• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

Now there is a great lift.. Very easy to install.. Took me only 12 hrs by myself.. They ride stiff at first then the ride gets nice, just like all new springs do when they are new..

Once again I have gotten awsome service from Rough Country (Jason). I was getting a slight vibe above 55 in my Jeep that has a 4.5'' RC lift. I called Jason (Grimus) and he is sending me shims free of charge. I also love my lift from them Good Prices, Easy Installation, Great service. Ride is a little rough but i was expecting that. Thanks again Jason

Last edited:
I started out with the 3 in. kit from j.c. whitney. I didnt use the block, instead I added a couple of extra leafs along with the aal. I started out with just over 4in. in the rear. After a year it sagged to around 3 1/2in. The fronts sagged about an inch in the same amount of time. I ran rancho 9000 shocks with this lift and I had no problems in that area.
I broke down last summer and bought a 4 1/2 RC kit w/spring packs I havent installed it yet, my off time has been all spent on my GTX that I bought about the same time. Anyway when I install this kit I will add a spacer in the front to prevent the sag and to help keep it up there with the added weight of a warn 9000 and a winch bumper. I was thinking of going with the adjustable front spacers just to be able to keep the front end where it needs to be. In the rear I am going to add a leaf somewhere in the pack and possibly shackles, because I have a tire carrier that holds a jerry can and a high lift, a rack on top and other goodies inside.
I like the price of the RC kits. You can always add to them or upgrade down the road. As with any product some people will like it and others wont. Thats the way it goes.
I dont mind the ride. Its not a daily driver, besides I never had an XJ that was smooth. I guess it's a jeep thing. If you want a smooth ride look elsewhere or stay on the road with a car.

Last edited:
I debated for a loooooong time over Rough Country or Rustys. Finally spent the 2 hundred (or whatever) bucks more for the Rustys, and man, what a deal! Thing rides real nice, it handles bumps like a king, and I have even jumped it without one worry. Install was nice, and yes, i went with the full spring packs, AAL should only be considered temporary if you ask me. I believe my kit was just over 700, shipped. I got the 4.5 inch kit, no long arm, BIG trac bar. Shocks ride excellent for no-names, and the rear springs can sure as heck take a beating. However, i DO have a buddy who runs the Rough Country 4.5 inch, and he absolutely loves it. Really, either way you go you will be MORE trail ready, MORE capable and look MORE cool. Do it man, do it!

GRIMUS99XJ said:
and to those defending or enjoying Rough Country and our products Thank You :cheers:

A little praise coming your way.

My good friend bought the $400 4.5" kit a few years ago and it handled great. He never ran a sway bar in the front so the stiffer springs were great for his driving style considering he grew up in southern California and prerunnen was all he knew. Whether it be hauling ass in some whoops, jumping or crawling that kit delivered for a great price and I never saw a part brake even when he totaled the heep into a mustang. The control arm mount sheered off but the arms never broke.

Mike1331 said:
A little praise coming your way.

My good friend bought the $400 4.5" kit a few years ago and it handled great. He never ran a sway bar in the front so the stiffer springs were great for his driving style considering he grew up in southern California and prerunnen was all he knew. Whether it be hauling ass in some whoops, jumping or crawling that kit delivered for a great price and I never saw a part brake even when he totaled the heep into a mustang. The control arm mount sheered off but the arms never broke.

That is good to here besides the wreck and our qaulity has got better since then as well

Skwerly said:
I debated for a loooooong time over Rough Country or Rustys. Finally spent the 2 hundred (or whatever) bucks more for the Rustys, and man, what a deal! Thing rides real nice, it handles bumps like a king, and I have even jumped it without one worry. Install was nice, and yes, i went with the full spring packs, AAL should only be considered temporary if you ask me. I believe my kit was just over 700, shipped. I got the 4.5 inch kit, no long arm, BIG trac bar. Shocks ride excellent for no-names, and the rear springs can sure as heck take a beating. However, i DO have a buddy who runs the Rough Country 4.5 inch, and he absolutely loves it. Really, either way you go you will be MORE trail ready, MORE capable and look MORE cool. Do it man, do it!
So you are saying you went with the $200 more Rusty/s kit in a Rough Country thread? Hmmmm strange.
I have the RC 3" with AAL's that are strating to sag and Jason is working me a deal on a new spring pack. Great customer service to me.

new trailride update with rough country parts.

my wife was running a trail on a friends property that our club calls "mission impassable". so far the smallest vehicles that has managed to get through had
4" lift, 33", and at least 1 locker. also most people end up blowing a beat and breaking tie rods in there.

my wife decided it was time for her to try it last weekend. for her just learning how to do rocks, plus having a manual tranny she did excellent. unfortunately she also stood her jeep up on the rear end and when she came down she ripped the driver lower control arm mount 1/4ways off and moved it about 1.5" inward and the tie rod end on the rough country trackbar is now junk again. other than that none of the rough country parts even seemed to care.

so now i have to replace the control arm mounts and replace the trackbar tie rod end for the 3rd time this year.

yup. the rough country kit can definitely take some abuse. only weekness i've found so far always ends up being the trackbar.

i like how i need an attitude adjustment, just because im honest about a manufacturer in a thread asking about said mfg.

