• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear upper shock mounts.

I have not climbed under my XJ to check the grade of the OEM bolts. However if they are grade 5 you could also replace them with stainless steel and not have to worry about them rusting. I know these are not as strong as your grade 8 "upgrade" however they may be plenty strong for the application. I have a 90 XJ and my bolts came right out. Where your XJ lives or did live may play a huge role on the being rusted.

My solution may be overkill, but I'll never have to deal with that stock set-up again. I had a shop weld in a (bar) crossmember between the framerails with brackets for the upper shock mounts. Not cheap (around $200, material & labor), but worth it to me since I won't have to deal with that stock set-up again, as well as being able to use a regular bolt/nut instead of messing with bar pins the next time I replace my shocks. Just a different approach to consider.

jdurbach said:
does the breakage normally happen on older xjs mine is a 99
Mine is a 99. I broke all four bolts on my rear shocks.

I had no problems with my leaf bolts though.. Except if you have a hitch.. The bolts go inwards.

Why in gods green earth would ever think about cutting holes in the floor to do anything? There are much easier ways around cutting through the floor.

I purposely snap the bolts off, take a punch, or flathead screwdriver give it two or three solid smacks with a big hammer on the welded nut, the nut falls right out. Then, you take a nut that you bought at the hardware store, tape it to a wrench, insert wrench in those access ports about 3-6 inches over, line it up over your new hole you just made, thread in your bolt. 5 minute job. I have done this on 4 different XJ's. Mine, of course being the absolute worse, one of the nuts took about 10 smacks to get it out. However that may have only been because It was 2 in the morning, I was piss drunk and kept missing.

None of mine broke! I was loosening them up this weekend before my lift installation next weekend. I ended up taking all of them out and getting all the rust off. I only sprayed each bolt a couple times throughout the month with pb too!

I havent done the shocks on my xj yet but when I work under most cars I use an impact and just let it hammer away some time 5 min or more they almost allways come out unbroken. Of course I dont live in rock salt country either. Oh yea I pb blaser or S'ok a few days in advance.

Back