• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question For You All

I'm just farting around right now, kicking around ideas in my head and killing time before I'm ready to jump into something else. I do appreciate the offers of assistance and will probably hold a work-party of some sort once I'm ready to dig in.

Meanwhile, someone will buy that MJ sooner or later. Dude's got a couple grand tied up just in suspension, wheels and tires.

Do it, MJ's are cool. I want one when I grow up.???????:laugh3:
And from what I saw at NW Fest I'd say it's got less glass to break out.
And of course do a trans. swap to an NV4500, hello.;)

fixed it

The reason I'm even considering this is because it's already got things done to it and would take basically an axle-swap to be wheelable. The tranny swap would be a 90% likely deal in short order too. I would be able to sell/use most of my salvaged XJ parts, sell the stuff off the MJ I didn't want (lift is too high, stock axles are crap) and in basically a long weekend I could throw on a bed-mounted roll bar and be good to go. I would be comfortable building a cab/bed exo for this too, moreso than an XJ. My XJ will require a huge initial investment before I'll be willing to wheel it, and I'm kind of sick of having to worry about/drag the box and all the glass through the trees.

I don't know, this is just a "thinking aloud" type of thread. I'll probably do nothing and sit on my ass for the next six months Jeep-wise while paying some other stuff off.

IF you don't really need the extra seating of the XJ I think the MJ route makes a LOT of sense.

Michael

IF you don't really need the extra seating of the XJ I think the MJ route makes a LOT of sense.

Michael

Xelevenbillion.
:shhh:

Coming from someone who's owned and wheeled both.....

Depending on how good your xj is set up, i'd honestly go with the xj. heres my reason why:

Mj's are great, semi rare, attention getters, and are just plain cool. but the lack space. I didnt have the stock bench in mine for very long, but with the honda prelude buckets in there, it was pretty cramped.

also, you have virtually no dry storage, unless you get a camper shell. wheeling with a camper shell sucks. say goodbye to visability out your rear window, and hello huge blind spots.

Long beds are just too long. If you wheeled with me when i had my MJ, you'll know why i say this. That being said, I'm not sure how much longer MJ's wheelbases are then XJ's, but the added wheelbase was sure nice on long, steep hill climbs.

Not trying to steer you away from an mj, just sharing my opinion. If they had an extended cab/short bed version, i would have kept mine.

Thanks for all of the feedback. The MJ is still sitting there teasing me, but I'm still undecided, a lot of very good points made by you all to chew on and mull over. I suppose I'll take it as a sign of sorts the longer that truck beckons me from under it's shade tree. :D

MJ's are cool, and I'd love to have mild one for a daily driver. But to wheel one, I'd be too tempted to yank the box and start adding tube.

Im pretty sure I know what MJ your talking about the guys name is Tyler I went to high school with him and his brother they're both ASE techs and he is pretty anal about buying and installing the best parts even though the guy really isnt a wheeler. I'm pretty sure he has a dana44 sitting in the garage at his parents house thats ready for the rear, and the lift and tires are less then a year old with maybe 1500 miles on it, and the closest thing to wheeling that its seen is snow

Really Joe... I have serious doubts about anyone who would advise anyone... especially someone who normally wears sweats... to respond to an add that requires them to ask for the GOD FINGER :shocked:

Hey, there was no price listed on that sweet 'Manche Joe linked. That must be because it's PRICELESS!

Back