• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bar

Keep the rear Sway bar

• Keep It

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Ditch It

Votes: 233 91.4%
  • Quick Discos

Votes: 13 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
CamoXJeep said:
While your at it ditch the front also :eek:) Not running either and drove from Arizona to Kentucky that way, wheel it that way and daily drive it that way! Been that way for over a year now. But its up to you :eek:) Later Jeff CamoXJ
I have quick discos on the front, so those are staying on. I don't remember if my RE instructions told me to remove the sway bar. Although, I didn't really use them anyway. :shhh:

Could removing the rear sway bar cause any liability issues? For example, if i rolled the xj on the highway trying to avoid something, could the insurance company say they won't cover it b/c i didnt have my rear swaybar on?

j_prime said:
Could removing the rear sway bar cause any liability issues? For example, if i rolled the xj on the highway trying to avoid something, could the insurance company say they won't cover it b/c i didnt have my rear swaybar on?

That's an issue to discuss with your concsience, lawyer and insurance agent... :doh:

Look at it this way...talking on a cellphone or changing radio stations, even looking down to scan the instruments will cause liability IF the people you wreck out insurance co's finds out about it & lays the blame on ya.

Many folks run with no rear sway bar (as stated above, it was deleted on XJs with the Up-Country suspension) with little or no issues.

My 88 XJ is still stock, with both swaybars as delivered 16 years ago. When I upgrade the axle and rear springs, the rear bar will be deleted.

YMMV

"Could removing the rear sway bar cause any liability issues? For example, if i rolled the xj on the highway trying to avoid something, could the insurance company say they won't cover it b/c i didnt have my rear swaybar on?"

Since Jeeps with the up-country suspension don't have rear swaybars to begin with, I would think you would be on pretty safe ground in this regard. Removing the FRONT swaybar, however, is a whole different matter. No XJ has ever been sold without a front bar and I suspect that removing it would open you to a whole lot more questions.

Of course, in the end, "they" (either your own insurance company or the other side's) can try to argue anything they want, so any modifications at all open the possibility of them trying to lay the blame on those modifications and thereby on you. It's up to you whether you want to let that stop you from making any modifications at all. (Point of reference: it hasn't stopped me!)

I've got 2 XJs, a 94 and a 01. The 2001 has the upcountry factory suspension and I never noticed that it didn't have one until someone pointed it out and I had to crawl under to see for myself.

The front is a whole different matter. The front on my 94 (it no longer has a rear) is currently disconnected because I bent some of the disconnect stuff the last time that I was off-road. It sways a good bit in corners and you don't even want to try to stop in a big hurry; it feels like the 2 front wheels are trying to go in opposite directions.

Robert

"Quick Discos"? Where have you seen QDs for the rear XJ bar? They can't be at the ends or they would rip into the tyre when flexing. The end links must remain connected. The only a Qd would work if it was of teh Sun Performance variety and hooked into that 4" inside one of the bushings on teh part of teh bar that is actually straight.

As for leave it in or take it out. Mine is still in, as I drive on teh highway a lot with a bunch of crap in teh rtunk. I have an Addco in the front, so it may add something in the back to prevent over steer. I never actually tried to drive with it out, but perhaps I shuold to see if I can feel any difference.

-Chris

Starboard M said:
This is my DD, but I'm not stupid and I don't think that I have a sports car. I don't drive on the freeway very often, so most of my driving is on city streets, >45 mph.

I'm guessing you meant less than 45 (<45) Or do you drive greater than 45 all the time on your city streets? :looser: J/K

-Mike

I took mine off yesterday - it was hitting the new U bolts. Don't think I'm going to need it.

If you still like having the rear sway bar skyjacker makes a QD for it. I have one sitting in a box havent yet worked up the patience to go out there and see how many drill bits I can destroy by attempting to drill holes into that tough piece of S!@#.

Thor

Thor said:
If you still like having the rear sway bar skyjacker makes a QD for it. I have one sitting in a box havent yet worked up the patience to go out there and see how many drill bits I can destroy by attempting to drill holes into that tough piece of S!@#.

Thor

Do you have a part number for that?

