to check:
Wheel bearings
Upper control arm bushings (axle end)
Steering box bolts are torqued correctly
Trac bar ends (bushings or hiems)

If we get a DW case here at the shop, we normally butt one of the tires on the jeep against a cement pylon and have someone try to turn the wheel. We then have someone else roll around and find the loose parts.

If you just installed the steering, be sure that you did not over ream the knuckles or that ream the holes straight. If the TRE can move at all, this can also cause the DW.

Good luck, let us know if you need anymore help.

~brian
thanks for your direct input. im swapping out my trac bar heim today because i hear lots of popping.:shiver:

i did the same thing as you. i had a 4.5" lift with adjustable lowers and stock uppers with stock steering and it drove fine. installed OTK steering and OTK trac bar and had DW. turned out my pinion angle was terrible because of the arms. i installed my long arms and adjusted the pinion angle, never had a problem since and i don't run a SS

i did the same thing as you. i had a 4.5" lift with adjustable lowers and stock uppers with stock steering and it drove fine. installed OTK steering and OTK trac bar and had DW. turned out my pinion angle was terrible because of the arms. i installed my long arms and adjusted the pinion angle, never had a problem since and i don't run a SS
whats the degree on your pinion?

Great thread... so to add to the steering questions. I installed the JCR UTK last year, never had a problem. I came back from deployment and now I get a meandering on the road. I've checked the toe in and I'm within the 1/8" measurement. Another thing I've noticed is that when rolling down the highway and any vehicle bigger than a truck passes me, I get pushed around. Once again only started happening since returning from deployment. The Jeep sat with the exception of my wife moving to our new house 12mi away? Anything I need to look at to figure out the problem?

UPdate: everything was re tightened. i removed the trac bar and the popping went away. i did not drive without it. i found that the heim as almost seized and the misaligned spacers have alot of play rather than spin.

Back