• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reinforced tranny pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
It'd be really nice if somebody made a tranny pan w/ a built in skid. I'd make my own skid and weld it to it, but I have no means of welding aluminum
sad.gif

Billy

what type of welder do you have? if you have MIG you could get a reel gun... just a thought...

To compound this idea, I think go-jeep made a deeper tranny pan by welding two pans together. Something like that would be a neat aftermarket part combined with that skid.

I have a Millermatic 175 (MIG). I knew I could get the attachments and stuff, but it seems like kind of a waste for one 30 minute job.
Thanks,
Billy
agreed. but then again you never know when you'd need to weld Al again. i dunno. i'd be tempted to buy the reel gun.... or, why not fab up a belly pan? rather than modifying the tranny itself.

You should be able to put a Teflon sleeve inside feed cord and rent a small bottle of helium argon gas and go to town. Spool guns are not necessary for welding aluminum, they just make it a whole lot easier.

If they don't make a liner for you're cord then just get the cord as straight as possible and get some scrap aluminum to play with to get the right settings.

I thought the AW4 pan was stamped steel? How else would the sump magnet stick to it, y'know?

X2! i just got done replacing the gasket on my AW4 pan. it was fer sure stamped steel.

I dunno, but mine is definitely aluminum!
Billy

are you sure? is it stock?

X2! i just got done replacing the gasket on my AW4 pan. it was fer sure stamped steel.

are you sure? is it stock?

They could have switched to aluminum later. AMC overbuilt, but ChryCo hasn't been known for that since the 1970's.

So, is the aluminum pan cast? Or stamped?

Wow, I'm an idiot.
emb.gif

I could have swore it was aluminum, but Jon's right... stamped steel. Maybe my last rig had an aluminum pan, or maybe I should lay off the crack pipe!
rofldunno.gif

Billy

I was wondering about that. I just serviced an AW4 this past week-end, and the magnets stuck to the sump just fine...

As I said, AMC was known for overbuilding, and Toyota did it quite a bit as well. The AW4 is a Toyota box.

Besides, steel is easier to stamp, as it doesn't work harden as much as aluminum do.

I was wondering about that. I just serviced an AW4 this past week-end, and the magnets stuck to the sump just fine...

As I said, AMC was known for overbuilding, and Toyota did it quite a bit as well. The AW4 is a Toyota box.

Besides, steel is easier to stamp, as it doesn't work harden as much as aluminum do.

So, I can just weld right though that "silvery" coating? I took a wire wheel to it, but it still looks "silvery".
Billy

So, I can just weld right though that "silvery" coating? I took a wire wheel to it, but it still looks "silvery".
Billy

Meh - I'd probably want to burn through it (80 grit should serve) in case its zinc, and I know you won't want pops in your weldments. I think it's a funny variation on galvanising, but I'm not sure. Yet.

I'd love a skid that bolted to my AX-15 - which is actually aluminum...

maybe someday I'll make one, but if someone made one, and it was under $100, I'd probably buy it... :shhh:

If the AW4 had cooling issues or was more vulnerable, someone would have already attacked the market demand with a solution. I like the idea of a deep sump pan with integrated skid.......hard to justify that much tooling for an outdated slushbox by the mainstream.

Maybe Rufftuff can build a mold to punch out some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back