• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trail Aug 5th - 7th

Having never run the rubicon, are there any issues with bears. I've been camping in Yosemite. But that has been my only experience with bears. If there are, anyone have recommendations for food security. Is in the jeep ok or do we need to do more?

Yes there are bears. We had one encounter during Sierra Fest '11 but thankfully the dog in our group scared it away. I think most people lock their food in their Jeep but that could be risky.... and it doesn't work for me with an open jeep (tube doors). Best option is to hang it, like the boy scouts do and yes I've done that before. Doesn't work well if you got lots of meat in ice chests though. What I've done the last few trips is cover the ice chests with a plastic tarp. Yes the bears can still smell the food and are usually familiar with ice chests. My thinking is that they might not be familiar with tarps and the sound they make when you mess with them. But if that doesn't deter them at least it will wake me up. Plan B then is to sprinkle cayenne pepper on the tarp, which they shouldn't like if they come sniffing around again. This is an idea taken from Pirate and I think it will work. Cayenne pepper is one of the ingredients used in "pepper" spray, which I have some of that as well. But simple Cayenne pepper will simply shake off the tarp in the morning and not irritate you like spray will.

since my rig is full-bodied still, I plan on locking the food inside like I did last year.

anyone with a tubed out rig is welcome to toss a cooler or whatever in mine.

although, with this group, I imagine the bears will be heading as far away as they can :roflmao:

I'd like to go but only have BFG KM2's 235's and no lockers. Are there go arounds for the big obstacles? Do I need bigger tires AND lockers? The 'con is on my bucket list too.

you don't really need lockers. there are a few times where you would need a winch or a strap but you'd be fine mostly.

I wouldn't run the con on 235s... I was on my CAs and Difs enough with 33"s last year.

maybe somebody who has run it with tires that size can chime in. I know its been done on 31"s

I'm hoping to make this portion of S.F. also. I'm still a Rubi-virgin so I'm looking forward to the chance to change that. :yelclap:

Here's the list of who said they are or might be going. Please update this or add to it. We need to see how big this group is going to be.

1. EricsXJ + friend Tim
2. rockclimber
3. #S194
4. Ben H + 2 JKs
5. Jeep450r
6. twinhauler
7. TORX
8. sdpeardo (maybe)
9. hiimmred
10. favaguitars (maybe)
11. Vanimal (maybe)
12. Rob D (maybe?)

Last edited:
I'm solid now.

1. EricsXJ + friend Tim
2. rockclimber
3. #S194
4. Ben H + 2 JKs
5. Jeep450r
6. twinhauler
7. TORX
8. sdpeardo (maybe)
9. hiimmred
10. favaguitars + wife
11. Vanimal (maybe)
12. Rob D (maybe?)

As a reminder to those who have done the trail before and to inform those who are first timers, there are no restroom facilities on the 'Con. You are also responsible for packing out your waste... yes, ALL your waste.

If you have not done so already, please get some WAG bags to bring with you.

wag-bags.jpg

Proposed schedule:

Aug 5th (Mon) 9:00am - group meets at Loon Lake staging area / kiosk
- run trail from Loon to Buck Island Lake

Aug 6th (Tue) - relax, hike, swim, fish, drive up Old Sluice, whatever...

Aug 7th (Wed) - run trail from Buck Island Lake out to Tahoe. Will stop at Rubicon Springs for lunch and maybe a quick dip. Those not going through to Tahoe can go back to Loon from Buck Island or wherever.
- stay at Motel in Stateline

Aug 8th (Thu) - sleep in. Stock up on supplies and gas before heading to Hermit Valley.

Last edited:
My "maybe" has changed to a "wish I could go, but can't" for the 'con. Hope you all have a great time and see ya at Hermit Valley on Thursday.

Back