• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality of Tomken Products

MoulderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have tomken coil springs and i was looking into buying some tomken leaf springs. i contacted them and their 4 inch springs are 185 per pair and their 6 inch springs are 220 per pair. My question is why are tomken springs that much cheaper than RE or Rustys? How do their leaf packs ride? more or less lift than advertised?

Rev Den said:
I have the 4" - No Problems.

Rev

No problems? Look what they did to the top of Rev's Jeep!!

okay -
can't speak to their springs, but their rear bumper has held up to all the abuse I've heaped on it with no drama whatsoever.
The powdercoat on it blew, but that's cosmetic and will be dealt with when I add a tire carrier this summer.

Last edited:
I have their rear 4" springs and they seem fine. They flex well and are holding their lift height fine. They are a little firm but make carrying loads nice as they don't sag a ton.

Weasel said:
I have their rear 4" springs and they seem fine. They flex well and are holding their lift height fine. They are a little firm but make carrying loads nice as they don't sag a ton.

Well... I picked up a set from a friend who picked them up from another friend and well, they looked fine when I put them in. After about 2~3 weeks my jeep was leaning to one side and it turned out that one leaf spring must have been originally on the tire carrier side couple owners back and well... it "wore out" to be "tweaked" (around Eye it started to do reverse sag). In any case I called up Tomken asking what can be done, can they warranty, maybe just get a replacement main or something (I wanted to pay some but expected them also to throw in some) and they really blew me off. I mean it was really odd: no chance to talk about it, no choices to make as to what can be done, the second I said I wasn't the original owner they said: sorry, bye, have a nice day. I was kind of dissapointed as IMHO leafs should not get to the point that mine got and at least they could offer me options to buy another pack at a discount or something and send those in for them to take a look at...

Anyways, I put in 3.5" RE leafs and I'm not looking back...... ANother thing with the TOmken leaf packs: get rubber bushings as the poly ones will drive you up the wall with the squeeks!

their rear springs are real nice. i have the 6" pack, 8 leafs, ride nice. they used to have problems with their kits but they redesigned everything and now it seems quality to me. There was one thing i have to modify when i installed their lift, which was a track bar bracket mounting hole that had to be hogged out some

Last edited:
i have there 6" pack (7 leaf). since i drive empty and i have no interior it took a while for them to settle. in fact i had to add 2" spacers in the front (6"sj/rr) to level it out, it still sits a tad high in the rear. PLENTY of room for 35's.
i also have their front & rear bumpers and upper and lower c.a.
but they need to work on their painting technique. bumpers were flaking and leafs had surface rust. nothing a little krylon and line-x couldnt take care of.
hth
-g

Kejtar, thats wierd. Mine arn't even new, I bought them used of somebody. I don't know what mind of bushings they have but I haven't noticed any sqeaking.

Weasel said:
Kejtar, thats wierd. Mine arn't even new, I bought them used of somebody. I don't know what mind of bushings they have but I haven't noticed any sqeaking.

LOL.. yeah.. tell me about it.... It is very possible that my case was somewhat rare as there are quite a few people who are happy with their Tomken packs.... what was dissapointing to me was how Tomken handled it as I can understand on occasion things going bad for whatever reason, but I expected for them to work with me at least a little bit.

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
Well... I picked up a set from a friend who picked them up from another friend and well, they looked fine when I put them in. After about 2~3 weeks my jeep was leaning to one side and it turned out that one leaf spring must have been originally on the tire carrier side couple owners back and well... it "wore out" to be "tweaked" (around Eye it started to do reverse sag). In any case I called up Tomken asking what can be done, can they warranty, maybe just get a replacement main or something (I wanted to pay some but expected them also to throw in some) and they really blew me off. I mean it was really odd: no chance to talk about it, no choices to make as to what can be done, the second I said I wasn't the original owner they said: sorry, bye, have a nice day. I was kind of dissapointed as IMHO leafs should not get to the point that mine got and at least they could offer me options to buy another pack at a discount or something and send those in for them to take a look at...

Anyways, I put in 3.5" RE leafs and I'm not looking back...... ANother thing with the TOmken leaf packs: get rubber bushings as the poly ones will drive you up the wall with the squeeks!

Remi,

Tomken treated you just right!

YOU ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER! I'm sure right in the warranty! ALL manufactures only warranty to the ORIGINAL OWNER! You didn't buy squat from them why would you ever expect a MFG to warranty that part for you. Sound like a bunch of whining on your part to me. Buy some new ones and have a problem and I'm sure they would take care of you.

Don't make a MFG sound bad because you're trying to cheat them out of something and you didn't get your way.

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
Remi,

Tomken treated you just right!

YOU ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER! I'm sure right in the warranty! ALL manufactures only warranty to the ORIGINAL OWNER! You didn't buy squat from them why would you ever expect a MFG to warranty that part for you. Sound like a bunch of whining on your part to me. Buy some new ones and have a problem and I'm sure they would take care of you.

Don't make a MFG sound bad because you're trying to cheat them out of something and you didn't get your way.

mark
Mark I wasn't going to contact the manufacturer originally, but quite a few people that have tomken products told me to do so as what has happened is supposed to be uncommon. The manufacturer was not at the very least interested, which was very surprising to me (and others that I spoke with later), as in their place I would want to know what would cause the springs to fail like that... Did I hope to get something?? Yeah.. maybe a small discount on a new set or something like that. As I said, I was interested in working with them and didn't expect to get a new set for free.
And no I'm not whining, I'm just mentioning about my experience which is what the poster has asked about: who knows maybe he will run into an interesting deal on used springs and this wil make him consider what are the possible reprecussions...
Now if I wanted to whine, I'd have a huge post saying how bad their products and service is.... And if I wanted to cheat them I could claim I purchased them from them but have lost my receipt, won a new set in a raffle or something to that effect.... so why don't you get your facts straight before you accuse anyone of something...

Mark, that how the business often wroks but thats not how it should work. Your products should a warrentied period. What does who had it first have to do with it. It's a cope out for manufactors if you ask me.

Example:
HK firearms have a lifetime warrenty on them, for any owner.
SigArms has the same type of deal. Warrenty work isn't based on a single owner.
My Smith sunglasses are the same way. I have part warrentied from them on used glasess I bought.

Now some items just plain wear out so that does need to be considered but multiple ownersship should not imediatly mean no warrenty. Tomken should have atleast taken the time to figure out how old the springs where, ect.

Weasel said:
Mark, that how the business often wroks but thats not how it should work. Your products should a warrentied period. What does who had it first have to do with it. It's a cope out for manufactors if you ask me.

Thank you.... Even if they chose not to do anything it was the lack of interest that really surprised me..

Back