....so its ok to ship the shittiest shocks in history, IF they offer something better as well? at an additional price

my thing is, why ship out those cheap shocks, if you can get something better.
why ship junk, hoping people upgrade?

sorry, i didnt know this was a ´feel-good about your junk´ thread
this thread has been taken over by rough country gang mentallity
now we know what these guys do for that 10% discount

Last edited:
xcm said:

Actually if I can recall correctly, there's only about two or three shock manufacturers in the U.S. :patriot:It's all a matter of who slaps their stickers on it and how much they want to mark up the price. :dunno:

xcm said:
i like how i need an attitude adjustment, just because im honest about a manufacturer in a thread asking about said mfg.

....so its ok to ship the shittiest shocks in history, IF they offer something better as well? at an additional price

so let me get this straight..........you're saying that rough country is the only company that has (as you call it) the "shittiest shocks in history"??? so if i buy shocks from anybody else but rough country they're guaranteed never to fail??? man i want whatever you're smoking cuz my shit and that strong.

for what it's worth. my wife stood her jeep up on end this past weekend and did a full drop on the front axle bend and partially ripping off her control arm mount. DID NO DAMAGE to any of the rough country parts including the shocks. maybe your shocks just don't like the fact that you keep calling them "the shittiest shocks in history" and so they decided not to work for you.

have you even bothered contacting jason or anybody at rough country this past week??? or are you still just here bitching about a part that went defective. jesus christ man you're not the only person in the world that's ever had something break on them. i'm sure people on this board have worn or blown shocks with every imaginable brand sticker on them, and any other part imaginable. so unless you contacted rough country and can claim that you got a shitty part and shitty customer service, stop making bullshit accusation and grow up.

xcm said:
dude, i had no idea shocks were so fragile, i will go serenade them ASAP!

:worship: Oh you are the man...... man, NOT. Thing is you are buying a lift not all is about the shocks. And if memory serves me correct Rancho shocks are the worst, pull your head out and ummmm well just head out! Dirka dirka

Nothing to say about RC.

xcm, did you have to pay extra for the shocks?

When I bought my RE 3.5" SF kit from JO.com it came with free D3000's. They are shitty as hell. I didn't mind though since they were FREE and the shocks I had on at the time were shot! I am gonna continue to wheel them until I can afford something better.

How else do you suggest a company make an extremely affordable lift kit? Corners must be cut somewhere, I'd rather them cut the corners on the shocks than the Control arms and springs.

oh and

Pwned!

Hey folks, i just helped the kid REMOVE his RE lift, DEATH WOBBLE.. I was looking at his shocks, GUESS what? THEY ARE CHIT, yep thats right pure chit brand new lift only 5 maybe 6 miles on it, all street.. So as you can see any body can get bad parts... So just to make sure thats what it was we put on my shocks, RC 6.5 cheap-o shocks LOL, holy crap he can drive it now, so now he is trying to call RE to get new shocks.. I just PRAY THEY ARE AS GOOD AS GRIMM AN RC ARE for replacing parts that made it by there inspectors...Thats my 2 cents, so it can happen to every body

scottmcneal said:
Hey folks, i just helped the kid REMOVE his RE lift, DEATH WOBBLE.. I was looking at his shocks, GUESS what? THEY ARE CHIT, yep thats right pure chit brand new lift only 5 maybe 6 miles on it, all street.. So as you can see any body can get bad parts... So just to make sure thats what it was we put on my shocks, RC 6.5 cheap-o shocks LOL, holy crap he can drive it now, so now he is trying to call RE to get new shocks.. I just PRAY THEY ARE AS GOOD AS GRIMM AN RC ARE for replacing parts that made it by there inspectors...Thats my 2 cents, so it can happen to every body

everyone has there defects but it depends on how that company deals with it
example... one maybe two calls on an item could be manufacture defect but a flood of calls sounds like a bad batch of product, than there is that constant call wich tells me there is a design flaw. One thing to keep in mind is I do not believe anyone intentially sell junk maybe less quality but not junk there are way to many lawsuit friendly people out there to sell knowingly defective product

it was on my mind thought I would express that thanks.
Jason

I'm currently on my third XJ lift.

First, was an RC, second was Rusty's, the third is an RE.

The RC lift was certainly the lowest quality product of the three. This was several years ago, and I realize that the manufacturing process has to have been improved by this point. The paint and coatings were falling off the parts when they arrived. The ride was unacceptably harsh. They simply were not up to the quality I expected.

Rusty's was what Rusty's is. Cheap in price, acceptable quality, you just hope you don't have problems.

Rubicon Express has been by FAR a superior experience. There is no comparison in the ride quality. All three are/were AAL lifts. RE kit came complete(minus one piece) with everything I needed to install it without a bunch of trips to the parts/hardware store. The one missing bracket was overnighted to me at RE's expense. Their customer service was absolutely phenomenal, no arguing about whether the parts were actually missing. A superior company to deal with.

I realize that it is a bit of bravado and a bit of salesmanship to come here and post a trap thread like this. But it does show that at least you, not necessarily the company wants to revive some of your reputation. But at least for me, I will keep saying 'with Rough Country, emphasis the ROUGH.'

Back