• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about Lost Coast/Usal Rd

american_zero

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys. The fiance and I are looking into some possible overnight camping options over the 4th of July weekend and are considering Lost Coast. I've got a stock 93, 4.0, NP231, AW4 on 30" tires, but I don't think the trails will pose a problem from what I've seen. I looked through old threads with pictures and descriptions and I more worried about running into trouble with the folks out that way. Seen some mention of harvest season and sticking to the main trails (no idea when harvest season is). Should we be concerned at all about running into the wrong people out that way? Is it likely to be crowded over the holiday weekend? Anything in particular to do, watch out for, places to see, routes to take, etc? I've been searching online for info, but haven't run across any good maps or coordinates for camp sites or trailheads.

The other option is to head up towards the Pinecrest area and hit up at least a few of the trails in that area. I've got that Nor. Cal Off Road Adventures book and there's a ton of trails in that area that would keep us busy for a couple of days. I feel a little safer in that area with just the two of us and our dog (only because I am more familiar with the Sierras than with the north coast).

Either way, I'm sure we'll have fun. Just looking for more info on the Lost Coast area since I know next to nothing about it.

harvest will be in October..i honestly would not worry about it, its not like "that" out there anymore....hit the Lost coast with your girl and have a good time. be safe!

I have done the trail, and I live in the area.

People grow marijuana up here. Certain growers grow in that area. When we went, someone had cut down a tree, and blocked the trail. It was probably to stop us. There are crazy rednecks up here that will shoot if you are in the wrong area. The trail is safe though, and that kind of thing only happens during october. If you see solar panels, or mysterious water pumps/drip systems, go away. We ended up winching the tree out of the way, but it took 4 of us to move it.

Its a fun trail, but don't do it alone. If you break down, you'll be in an uncomfortable situation. It took us 3 hours to run the actual trail, then we went to the beach, and left taking the highway out. Its just a lumber road, (USA-Lumber). There may be some washed out, muddy areas, but we had no problems.

And hahaha... no, it's doesn't get crowded. Welcome to Mendocino county, where you can go all day and only see handfuls of people.

UsalRoadLostCoast09001.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09011.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09032.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09060.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09090.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09096.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09119.jpg

UsalRoadLostCoast09126.jpg

Its worth it for spots like this. (This was at the end near the beach.)
UsalRoadLostCoast09116.jpg

man i feel like im a drunk driver in this pic...im still trying to focus
UsalRoadLostCoast09032.jpg

Sounds like some good advice. Interesting how you two have opposite opinions though. :) Also seems like plenty of people take this trip solo, so I am inclined to give it a shot. Of course, if there is a tree down in the road I'll probably have to turn back due to not having a winch. Damn decisions!

sure they grow pot...but its nothing like it use to be. you will be fine, i think Sean said the same. just don't wonder off on a "game" trail to find yourself in the middle of a field,lol. they don't just grow on the side of the road, you have to go looking for trouble and you will find it.

I live in the area and have traveled Usal trail many times, and have led several NAXJA trail rides through there. As mentioned, stick to the road itself and you'll be fine. Take it slow and watch out for oncoming traffic as the trail is pretty narrow. Mostly, it's motorcyclist you need to keep an eye out for, because they take the trail pretty fast sometimes.

The one time I didn't bring my chain saw, we came across the tree in Sean's photos. On any of the Humboldt area trails, I alway bring a chain saw because you just never know. But Usal Trail should be ok. Worst case is you just turn back.

If you come in from the Hwy 1 side, be real cautious on the incoming road because there is quite a bit of traffic heading towards Usal Beach. Once past the beach / camp ground area you should be fine.

Thanks for that - unfortunately I don't own a chainsaw or I would bring it. I was just looking up more info on the Sinkyone Wilderness and the rest of that area and it sounds like dogs aren't allowed on most of the trails, which is a bummer. We would like to go hiking with our buddy if possible.

Do you guys have any suggestions for the best places to camp in that area? Staying on the beach would be awesome. I'm not sure if we'll just do one night or two. Maybe it's pretty self explanatory once you're there . . .drive to beach and camp where you can. :)

By the way, those shots are making me itch for a lift and some good A/T's!

As mentioned, there is actually camping allowed at Usal about a 1/4 mile, if that, from the beach area. It's on a first come first serve basis. For October, in the middle of the week, almost guarantees you a spot. Plus October is a really nice time of the year there....not ungodly hot, but not too cold either.

The chain saw comment was just a precautionary measure... you probably wouldn't need it....

We went for a day trip out there in april while in the area. It was worth the trip. I look forward to going back and camping.

Looks like we're going to give it a shot and try camping on the beach. Should be a nice trip. Just need to pick up an axe and a shovel before we go. And maybe something we can lock food in to keep the bears out of it. Don't want them messing with my beer. :)

We are actually into photography and are really looking forward to the views out that way! We usually spend our time in the Sierras so a change of scenery will be nice.

Drove out to Usal Rd on Saturday. Made a few stops on the way so we didn't get there until about 5pm. I guess the Lost Coast has been found! It was packed. Lots of trucks driving all over the beach, in the creek, throughout the campgrounds, etc. Took a look around and the pit toilets were a complete mess, dumpsters were overflowing, lots of garbage on the beach. Unfortunately, this wasn't what we had in mind so we turned around and headed back to Fort Bragg for the night. It's a nice area but we were just hoping for some peace and quiet. On the way out on Usal Rd a Suburban passed by us loaded up with pallets so I am guessing they had a pretty big bonfire that night as well.

Oh well. :(

sorry to hear it did'nt work out as planned..Ft.Bragg is nice though!! lol

Can't complain too much. Had a good time regardless. I was just really surprised to find that many people out there.

Back