• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Tire Carrier - homemade??

mikeny59 said:
31 will fit inside stock area if you remove the bracket at the bottom, then bungee

ya know, I tried that inflated and I couldn't close the rear hatch, but haven't yet tried it uninflated. This is on a 99. are earlier models different??

its' a tight queeze fore and aft, mines' a '98

That's what I do soarhead25, I leave it at home when it's the DD but when I go wheelin I'll have to strap it down inside somewhere...
I have been thinking about how I would like it if my rear view was being blocked by a tire and wheel. I really do use my inside rear view mirror a lot because the door mirrors are so doggone small! I'm glad someone pointed that problem out.
Tony

Trust me, IMHO rear tire carriers are accidents waiting to happen...

Plus they mess up the clean lines of any xj ;)

tippy with a tire on the roof? a 30lb stock tire is going to make that much of a difference in the vehicles ride?

i find that hard to believe. and we all know how difficult it is to accurately measure the change in mpg.

you would have to be on a track, and test with the exact same accelleration, exact same speed throughout the test, the exact same weather conditions, exact same tire pressure...etc... etc...

What is bumping?

"Bumping" is replying to your own post to bring it back to the top of the forum's list. It is usually done by simplying replying with the word "Bump" or "BTT" (Back To Top). It adds no new information to the post and takes up bandwith.

Regarding a roof-mounted tire carrier:
Get a spare tire carrier from a YJ or TJ. There are very many of these sitting around unused and can often be had cheap or free. You can bolt or weld this to supports of your design.

a 30" tire may not change anything but let me tell you when I toss the 33" TSL on the roof it rides much different. As far as a decrease in fuel milage, no idea. On a good day that Jeep only sees 12MPG.

I like the rear tire carrier/bumper combos, it opens up cargo space and there are some that block much less of the mirror than others.

i didnt mean to start a debate: whats better, rooftop or rear.

i just wanted to know if anyone had made a homemade rooftop carrier - to support a stock wheel and tire.

sycho - do you mean get a yj or tj rear tire carrier and use it to bolt onto the roof rack? thats an idea!

OH a stock tire, that shouldn't affect mileage quite as much. Shouldn't be too tippy with the swaybar connected either. If you make one, make something stout. Wouldn't want that thing becoming a missile if you were to be in an accident.

As for the MPG try the EXACT same route to work every day and a sudden 13 mpg and downshifting up overpasses coinciding with when the tire is on the roof, versus no downshifting and 15 mpg when the tire and hi-lift are inside and the rack is on the ground at home. I have repeated the test several times in varying conditions and the gain is always between 1.5-2.2 mpg without the rack and 33"MTR on the roof.

Let me backpedal a bit; chuglys' post reminded me that the C4x4 set-up I have sitting in my attic, I was supposed to see how much I could lower the mount by cutting and rewelding the vertical bracket. :speepin:

Now that I've learned that towing a trailer is not the best idea (mod. forum), may go that route to free up interior space for Ny - Fl. road trips, if I still can see MOST of what's behind me.

Gosh, this loss of memory is scarin' me...

Thanks for the remimnder,

I made my own top rack that has a tire mount built into the base. Uses a J-hook stainless bolt and made a custom large nut with a taper that centers the wheel and clamps the rim down to the top rack. I then bought a nice tight tire cover to keep it from getting baked by the sun. I will post some pics this weekend. I believe my rack cost all the mpg loss, haven't seen anymore loss with the tire and hi lift jack up there.

Back