• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

I'd say the likelyhood of the entire upgrade as pictured (crossmember, TC guard and arms) selling for $500 is very low.

I'm also disappointed that it ended up a radius arm setup with 1 piece crossmember. While probably more expensive the TREKS version of this is a cleaner install and has been around a while. The CA mounts on this at the crossmember are practically as low as the RC Drop Brackets I now run and more likely to hang up because of where they are located. Sorry but I was hoping for something new and won't be spending my money on this.

I'd say the likelyhood of the entire upgrade as pictured (crossmember, TC guard and arms) selling for $500 is very low.

I'm also disappointed that it ended up a radius arm setup with 1 piece crossmember. While probably more expensive the TREKS version of this is a cleaner install and has been around a while. The CA mounts on this at the crossmember are practically as low as the RC Drop Brackets I now run and more likely to hang up because of where they are located. Sorry but I was hoping for something new and won't be spending my money on this.

Maybe it was converted to a y-link to keep it bolt on? I know some four-link kits require modification to the exhaust so maybe RC wanted to avoid that so the buyer can just bolt it in and go out to play. I dunno.....

ok, cry. a long arm system in the $500 range and your going to complain that TNT's is better?

some would say you get what you pay for, so be it, i'll be ordering RC.. pro's outweigh any cons.. now if you want to pay $1200 more to have the true 4link, with higher mounts, go for it!

ok, cry. a long arm system in the $500 range and your going to complain that TNT's is better?

some would say you get what you pay for, so be it, i'll be ordering RC.. pro's outweigh any cons.. now if you want to pay $1200 more to have the true 4link, with higher mounts, go for it!

X2!!! I get so tired of people bashing the lower cost systems. In my opinion the pros heavily outweigh the cons, so my money is either going to go to Iron rock, or RC and im gona be having just as much fun with my longarms as anyone else.

Maybe it was converted to a y-link to keep it bolt on? I know some four-link kits require modification to the exhaust so maybe RC wanted to avoid that so the buyer can just bolt it in and go out to play. I dunno.....
BDS has a bolt on 4 link, and comparing the two products, the Rough Country kit looks like they just ripped off the BDS crossmember:
http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/ProductPictureDisp.php?pid=1

note the re-enforcement brackets that come up the side of the subframe, and the bolt on t-case skid:
http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/ProductDetails.php?rid=6761

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244625036&postcount=666

BDS has a bolt on 4 link, and comparing the two products, the Rough Country kit looks like they just ripped off the BDS crossmember:
http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/ProductPictureDisp.php?pid=1

note the re-enforcement brackets that come up the side of the subframe, and the bolt on t-case skid:
http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/ProductDetails.php?rid=6761

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244625036&postcount=666

First link doesn't work. I wouldn't say they ripped off BDS. Everyone gets their ideas from others who already did it. That's just how the aftermarket works. It's not IDENTICAL but somewhat similar. Look at all the gas tank skids out there, almost all of them are similar, same with aftermarket crossmembers and y-link arms.

If they can really produce this for around $1,200 they will sell a lot of them. Comparing them to BDS is a joke as it is more than 2x's the cost. I don't think it looks like a knock off at all. In fact, the RC transfer case skid looks a lot better than the million dollar BDS skid. You might argue that you get what you pay for but I'm with nw-xj-scott... who cares! It still looks like a hell of a lift for the price.

X2!!! I get so tired of people bashing the lower cost systems. In my opinion the pros heavily outweigh the cons, so my money is either going to go to Iron rock, or RC and im gona be having just as much fun with my longarms as anyone else.
And again my friends,it comes down to money,hmm interesting. Seriously though, it would be nice if they tucked up more.

Well I would like to pre order one if possible! Ive installed a few of your guys products on other vehicle and always its been top notch!

