• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rare cars in your town

terrehautian

NAXJA Forum User
Don't have a full picture, but never heard of this car and I believe it isn't a kit car the only information I have found on it.

DSC_6512-1.jpg

There is a rare car in town that is worth millions.

2250295875_57e8269650_o.jpg

Chrysler Turbine car. There is less then 20 of these around and only two in private owners hands (Jay Leno owns one). Frank Kleptz was the guy who owned the one in town, he passed away in November. Sadly, I don't think his car collection will ever see the light of day as a collection (google it, an amazing collection) and the sons have no thought of keeping the collection from what I heard. I have never seen it personally and probably never will.

I got passed by a Bugati Veron (sp?) on the freeway Sunday afternoon.

the weitz car is a one off built on a 70's camaro chassis.

Built for a fashion designer.

<chuckle> A rare vehicle here probably has Minneapolis-Moline on the side of it.

When I was in high school, there was a Shelby GT500 428SCJ parked in a car port about a block from my school. There was also a little old lady 'had a Camaro with the cowl induction 302 homologation motor. Now I live a block from West World in Scottsdale, where they hold the Barrett-Jackson auction every year. Rare cars are not so rare around here.

Tom Malloy is local to me. He has a private collection worth MILLIONS. Most if not all are race cars (I only toured one warehouse).

He has Indy cars from the 20's, Ferrari's, GT's, Sprint cars, Lolas, Chaparrel.....

He bought the spare #98 that I helped build for Dan Gurney. There are only 4 of these in existence. They were the first sports cars built entirely around a carbon fiber tub. Rocky Moran stuffed it into a wall at Del Mar at it's debut. I thought they destroyed the car, but found out they hid it away... Malloy bought it and restored it and now Toyota pays his way to race at the Goodwood Festival. It still holds track records here in the U.S. almost 20 years later.

It's pic #34 here:

http://www.socalsaac.org/Picasa%20Web%20Exports/Malloy%20tour/index.html

Last edited:
My neighbor up here has a 60's corvette. The thing is cherry and mostly original.

I only mention it because I've ridden in it.

80 mph is horrifying in a car without seatbelts. Seriously.

There's an 88XJ and an 88MJ in my driveway and an 00XJ spread out across the garage in pieces, that's pretty rare as most of the neighbors have built Toyotas. :cheers:

When I was in high school, there was a Shelby GT500 428SCJ parked in a car port about a block from my school. There was also a little old lady 'had a Camaro with the cowl induction 302 homologation motor. Now I live a block from West World in Scottsdale, where they hold the Barrett-Jackson auction every year. Rare cars are not so rare around here.
Same here, i see in my neighborhood: Audi R8, Ferrari F430, Ferrari 612, Ferrari 360 Modena Shelby Mustang, also a dude with 4 or 5 vintage Fords, a Plymouth super-bird, Pontiac GTO, and not in my neighborhood but i see it often Rolls Royce drop headcoupe. and on my way to school i have seen: Ferrari Enzo, Ford GT40, Porsche 959, Lamborghini Murcielago. Gallardo, Saleen S7, Bentley GT, and Nissan GTR's are common

Last edited:
The cars around here are only Rare because they are expensive. They aren't really rare.

Porshe 911 GT3
A couple Vipers
A Ferrari or two.
A pinto..

Not necessarily a rare car, but one rare for my area, is the one in my garage: '81 DeLorean DMC-12. The car may have been long forgotten if it weren't for the BTTF movies. My coworker also rode in an Ariel Atom here, but recently found out that the owner crashed it. Figures. I would have loved to have seen it in person.

I work at JFK airport and our shop is at the cargo area. I had the pleasure of seeing this monster being unloaded at the loading docks for freighters. It didn't have the fiberglass cowl on and I got a good chance to see the motor.

www.padresfaith.com

dam jeeperguy21 beat me to having one of those in my area lol Guy owns one on my street. I would definately call them a rare car.

Not necessarily a rare car, but one rare for my area, is the one in my garage: '81 DeLorean DMC-12. The car may have been long forgotten if it weren't for the BTTF movies. My coworker also rode in an Ariel Atom here, but recently found out that the owner crashed it. Figures. I would have loved to have seen it in person.

My favorite movies!

I've always wanted to ride in one!

Do you grab the wheel with white knuckles and grit your teeth when you hit 87mph? Ya never know what's gunna happen next...

More importantly, does it have a flux capacitor?

Back