• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R12 to R134a conversion done..

Rags

NAXJA Forum User
I finally broke down and converted my 1990 XJ to R134.... been doing my once a season for the past 8 years A/c service, R12 when it was cheap and plentiful, then Freeze12 conversion last few years and now cant get that locally...my Jeep went 10 years before the A/C needed service.... I really wanted to get the hoses converted to galaxy stuff this time around, but not enough funds.... I hit my fav A/C place locally in Tucson whom have hooked me over the years for various vehicles I repaired A/C on....

I have the ford style gate valve/service ports Jeep used for a few years, and the placement of the service ports wont let you use the run of the mill A/C retrofit kit from Autozone etc as the conversion valves are straight and the high side port will end up in the upper radiator hose and the low side is kinda quirky to get the hose connect from your gauges on the valve.......

He gave me:
Coolpro CP0106 90 degree 13mm x 1/4" R134a adapter w/cap and valve core
Coolpro CP0107 90 degree 16mm x 3/16" r134a adapter w/cap and valve core
8 ounce bottle of Coolpro POE 100 Polyol Ester oil that is compitable with r12 and R134.......

I drained system, added 90 degree R134 service ports with some teflon tape, removed the valve cores from adapters as not needed, pulled fill plug on top of compressor, added 4 ounces of oil, updated o-ring to 134r on fill plug, removed high and low side hoses from gate valves on compressor, changed orings to 134r rings, added 2 ounces of oil into high side hose and reinstalled..... then hooked up gauges and only opened up low side port on compressor, shut off high side, opened up gauge low side valve and hooked up vacuum pump, vacuumed 1/2 hour..shut off gauge low side, took off pump... then added 1x 12 ounce can r134 and fired up jeep... turned A/C to max.... opened up high side gate valve on compressor to get reading on high side gauge,DONT OPEN UP HIGH SIDE VALVE ON GAUGES WITH VEHICLE RUNNING....Let compressor run for a bit and added 6 ounces.... let it run..... I ended up adding the rest of second can, it seemed to cool the best and the sight glass ended up clear.... it just wasnt cold enough with glass frothy.... pressures seemed good for 98 degrees ambient temp, around 250 psi high side and 40 psi low side, 42 degrees out the vents at idle, and colder driving around town in 100 degree weather.......

Owner of the A/C place I got the stuff from told me some vehicles work better with less r134, depends on the vehicle, so experimental on how much to add........... He said just adding the oil he gave me to the system wont harm anything and the way I did the quick conversion...... but he gave me the low down I should update all the hoses since R134 will leak threw the old hoses meant for r12, flush out the entire system, change the drier, empty compressor and install fresh Polyol Ester Oil and change all o-rings to the 134r compitable to do it right....but what I did will get me by...... I dont mind servicing my A/C once a season which I do anyway..... $10.65 a can for R134 I can stomach:)...I hope this A/C conversion charge lasts once a year!

The whole conversion cost me $45.00 bucks.......
Shop around Ebay could save a few bucks on adapters, also Dollar General has the best prices on R134 12 ounce can at $10.65 each :)

I think the Autozone retrofit kit is $55.00 plus tax, has 33 ounces of 134r with conversion oil mixed in with the freon, adaptors that wont work to well with gate valve style service ports and a fill hose for low side.......

Also I bought the R134 o-ring kit from Harbor Frieght many years ago...that has paid for itself and worth getting if you do alot of A/C work or hate running back and fourth to get orings you need from the store.....

Probably alot of threads floating around on A/C retrofit from R12 to r134, just wanted to share my experince!

Gotta have A/C living in Arizona :skull2::peace:

Back