Cry? No cry here. You misunderstand my point.
I don't care about the cost of either and never intended to buy whatever they came up with since I'm building my own 3-link. I was just hoping for their sake that they would do something original and innovative. Revamping other peoples ideas will not get you to the top of the heap. I like many RC products and being local support them as they do the club I run with. They are great people. I personally don't like radius arms be they RC or TREKS and won't run them whatever the cost. If they suit you then I'm happy for you. As a practical matter I believe the RC Drop brackets that I'm running now will perform as well as what they have produced in these new long arms for even less. They just aren't "Cool" like longarms. I don't care about cool. I want something that works and believe that radius arms that connect that low in the middle of your Cherokee are not ideal by anyones standards I know no matter what they cost. To each his own and may they serve you well.

First link doesn't work. I wouldn't say they ripped off BDS. Everyone gets their ideas from others who already did it. That's just how the aftermarket works. It's not IDENTICAL but somewhat similar. Look at all the gas tank skids out there, almost all of them are similar, same with aftermarket crossmembers and y-link arms.
http://www.bds-suspension.com/Images/Kits/jk_468H.jpg is the picture the link is to.

my very poorly delivered point is that if they went through the effort to design this, start a thread to ask about a long arm kit, get a HUGE amount of support and input saying 3 or 4 link, SAY they are going to build a 4 link, copy a belly pan from a 4 link, then come out with a radius arm setup.... doesn't add up to me. The BDS Kit hangs low, but it needs to give you vertical separation at the frame end. i am really not a fan of Radius arms either. I heard of, was told, and was hoping for a 4-link :-(

I am sure that everyones experience is going to be a bit different. As we all know or will soon find out, not every Jeep is alike. Even smae optioned and model year Cherokee can handle, feel and act different. I have the 4.5 rough country set up with 1in TeraFlex spacers and 2in R.E. shackles. My Jeep rides great. I am on 34in Swampers and have no shimy or shake. Granted my Jeep has all new parts(with in the last year) but, I get the alignment checked regularly and keep on top of my maintainence. The only issue I had was the shock bushings wearing out VERY pre-maturely and I talked with ryan from customer service at Rough Country and he sent me 8 bushings, for free. No questions asked. That may not sound like a big deal to most but I cant think of a time when a company stood behind their product like that. He didnt argue, question, or say I was lying. he appologized for his companies inefficiencies, appologized that I had such bad luck with hteir product and replaced the product with not one, but, 4 bushing changes just in case. I'm just saying, find me a company that stands behind its product like that and I will show you a happy customer.

I have the 4.5" Lift with the full leaf pack on my 2000 XJ. It tends to ride a bit rough, but it's a Jeep, not a luxury vehicle.

I've had many compliments on how well it articulates offroad.

If I remember correctly after reading through most of this entire thread the other day....

Happy Birthday, Jason!

On the long arms - Rubber or poly bushings on the axle end? I hope rubber....
Might there be a wait list we can jump on? ;)

Rob

Last edited:
I have the 4.5" Lift with the full leaf pack on my 2000 XJ. It tends to ride a bit rough, but it's a Jeep, not a luxury vehicle.

I've had many compliments on how well it articulates offroad.

it rides rough because of control arm angle, shackle angle, shocks, tire pressure, and spring rate... not just because its a jeep.

it rides rough because of control arm angle, shackle angle, shocks, tire pressure, and spring rate... not just because its a jeep.

Don't you just hate that phrase? "cuz it's a jeep". People think jeeps are designed to ride rough.....uhh....untrue.

He is just saying that he doesnt expect his jeep to have a luxurious ride... If he wanted a nice smooth ride, he would have bought a cadillac.

But what you posted does highly effect the ride and performance of his jeep.

Just bought some 2" shackles hope there good. They were cheaper then anything I could get from work with a discount.

Bought and installed some a few weeks ago. Perfectly serviceable, fit great and the quality is good. The first thing I did was look at them and wonder "How can company XYZ charge twice as much for basically the same thing and sell any of them?" I'd buy them again without hesitation.

Back