• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler 3 link

I have heard people talking about sleeving the framerails for the upper control arm bracket. What exactly do they mean by sleeve? Also does anyone know if the instructions give length measurements for the control arms? Thanks.
-Matt

AZ XJ: Like most people have said. The on-road ride is a dream. It's very smooth, very stable, and very predictable. Also as long as you take care of your joints and keep them well greased, you won't have any road noise and really its quite close to soaking up the pumps that a regular bushing would do. You should have no worries driving your truck as a DD. I use my truck as a DD back and forth between school and work, I do about 90 miles everyday, and I drive my truck like I stole it. Never had any problems, its predictable from 0-90. Anything over that is up to you but I can tell you, its still solid all the way up there, no worries.

Thayer: I hear you on NJ roads sucking the big one. The roads around here are horrible. Plus you add in awesome Jersey drives and it proves to be a daunting task to drive anywhere in this state.

XJ_Jeeper01: When people talk about sleeving the frame rails theres a few things I've heard people do, but none are really necessary. I've installed quite a few of these kits and never had crushing of the frame rails that people talk of but I'll explain anyway.

When people talk of sleeving the frame rails you can do a few things.
One would be to drill holes big enough to fit a metal sleeve that will fit over the bolts that you are installing with the bracket. This way you make the sleeve the same width of your frame rails. Then when you tighten the bolts, it tightens down on the sleeve preventing your frame rails from getting crushed.

Also you can add pieces of angle iron or the sorts to your frame rails. This will stiffen up your frame rails and also act as a sleeve so that your frame rails don't get crushed.

Like I said, I've installed quite a few of these and never had it occur, but that doesn't mean it can't.

Got any more questions ask away.

Matt

matt6669 said:
AZ XJ: Like most people have said. The on-road ride is a dream. It's very smooth, very stable, and very predictable. Also as long as you take care of your joints and keep them well greased, you won't have any road noise and really its quite close to soaking up the pumps that a regular bushing would do. You should have no worries driving your truck as a DD. I use my truck as a DD back and forth between school and work, I do about 90 miles everyday, and I drive my truck like I stole it. Never had any problems, its predictable from 0-90. Anything over that is up to you but I can tell you, its still solid all the way up there, no worries. Matt

Thanks for your help, it seems that everbody I've talked to so far has had nothing but good stuff to say about the way the kit rides on road. I'm using my truck basically the same way your using yours, with about the same amount of miles every day too. How often are you greasing your joints?
az4wheeler2002 gave me a great price on welding the brackets at his shop, so it seems like things could work out pretty well for me with the kit. I'm still kind of looking at the TnT kit because it's so highly reguarded around here, and seems well built, but $900 is quite a chunk of change. I just don't want to regret it like I do my current setup.

well my truck has been off the road for over a month now, as its going under a huge build-up but when I was driving it as my DD i would check everything atleast once a week.

It only takes 5 minutes to crawl under there and make sure all your jam nuts are still really tight and to pop a grease gun on the joints and see if there is enough grease in there.

Plus while your under there its a great time to check all your steering joints, and etc to make sure they are still greased up.

I'm pretty big on preventative maintence, some say I go overboard, but I like to make sure everything is running smoothly so that I don't get stranded anywhere because a joint blew out from not being grease or properly tightened.

As far as the TNT kit or the RK kit. Theres a few ways to look at it and I've had this discussion a few times. The way I look at it is this. The RK kit's arms are stronger (all the non believers don't bother to post as its already been proven in a previous thread), their kits are backed by a beat proof warranty, and its a lot cheaper. You can buy their LA Kit, their Skid plate and still be around 300+ cheaper than the TNT kit. Also I'm not to big on these high clearence arms.

My thought on those arms is this, I would rather have my 1.75" RK arms be the lowest point on my truck. This way if I so happen to come down on a rock, im going to hit my arms instead of my driveshafts. Whereas with the TNT kit you'll land on your driveshaft.

Thats my opinion, im sure others will chime in with theirs.
Matt

matt6669 said:
My thought on those arms is this, I would rather have my 1.75" RK arms be the lowest point on my truck. This way if I so happen to come down on a rock, im going to hit my arms instead of my driveshafts.

x2
I use my lower arms as sliders, wouldn't want it any other way!!

matt6669 said:
XJ_Jeeper01: When people talk about sleeving the frame rails theres a few things I've heard people do, but none are really necessary. I've installed quite a few of these kits and never had crushing of the frame rails that people talk of but I'll explain anyway.

When people talk of sleeving the frame rails you can do a few things.
One would be to drill holes big enough to fit a metal sleeve that will fit over the bolts that you are installing with the bracket. This way you make the sleeve the same width of your frame rails. Then when you tighten the bolts, it tightens down on the sleeve preventing your frame rails from getting crushed.

Also you can add pieces of angle iron or the sorts to your frame rails. This will stiffen up your frame rails and also act as a sleeve so that your frame rails don't get crushed.
thanks i appreciate the info. yea i'm definitely sold on this kit. going to be ordering it soon! :D
-Matt

XJ_Jeeper01 said:
thanks i appreciate the info. yea i'm definitely sold on this kit. going to be ordering it soon! :D
-Matt

X2. and thanks to everybody who provided info.

you got it. Only a couple more days to order though. Our shop will be closed from the 7th and we won't open back up until monday the 12th so order them before the sale ends on the 7th.

You can email me at [email protected]
or you can call our shop 1-845-355-7625 (rock)

And no problem with the answers guys, thats why we all come here, to help each other out!!

Matt

I live in florida and drive in swamp everytime i go wheeling. how are these joints going to react to sand,mud, and water. would a rubber set up be better for me.

forwheelin49 said:
I just got done installing this kit and needed the welding instructions again because I lost them so if anyone could tell me the welding instructions it would be much appreciated

Jeff
1/2 INCH WELDS EVERY 1/2 INCH

flex.jpg

8' rk kit one day install, handles great
flex pretty good too if i may say so myself

Back