• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race Prep today in the desert. Race is tomorrow.

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
Spent my birthday afterrnoon with my wife out in the desert helping New Mexico Off Road League and Outlaw Desert Racing set up and pre-run the course for tomorrow's 4WHEEL PARTS CINCO DE BAJA 150.

Looks like it is going to be a fun course. Lots of high speed sections, sand, powder, a few arroyo's (one has to be knocked around a bit, had two rollovers today).

Early start tomorrow. 6:30 am meeting, then ATV's start tech at 7am. Trophy Trucks pre-run at 4pm, and race at 5pm. I will be there all day and into the night as a rescue vehicle. Looking forward to the race. Weather will be perfect, low to mid 80's and breezy.

Will hopefully get some good pics.

What a blast. Staff meeting was at 6:30 am... and just got home. Hell of a good time.
I think there was only one injury (ATV). UTV's were cool... but the trucks and buggies rocked. Was a little hectic being out on the track at the same time as them, very limited visibility due to the dust.

I have to be at work first thing in the morning... pics etc tomorrow sometime.

Due to underwheling interest...

Did not get many while the race was running, a bit busy at times and too dusty. And I toasted my wifes little Nikon. Oops.

Had a great time out there. Got a nice tan, my Jeep is filthy. I toasted two control arm bushings blasting across the track doing recovery... but otherwise a great way to spend my birthday weekend.

You have to dig the kids in the video too. 7 years old and off to a hell of a start. The kid in the black and white won, even after he flipped it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-T69rY0vPU

Pics:
4WHEEL PARTS CINCO DE BAJA 150 pictures by gcb67 - Photobucket

DSCN0548.jpg

White one, yes. Was the only XJ out on the course. I think I saw one in the pits though.

Wife shot these on her cell at the start line.
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image.jpg

Glenn, all I got to say is.......

You suck.

Just because you're posting up fun pics of desert racing.

Glenn, all I got to say is.......
You suck.
Just because you're posting up fun pics of desert racing.

It was a blast. Still cleaing the interior of the XJ.

So far, looks like I only toasted an upper control arm bushing (on axle). Not bad, considering I pre-ran and post race swept the track. And got airborne (oops) a few times while doing recovery.

Any details on that vehicle in your pics with the airbag suspension?

I was scratching my head at that one. Some sort of motorcycle engine, 1000cc IIRC. I think a C6 trans. I dunno, the thing looked like it belonged in a swamp, as opposed to a higher speed course. It looked quite heavy as well.

As I was taking a pic of it, the driver was telling somebody how it was now impossible to overheat it. I believe it was the beginning of the second lap it was stopped dead. We made contact... guess what? It overheated.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing. The above mentioned vehicle sure is awkward looking. Appears pretty top heavy too.

the driver was telling somebody how it was now impossible to overheat it. I believe it was the beginning of the second lap it was stopped dead. We made contact... guess what? It overheated.
How's that go?....

Those who design to make something completely fool-proof most often fail to take into account the ingenuity of complete fools.

..,that was it.

Spent my birthday afterrnoon with my wife out in the desert helping New Mexico Off Road League and Outlaw Desert Racing set up and pre-run the course for tomorrow's 4WHEEL PARTS CINCO DE BAJA 150.

Looks like it is going to be a fun course. Lots of high speed sections, sand, powder, a few arroyo's (one has to be knocked around a bit, had two rollovers today).

Early start tomorrow. 6:30 am meeting, then ATV's start tech at 7am. Trophy Trucks pre-run at 4pm, and race at 5pm. I will be there all day and into the night as a rescue vehicle. Looking forward to the race. Weather will be perfect, low to mid 80's and breezy.

Will hopefully get some good pics.

Why didn't I see this thread three days ago? I could have been there. :rattle:

It's alright. It probably wouldn't have been much fun in the Civic I brought out to Albuquerque.

Still, :doh:

I often have a free seat. You could have spent some time out on the track with me. Maybe another time.

As I was taking a pic of it, the driver was telling somebody how it was now impossible to overheat it. I believe it was the beginning of the second lap it was stopped dead. We made contact... guess what? It overheated.

My keyboard is sticky from the soda I just sprayed all over it!

Trade ya a keyboard for some motor mounts. LOL

But yeah, I was scratching my head over that entire vehicle thing. Quite odd.

Back