• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery with no recovery points

"less bad" front recovery

• Sway Bar

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Front Axle

Votes: 128 75.3%
  • Other?

Votes: 23 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so we know you shouldn't get in to this situation, but if it does happen, what's the "less bad" front end part to pull from?

1) Sway Bar
2) Axle
3) Other?

I have towed many Jeeps by either creating a "U" with the strap or by looping it trough itself around the front axle.

Make sure you pick the right spot cause you can get other components pinched and bend them if the strap pulls on it wrong. (Tie rod, trac bar, etc...)

Who ever voted for swaybar is retarded. I would NEVER trust those 4 bolts on the unibody and that thin bar to tow a vehicle, especially in a recovery situation.

so...pulling off a sway bar isnt better then ripping out an axle?? bcuz i have seen both

so...pulling off a sway bar isnt better then ripping out an axle?? bcuz i have seen both
:rolleyes:

You don't even use proper grammar what do you know...

Last edited:
I say roll the windows down, pull strap thru... Depends, but if it only takes a little pull, i would say front axle..Never used sway bar

:rolleyes:

You don't even use proper grammar what do you know...

haha its funny cuz you didnt even notice that the first time you posted...you had to come back and edit your post :laugh:

haha its funny cuz you didnt even notice that the first time you posted...you had to come back and edit your post :laugh:
and yours is still uncorrected...

and really, you've seen an axle ripped out from under a Jeep because it was used as a tow point? Got any pics of that one bud?

and yours is still uncorrected...

and really, you've seen an axle ripped out from under a Jeep because it was used as a tow point? Got any pics of that one bud?

yes i have actually, both passenger side control arms mounts tore off. uca ripped off at the axle, and the lca tore at the "frame"

and I suppose the trac bar mount ripped of the axle and the drag link ripped the pitman arm right off the steering box as well?
Was this some rusted bucket of bolts Cherokee from the east coast?

That right there is a freak accident if it did happen. Ive never seen anything like that and Ive recovered MANY vehicles by pulling on the front axle.

Alot of throttle and you can rip a jeep apart. See Jeep pulled from front recover points and rip the whole bumper and recover point off.

Alot of throttle and you can rip a jeep apart. See Jeep pulled from front recover points and rip the whole bumper and recover point off.

Yeah cause thats practicing safe recovery skills...

"Just roll back and give it some gas there Cletus. Should tug her right out..." :rolleyes:

yes i have actually, both passenger side control arms mounts tore off. uca ripped off at the axle, and the lca tore at the "frame"

If you get that stuck and don't have recovery points, you get what you deserve. What do you suggest people use?

I vote axle if you have to, not enough support in the sway bar.

That's why I have tow hooks and a 20ft strap, but if there weren’t a recovery point on the other vehicle, I would have to say that I would hook it on to... another vehicle! ha ha ha! I just don’t understand people that have poorly equipped trucks and SUV’s.

well as of now, i have recovery Front and rear, BUT it hasnt always been that way, and i have had No problems Recovering OR towing with the front axle

I normally loop the strap around the Passenger side axle, Right next to the Diff. Centered, I do NOT use excessive force, Pickup the slack then pull like hell, You should never EVER Hammer it. But the front Axle is safe in my opinion. Used it enough to trust it every time!.

First off if your wheeling with no recovery points you deserve to get stuck, go prepared. Second the axle is a very sturdy place to go from and for the most part when you recover a vehicle offroad you are not going to be taking running pulls at it unless they are very stuck or maybe buried in snow.

But if you have to jerk someone out I really hope you have a kinetic tow rope, because I have recovered with a regular strap and also with a kinetic tow rope and the kinetic (stretchable) ropes are alot more forgiving and you barely feel it when someone is taking running pulls to get you out.

-Alex

What do you think is stuck? It is not usually the body. It is the wheels, which are most closely connected to the axles. If you pull on the front axle, you are pulling on the part that is the closest to what is stuck. Pulling on the body, even a recovery point, is not as good as pulling on the axle.

well not just alot of throttle, it was clay mud up to the doors and an f350..

Back