• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ross's Jeep that will take longer than Rob's to build thread...

Re: Ross's Box and Sticker Collection

Ross only works on this once every two months.

^This

"blah blah blah blah football this Sunday gotta get ready blah blah blah blah"

^Followed by this.

My goal of the day is to park 65 cars in my backyard for the playoff game today. At $40 a car, I should make a few dollars that will be spent on more boxes and stickers.

anthonys sound system build is more interesting then this thread

So, some recent talks about knuckles got me thinking about stuff again. I realized that Id rather be a cheapass and use what I got already. Decided to do some stuff to the stocker knuckles. Id rather drop some coin on some nice arms and use these knuckles for now.

I started with these a while back and decided I didnt like it and I should take more off :dunno:

bhkrad.jpg

2yyns0g.jpg

2pqmkvd.jpg

Heres what Im doing now. Everything is 3/16". A second layer will be added down the sides over the main pieces after the first round of welding. I think I'll also weld a chunk of 3/4" to the frontside to add in a 5th bolt.

5lb7o3.jpg

x6dkdg.jpg

25ibqxf.jpg

2aevvnt.jpg

288xml5.jpg

Im going for something like Action Fab did for his knuckles Here and his steering/trackbar setup Here.

Looking good!
FYI, make sure you mock up your brake caliper bracket and caliper if you are using the stock Ford D60 stuff. I had to make sure I left room when I plated mine. It looks like you will have issues with how you did some of those plates.

Everything is just tacked in place for now. I threw the caliper bracket on afterwards and it fit no problem. As for the caliper, if anything, I might have to clearance a little bit on the back edge. I gotta steal the H-blocks and mounting hardware from the other side since I'm missing the ones for the side I'm working on now to mock it up.

yo! just read your build thread. those axels are badass, cant wait to see them under it!! kudos on the tire and rim setup i think i got a chub! yours is a bit further along than mine, but i fab for a livin so im sure i can get it dont fairly quik. thanks for the ideas, keep em comin!

Yeah, I used a mix of 1/4 and 5/16" and that was a pain to conform.

Bad picture, but you can almost see what I'm talking about.
There is about 1/4" left between the knuckle and the caliper. In the tight spots (corners) there is less than 1/16" between the caliper bracket and the side of the knuckle (kinda hidden in the picture but you get the idea). You could probably grind the bracket a bit to make it fit if you needed.

BrakeCalipertoKNuckleClearance.jpg

Yeah, I used a mix of 1/4 and 5/16" and that was a pain to conform.

Bad picture, but you can almost see what I'm talking about.

Im going 3/16" cause its easy to bend and doubled up sides for a total of 3/8".

That picture is perfect, I know what you mean, I should have no problem clearing. I also have less knuckle then you so the side plating is farther inward.

Is your Bridgeport up and running yet? Build your own bling steering arms!

Is your Bridgeport up and running yet? Build your own bling steering arms!

I used it to turn the hole saw to make the UBE's. I'll mount the knuckles up on it after welding to clean up all the mating surfaces. I'd REALLY like to make/get some sort of axle jig so I can toss the 14b up there to clean up/notch the shave and make the diff cover mounting surface flat and happy so it doesnt leak.

Needs keyways...infanite forces will be introduced upon turning causing all the bolts to shear at once....

im still very confused with all this talk about brake clearances like are they on sale or somthing

infanite forces will be introduced upon turning causing all the bolts to shear at once....

Ha, all I can think of is this pic of a pair of unkeyed Cranes that lost 6 outta 8 studs at once.

2641iq1.jpg

Needs keyways....

I would really love to add some, but I dunno if I have the awesome machinist ability to carve some in with my paper weight, errrr, bridgeport I mean. Im not quiet percise enough nor is my machine/tooling enough I bet to be able to complete a keyway setup like I want (READ: the proper way/tolerances).

I probably shoulda just NOT cut off the stock steering arm, plated the knuckles, and built a set of high steer arms with a larger bolt to tie everything together like some of the ideas HERE.

BOX AND STICKER UPDATE TOO!!! EVEN A CAT THIS TIME!!! ZOMG!!!

5oa984.jpg

14b thick cut 5.38's turned down to 10" O.D. and required install bearings/pieces. What you dont see in the pic is that the little packet of setup paint they usually include had gotten pinched between some parts and exploded inside the box. Everything was covered in yellow when I was removing them so I give it all a quick wipe down.

Time for me to get off my ass and finish up the shave job now.

Im proud of myself. Built an axle jig for the 14b and carried it over to the Bridgeport. First time in like 1.5 years I dont have a 1ton axle on my work bench!! Kinda self-teaching myself to machine stuff...... :gee:

(Hopefully by the end of the week it'll be ready for welding)

2r7y900.jpg

11sm9a1.jpg

11lohg5.jpg

Back