-Chris

i guess not all lift kits are the same. on my RE6030 kit the instructions tell you to un-install the rear swaybar and leave it off. not being a smarta$$, but how does anyone run 31's and up with out rubbing your tires on the rear sway bar?? i have never had any problems with running with out one, and i'll run 65-70mph on the highway. i do still have my front though with disco's on it. total lift now is a little over 4 inches and 31's.

Well after posting my reply I decided to go out and install it. It's amazing what a good drill bit will do.. cut that bar like butter. Did break off one of the nuts inside the frame so only have one bolt holding the passenger side bushing on. The frame is too thin to try to just tap it. So I'm thinking maybe a threaded insert..Any other sugestions.

Sorry the part # is not listed on my kit instructions. You can call Skyjacker at 1-318-388-0816 or try there web site www.skyjacker.com

You can see a picture of it at there web site. The kit I have is the 6" RR Kit # JC601KS/N-DX. They are pictured on either side of the front qd's. They utillize parts from your original set up to mount to the u bolt.

But I do have to say there is nothin quick about these disconects. They may need some drilling to make it easier on the trail.

Good Luck!

Thor

I like antiroll bars (correct term for sway bar), they help in my case. I drive my jeep at its limits most of the time on back country roads. I still am 100% stock so it actually handles pretty good, I could use some new shocks though. That being said, there are reasons to have it off. If you think about the way an antiroll bar works, then most of you modifieds probably don't need one. Even as had been metioned several times, some factory Jeeps don't have them. When hitting normal bumps, it does almost nothing. When cornering, it tries to limit side to side differences by forcing backthe oppisite direction at a lifted or tucked wheel. It is like a torsion bar spring to dampen side to side movements. With stiffer leafs, it would take more force to compress the leaf, than to twist to antiroll bar. In this case, the bar does nothing. If you have soft springs (none of the aftermarket springs probably qualify except MAYBE the OME softer 2" option), the rear antiroll bar will help by adding spring stiffness in the corners. As for my own question: Are there available stiffer aftermarket antiroll bars available or are the towing package bars stiffer? ADDCO makes one, but is it stiffer? I prefer to run one, none of my trails require more flex than I have, and if I lift a tire, well I'll have lockers eventually to compensate for that.

So these just let teh ends of the sway bar lose when you disconnect? That is a really bad idea for the rear sway bar. The ends will have anice time ripping into the side wall of your tire when you are flexed.

-Chris

Thor said:
Well after posting my reply I decided to go out and install it. It's amazing what a good drill bit will do.. cut that bar like butter. Did break off one of the nuts inside the frame so only have one bolt holding the passenger side bushing on. The frame is too thin to try to just tap it. So I'm thinking maybe a threaded insert..Any other sugestions.

Sorry the part # is not listed on my kit instructions. You can call Skyjacker at 1-318-388-0816 or try there web site www.skyjacker.com

You can see a picture of it at there web site. The kit I have is the 6" RR Kit # JC601KS/N-DX. They are pictured on either side of the front qd's. They utillize parts from your original set up to mount to the u bolt.

But I do have to say there is nothin quick about these disconects. They may need some drilling to make it easier on the trail.

Good Luck!

Thor

if you want the other bolt in there drill it and use a self tapping bolt of appropriate size. that may seem a little ghetto, but that is what is holding the front half of my smittybilt steps, as per their instructions

PapaPump said:
As for my own question: Are there available stiffer aftermarket antiroll bars available or are the towing package bars stiffer? ADDCO makes one, but is it stiffer?
I know this question is from august, but the answer is....There is no such thing as a stiffer antiroll/sway bar, if you want it to be stiffer, install shorter links! The length of the link is what determines stiffness...
Buck :canada:

Buck Jackson said:
I know this question is from august, but the answer is....There is no such thing as a stiffer antiroll/sway bar, if you want it to be stiffer, install shorter links! The length of the link is what determines stiffness...
Buck :canada:

No, the length of the link determines the angle of the sway bar, not the stiffness. There is a specified correct range to set a sway bar at. And, yes there are stiffer sway bars for the XJ. I know Addco makes them. Don't know who else.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back